• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Unfortunate Reality of the Worst Oscars Show Ever

In summary, the Oscars were terrible. Seth MacFarlane was terrible as the host and the material he was given was dreadful. The musical numbers were well-played but lacked the punch of earlier years. Michelle Obama's presentation was a low point, and the Losers ode was a disaster. The best moment was the Red Carpet show.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Worst

Oscars

Show

Ever.

agreed! I'd take the aweful job David Letterman did hosting anyday over what's his name. It was just horrible!

I didn't watch the whole thing, but his joke about John Wilkes Booth getting into Abraham Lincoln's head was just tacky.

I didn't watch it all either, but what I did see of Seth McFarlane was pretty horrible. It seemed like a quarter of the way in he started apologizing for himself and never stopped. I miss Billy Crystal. They messed up some of the sound, too. Catherine Zeta Jones's "All That Jazz" number downplayed her vocals so you could hardly hear her in part of it. I was surprised they picked that as one of the musicals to highlight. The "Les Mis" number was great, and I haven't even seen the movie or musical. It was nice that one movie didn't sweep all of the awards. I just love Ben Affleck so was glad to see him win at the end after not even being nominated for Best Director.

Seth MacFarlane was awful at delivering the even worse material that was written. The Capt Kirk skit was a good concept but the writing was terrible. The "Boobs" number was in poor taste and had no place at the beginning of the show when kids might be watching - not to mention, with a 9 year old nominee in the audience.Michelle Obama making a presentation? Gimme a break. After the debacle of political acceptance speeches a few years ago, the Academy said they were going to avoid politics. So much for that concept - and MacFarlane took a cheap shot at Christians, too.The Lincoln/Booth joke was, at best, in poor taste. Lincoln was arguably the best president in history and far too important to be reduced to the punch line of a bad joke. It was actually painful for me to watch.

so glad I refuse to watch ANY awards show

I've never watched them either, but just the COMMERCIAL for them with Seth McFarlane made me very confused...his "joke" about people being surprised he was hosting and then he just stood there quiet for 10 seconds. What the heck?!?!? :confused: I knew it would be a bomb with him....reviews seem to agree!

Staggering. The choreographed numbers were fine, but I guess I'd rather see an actual member of the academy do a news release and say who was nominated then who won in a 20 minute blurb, than what it has devolved into.Boobs = -2 out of 10. Didn't have the punch of T&A from Chorus Line, and just offensive. What were they thinking? Michelle O = -1 out of 10. Who were the people standing behind her - why were they not mentioned or introduced? Our military matters. They should have been recognized; another case of Obama miss [and Obama misses]. The music while well-played, had nothing to do with the people walking up or leaving the set. Lame x 10. The one best emcee moment was prepping Meryl Streep, "who needs no introduction" / Seth's walk off stage. It was pretty funny. Second best moment was when Meryl didn't pause after "and the Oscar goes to..." but just said they guys name immediately. Class after so much trash.

Scott, at the risk of sounding like I'm defending the Academy (I'm not,) the music selections were all Oscar winners from the past, that's why they had nothing to do with the current movie or stars. I wish I had kept a list of all the tunes played, but offhand, I remember the haunting theme from Laura and Tara's Theme (from Gone with The Wind.) I did like how they cut off the speeches with the theme from Jaws.

After not watching the Awards for several years, I decided to give them another try. WHY???? Thanks goodness I recorded it so was able to fast forward through the commercials and much of the show. In addition to the above mentioned low points...did anyone see the last number? It was an ode to the "Losers" and it was just AWFUL - I turned it off after about 1 minute when it was obvious it wasn't going to get better. And personally, I would rather the winners had a bit more time to thank people, rather than listen to the inane 'jokes' and commentary by the host and presenters. I do love the Red Carpet show and seeing all the beautiful outfits. And, most of the outfits this year were beautiful, classic Hollywood style gowns - very elegant.

You know, it is so bizarre that Hollywood with all it's money, acting, and experience putting out productions can't seem to make a nice awards ceremony. So lame. I haven't watched it in years, mainly because years ago when it seemed that they put movies that I hadn't even heard of as the nominees and the popular movies were ignored, it just turned me off. I thought the night was always stuffy and they were rude with not giving the winners more than 10 seconds to say something. To bring something fun to this thread...have you guys seen this video yet? It's so funny. Oscar for the funniest speech goes to... - YouTube

Hollywood, in general, has gotten terribly impressed with itself over the last couple of decades. It has gotten arrogant and most of these people think they are royalty, so far above the hoi palloi that they can do whatever they want, and we'll just line up and pay for it. And for the most part, we do.Hollywood has also gotten very political, probably since the McCarthy witch hunt back in the 1950s. As it turns out, McCarthy was right, but he had nothing to go on and the whole thing turned into a debacle. The blacklisting of talent was terrible because the blacklisted people had as much right to speak their minds as anyone else does.Hollywood types are unashamedly left leaning, and in their arrogance, believe everyone should think the way they do and agree with them. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't preach their views everywhere. When I see a movie, or an awards show, I want to be entertained, not preached at.

I watched the last half and found it to be very boring. I usually like Seth, but his bits seemed uninspiring and cheap.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Scott, at the risk of sounding like I'm defending the Academy (I'm not,) the music selections were all Oscar winners from the past, that's why they had nothing to do with the current movie or stars. I wish I had kept a list of all the tunes played, but offhand, I remember the haunting theme from Laura and Tara's Theme (from Gone with The Wind.) I did like how they cut off the speeches with the theme from Jaws.
I totally get it, selections as winners past. But were they by year, by theme, by genre, they just seemed by whim. In my Other job, I am very familiar with music on a professional level. But the well-performed selections had zero to do with the person who was either being awarded, or the person who was introducing. Just lame-o for something that could have, with better thought, been done better. I missed the 'jaws' thing - I'll have to watch it again. (We TIVO'd it to ffwd over comercials and incidentals.)

In that case, I'm with you. It did seem like a rather random selection process.

Love watching award shows on my DVR. Three hours of recording watched in about 45 minutes! Boring hit the button, corny hit the button, commercials hit the button...

Best button on the TV. Second best is the MUTE button!

I use that one a lot during campaign/election season.

What went wrong during the Oscars show?

The 2019 Oscars show faced several mishaps, including a lack of host, technical difficulties, and a major mistake during the award for Best Picture.

Who was responsible for the mistake during the Best Picture award?

The mistake during the Best Picture award was attributed to PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), the accounting firm responsible for tabulating the results and handing out the envelopes.

Why was there no host for the 2019 Oscars?

The decision to go without a host was made after Kevin Hart stepped down from the role due to controversy surrounding past homophobic tweets.

How did the lack of a host affect the show?

Many viewers felt that the show lacked cohesion without a host to guide the evening's events. The lack of a monologue and comedic bits also left the show feeling less entertaining.

Will there be a host for future Oscars shows?

It is uncertain if the Oscars will have a host in the future. The Academy has stated that they are open to the idea of going without a host again, but there may also be efforts to find a suitable host for future shows.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • lisaterwilliger
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • erinyourpclady
  • General Chat
Replies