• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is proper infant carrier safety important for your baby's well-being?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of infant carrier safety. The speaker expresses frustration that their friends do not seem to know or care about proper safety measures when using infant carriers in a vehicle. They seek advice on how to approach the situation and express their strong belief in prioritizing child safety. Other participants in the conversation share their own experiences and opinions on the matter, including the importance of following manufacturer guidelines and seeking professional help for proper installation. The conversation also touches on the topic of transitioning children to booster seats and the speaker's personal decision to keep their child in a carseat for longer. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of taking infant carrier safety seriously and seeking out accurate information and guidance.
stefani2
I have a few friends who have recently had babies. NONE of them seem to know the proper Infant Carrier safety - and when I brought it to their attention they didn't seem to care. You have to put the handle of an Infant Carrier down/back when driving a vehicle for safety reasons. #1 you can get a ticket #2 it keeps your baby safe during a collision.

Any suggestions on what I could say to them? I don't understand why they don't seem to care/listen. I feel really strongly about this....

This is one of those things that if you have mentioned it you just need to let it go. If you decide that the people doing this are not as contientious as you then you need to make a decision on what is best for you and who you associate with.

These Safety issues were huge with me when I had my kids. I drove my Hubby nuts making sure the kids were buckled properly. Especially after watching his sister barely buckling her 4 at all.

I've been in similar situations, where I don't think a family member knew what was safer. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I just dug through old pamphlets & magazines & found articles on that particular subject. When I gave them to her, all I said was "Here's some stuff I was given when Libby was a baby. Just wanted to pass it on to you."

I work for an area police department and we have an officer that has been trained/educated on proper installation of baby seats. We have individuals all the time calling to set up an appointment to make sure they have them installed correctly. Child safety should never be taken lightly.

I take my kids safety very seriously. I get so mad when I see a parent disregard the safety of their baby. So I can totally relate. But keep in mind being a new parent can be very overwhelming. Be kind and give them some helpful advice. Maybe doing some research and find out where a child seat inspector is in your area would be helpful.

My personal pet peeve is when people turn their kids around, just because the minimum of one year and 20 lbs is met. I rear face my toddler until the seat's max limits. My kids are on the chunky side so they don't make it to 2, but I know of many kids that are small enough to be rear facing until 3.

stefani2 said:
You have to put the handle of an Infant Carrier down/back when driving a vehicle for safety reasons. #1 you can get a ticket #2 it keeps your baby safe during a collision.

Any suggestions on what I could say to them? I don't understand why they don't seem to care/listen. I feel really strongly about this....

Not true. Some car seats allow you to leave it up. You have to read the manual.

The Graco Safe Seat is one where it's ok to leave the handle up.

You do have to check with your officers and the manufacturers info. I know that two of them that I had you had to keep the handle up and our friend was the "car seat policeman" that did the seat checks for many years and he insisted they be up.

Yep, we had Graco car seats with all our kids. The older ones said you had to have the handle back, but the newer one we got for the younger kids said it had to either be all the way up or all the way back, it couldn't be in the in between positions. But I know what you mean about how some people ignore car seat safety. I just usually bring it up once in a casual way, other than that I'd recommend them check the manual because the manufacturers change things/laws change so it's good to read up on it.

oh - my sister is a car seat inspector and the police officer who I took the seats too said ALL infant carriers handles have to be down. I wonder if Canada is different???

I totally agree with you. My son will be 5 next month. Here in TN at 4 years they can go in a booster seat. As soon as my sisters stepdaughter-who they have custody of -turned 4, or before actually, they went out and bought a booster just because it is so much easier. It gripes me. My son is 42 inches and weighs 38 lbs, he is still in his carseat. He has an Alpha Omega Elite which we can pull the straps out and it turns into a full seat back booster. But it scares me, for now he can still fit very comfortable in the seat with the 5 point harness and thats where he is going to stay for now. He doesn't complain cause he knows no different and it makes me feel safer.

babywings76 said:
Yep, we had Graco car seats with all our kids. The older ones said you had to have the handle back, but the newer one we got for the younger kids said it had to either be all the way up or all the way back, it couldn't be in the in between positions.

But I know what you mean about how some people ignore car seat safety. I just usually bring it up once in a casual way, other than that I'd recommend them check the manual because the manufacturers change things/laws change so it's good to read up on it.

I have a Graco one too, and I remember assuming that it had to be handle down, and then I re-checked the manual, and it said either all the way or all the way down is fine, just not any of the in between positions.

And with the handle all the way up, the good thing is that it actually acts like a roll bar and gives some protection if the carrier was hit by something or if it came loose (or was dropped) and tipped, the handle would protect the baby, especially if it ended up up-side down.

All the way down is good for if it is on a surface where you don't want it to rock for some reason.

Last edited:
My boys have the Britax Marathon that'll keep 'em in a 'seat' 'til they are 65 pounds. I have to watch tho...my 5yo is very tall for his age and he outgrows carseats because of his length...not his weight. My Graco infant seat said 26" and he was out of it in 4 months. CRAZY. So then I found the Britax that we could use rear/forward facing and that could last a few years for him.

I know what you are saying about others tho. I had the same situation here...I did a lot of research on the Britax seats before investing in them (they are spendy..but child safety is worth it) and then I shared it with her. That helped...sharing the safety rating and crash test info and the personal ratings.

Last edited:
My 5.5 yo is still in the Marathon as well. It's spendy, but it lasts forever so it really ends up being the same amount of money spent because the other cheaper seats are outgrown in height so quickly.

1. What is the recommended weight limit for an infant carrier?

The recommended weight limit for an infant carrier is typically around 22 pounds. However, it's always best to check the specific weight limit for the carrier you are using.

2. Can I use an infant carrier on a stroller?

Yes, most infant carriers are compatible with strollers. However, it's important to check the compatibility of your specific carrier and stroller before using them together.

3. How do I know if my infant carrier is installed correctly?

It's important to carefully read the manufacturer's instructions for your specific carrier. Generally, the carrier should be securely attached to the car seat using the designated straps and should not move more than an inch in any direction.

4. Can I use an infant carrier in the front seat of a car?

No, it is not recommended to use an infant carrier in the front seat of a car. The safest place for an infant carrier is in the back seat, facing backwards.

5. How long can my baby stay in an infant carrier?

It is recommended to limit the time a baby spends in an infant carrier to 2 hours at a time. Extended periods of time in a carrier can put pressure on the baby's developing spine and can also increase the risk of overheating or suffocation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Addie4TLC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • chefann
  • General Chat
Replies