• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Opinions Needed: Treadmill or Stationery Bike

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of owning a treadmill or stationary bike for exercising at home. The participants share their personal experiences with both types of equipment and offer advice on how to choose the right one based on individual preferences and usage. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering space and cost when making a decision.

Whici do you prefer?

• Treadmill

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Stationery Bike

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jrstephens
We are thinking of getting either a treadmill or stationery bike. There have been several nights that we have not been able to walk either for rain or my parents not being at home to keep the kids and I do not want Cole out in the "misquito time of the night."

The last excercise equipment I bought was an eliptical and I sold it for a loss several months after buying. No we are thinking about buying another kind again, ha!

What is yall's opinion?

I would much rather have a treadmill, but I would never buy one without trying it out a few times first. I use treadmills for walking and running, and if I bought one it would have to be very sturdy and high quality. In other words, probably too expensive to purchase. My neighbor has a really nice treadmill, and she lets me use it when the weather isn't cooperating. I think stationary bikes are boring.

We had a treadmill for a long time and rarely used it. Got rid of it and later bought a stationary bike. We don't use it all the time either but it takes much less space and we do use it much more than we ever did the treadmill.

We had a treadmill and a stationary bike, but never used the bike, so we sold it. I know our treadmill was a more expensive model when we purchased it (8+ years ago), but it still is very nice. We got this one because the of the wide variety of options - capable of significant speed and pretty steep incline, preset workout options and could handle DH's running style (he runs very hard) and the most important, IT FOLDS UP! So when it isn't in use (much more often now than I would like), it doesn't take up much floor space!!! Oh yeah and we have never used it, but it does have some sort of TV/internet connectivity thing as well.

My biggest adversion to the bike was that I never have been partial to riding a bike. I did like the workout ours gave me and it had the handlebars that you could lock in place or move if you wanted. But, I found myself using it only when I couldn't use the treadmill for some reason.

You need to stop and think about what you like about exercising and that will help you decide. Don't just look at the features of the equipment, because the features don't matter if you don't use it. If you are looking for something to do mainly when you can't walk outside, you might be better off with a treadmill. But if you are looking for something a bit different, the bike might be better.

At the gym I would much rather use the treadmill than the bike, but at home I would much rather ride my bike than walk around the block. Also, if I'm feeling a bit lazy it is the BIKE all the way.

I think the other ladies gave you really valuable tips and suggestions though. Good luck! I just bought a Body by Jake Bun & Thigh Rocker from Craigslist. I was so excited about it when I got it, but haven't used it once! It also reeks of cigarette smoke so that is one major deterrent.

We have both..

For years, I got up at 5:30 and rode the bike for 30 minutes, Monday thru Friday. And yes, I hated it!! Not the bike part so much, but the getting up at that hour part. When I got home, I would walk outside, or when the weather was really bad, hit the treadmill. You would think I would never have had a weight issue. (Wrong) The past few years, I have just bundled up and walked outside, weather or no weather. Ok, except during blizzards or anything below 10 degrees and windchill that will pull your shorts off!

I bought the bike for my husband for Christmas one year. He just HAD to have it. I think he rode it twice. The bike is good for when you feel a bit lazy. At least you get to sit. Whatever you will use is the way to go.

Plus, I think it was Anne who mentioned the folding option of the treadmill. Those were too pricy for me when I got mine, but they are way cool. Would love to have one of those. But the old one works just fine.

Get whichever one fits under the bed, because eventually, that's where it will spend most of its time.I've got a Nordic Trak like that.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Get whichever one fits under the bed, because eventually, that's where it will spend most of its time.

I've got a Nordic Trak like that.
Unless you want to use it as a clothes hanger. They work great for that (especially the bike). We moved our out of our room and into the guest room for that reason. It stays ready to ride now - less excuses except that now it's not in sight all the time. I do have to say it has been great to have right now. I have a foot problem and can't walk for exercise so the bike gives me an option I wouldn't have for exercise. I am currently in a weight loss program so it is important right now...

BethCooks4U said:
Unless you want to use it as a clothes hanger. They work great for that (especially the bike). We moved our out of our room and into the guest room for that reason. It stays ready to ride now - less excuses except that now it's not in sight all the time. I do have to say it has been great to have right now. I have a foot problem and can't walk for exercise so the bike gives me an option I wouldn't have for exercise. I am currently in a weight loss program so it is important right now...

See see!! I told you Jennifer!! Hanging clothes!!

I voted treadmill, but both are boring....LOL

vwpamperedchef said:
See see!! I told you Jennifer!! Hanging clothes!!

I voted treadmill, but both are boring....LOL

I wondered how long it was take for "i told you so!" HA!:eek: :D

I bought a treadmill a few months ago. I put it in the living room in front of the TV since I am such a "couch potato". Since I started my PC business I have used it less and less. I find that I am too exhausted from my regular full-time job, part-time PC business and two teens to get on it some nights.

I just need you guys to hold me accountable and ask me "Did you get on your treadmill today?"

DessertDivaFL said:
I bought a treadmill a few months ago. I put it in the living room in front of the TV since I am such a "couch potato". Since I started my PC business I have used it less and less. I find that I am too exhausted from my regular full-time job, part-time PC business and two teens to get on it some nights.

I just need you guys to hold me accountable and ask me "Did you get on your treadmill today?"

If we buy one, I would love to keep each other accountable. Or we could start now and just keep accountable for walking or treadmill. I could start another thread for that and I bet we could get others to join in too.

I have both. The advantage of the bike is that it is low impact. Make sure the seat is the proper distance from the pedals, real important! The key to either one is good music!!!! I made myself a CD (ok I know, I got stuck in the techno world and don't have a mp-3 player, which would be better!) put all the music that had a fast beat and made me smile! Lots of disco music from the 70's. Also, I like to watch Home Shopping Network while listening to my favorite music, or some other type of thing that entertains the eyes. Because you will get BORED otherwise!!! I alternate, believe it or not they do not use the same muscles. But if I had to only choose one, it would be the bike, again, less impact on the body.

TreadmillWe have a treadmill and I have actually been on there three times a week, I just put on my headphones and pretend to be walking around the block, without the 100 degrees heat.
Until the kids come over and bug me. :rolleyes:

I heard a joke once:

Friend #1: How is your treadmill working out?

Friend #2: Great it really works. The jeans I keep on there seem to be getting smaller everyday!

Debbie :D

I'm a distance runner, but not for about 2 years now. I love to run, but the impact was getting to be too much for my left leg. We have a stationary bike and I love it!!!! I belong to Netflix and I limit myself to watching television by saying I can't watch unless I'm riding. It's been a great way to watch some of the shows that I'd been hearing about for so long. Over that past couple of years I've watched all seasons of "Lost", "24", "House", etc., you get the picture. All while riding!!! The action shows are the best 'cuz you forget you're going up a hill. I guess you could do the same think with a treadmill but for me the impact was getting to me. And the bike is great if you're nursing knee injuries or recuperating in any fashion.

Good luck on your choice, Jennifer!!

if you are not injury-prone, i would vote for the treadmill. i have heard that exercising where there's impact on the bones is better for bone health. Walking counts.

i have two living treadmills - dogs Franny and Megan - so I'm walking at least 10 mins 4 times a day, all weather

I vote for the bike...I went through the same thing you are about trying to decide which one to get and I decided to do the treadmill. Wrong move. We got a really good one, but I am realizing now I would have enjoyed a bike more. My MIL has one and everytime I go up to her house for a movie night or something I find myself on the bike the whole time we are watching the movie :) LOL. I have problems with my knee though and the bike puts less stress on my joints whereas walking on the treadmill makes my knees ache.

I love my treadmill - I put on my ipod and some awesome 80's music and sing away (of course no one is home when I do it!) I try to change it up with different levels as well - If you have a tv to put near it it makes it fun as well - watch your fav show while working out!

1. Which option is better for weight loss, a treadmill or stationary bike?

Both a treadmill and stationary bike can be effective for weight loss. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and fitness goals. A treadmill allows for weight-bearing exercises and can burn more calories, while a stationary bike is low-impact and can be easier on the joints.

2. Can I use a treadmill or stationary bike if I have knee or joint issues?

If you have knee or joint issues, a stationary bike may be a better option for you. It is low-impact and puts less stress on the joints compared to running on a treadmill. However, it is always best to consult with a doctor or physical therapist before starting any new exercise routine.

3. Is a treadmill or stationary bike better for building leg muscles?

Both a treadmill and stationary bike can help build leg muscles, but in different ways. A treadmill targets the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, while a stationary bike mainly focuses on the quadriceps. To build overall leg strength, it may be beneficial to incorporate both into your workout routine.

4. Can I watch TV or use my phone while using a treadmill or stationary bike?

Yes, you can watch TV or use your phone while using a treadmill or stationary bike, but it is important to stay focused on your form and not get too distracted. It may be helpful to use the TV or phone as a way to pass the time during longer workouts.

5. What features should I look for when choosing between a treadmill and stationary bike?

When choosing between a treadmill and stationary bike, some important features to consider include the size and weight of the machine, the maximum weight capacity, the incline and resistance options, and any additional features such as heart rate monitors or built-in workout programs. It is also important to test out the machine before purchasing to ensure it feels comfortable and fits your needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlennhoff
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Jess_K
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views