• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feeling Frustrated with Low Guest Numbers at Shows

In summary, the consultant said that she loves being a consultant, but at times she feels like some shows are just not worth it. She said that has had a small show once and had a girl tell her upfront in the beginning that she was sorry and didnt want to offend her but she couldnt buy anything and her response was, thats fine everyone goes through that, just book a show with me and ill be happy! She did and didnt thing anyone would show up to hers but she had a $500 show. The consultant said that if you have a sh**ty attitude about the attendance then so will the host and then she wont want to book again.
lisasfuncooking
Does anyone have a minimum guest # to keep a show? For an example, you wouldn't do a show if there were only 3-4 guests. I have a show tomorrow and there will be 4 guests, 3 of which are buying I am told. I am not going to cancel but I am really getting frustrated. I work hard at host coaching and am lucky that I do have good conversations with the hosts. Not phone tags, emails... I find hosts invite guests and tell them they can come have fun and don't have to buy. While I understand if you have 15 guests and know someone may not be able to afford something, you may tell them to come anyway. I do go over the host rewards and they obviously understand that depending on the sales of the show, that will help them earn free products.
I love being a consultant, but at times I feel like some shows are just not worth it. Has anyone dealt with this situation before? How can I avoid it in the future?

I don't cancel based on few guests coming to a show...I just coach the hostess for more outside orders! Plus, I have had some shows where there were only 3 guests, and things worked out just fine. A show with 3-4 guests is better than no show at all. Plus, it is nice because you can get to know everyone better, make a better connection with the people buying from you (meaning that they are more likely to trust your opinions and knowledge, and you are more able to get to know what their needs in the kitchen are), and the guests can be even more hands on! There are alot of pluses to having a small show, even though our ideal show has more guests coming!

I had a party this past Tuesday night. There were 4 guests (one was the Host's daughter who did not place an order). I ended up closing the show w/ $1001.00 in guest sales. ;)

Outside orders are key. If you have a website, be sure each guest gets directions on how to use it (it should be spelled out on the invitation). Encourage your Host to invite friends/family who live out-of-town -- they can order online through the website.

I had a small show once and had a girl tell me upfront in the beginning that she was sorry and didnt want to offend me but she couldnt buy anything and my response was, thats fine everyone goes through that, just book a show with me and ill be happy! she did and didnt thing anyone would show up to hers but she had a $500 showI always tell hosts who say that they dont know anyone that would show up that i will come for 1 guest if thats all they have. I dont limit myself. That one guest might sign up or buy the whole pots and pans set. I love this job and I have fun if its 3 ppl or 15 ppl and I try to make sure everyone there has fun too. I also make sure the host knows what she needs to do in order to get what she wantsIf you have a sh**ty attitude about the attendance then so will the host and then she wont want to book again

You just never know how the show will turn out, so I always go ahead and do it and I try to make it extra fun so the host doesn't feel bad. Who knows, one of those guest could be your next team member. Even if its small, it might be just what you need to push you to the next pay level. I see your best show is $2600, which is AWESOME, but they all can't be home runs like that. BTW, the 1st party I ever went to the host told me I didn't have to buy anything -- just come . . . and I signed up the next week! :D

Sandi

If you have a sh**ty attitude about the attendance then so will the host and then she wont want to book again
This is the 4th show I have done for her in 2 years. She is a friend. It is just she rarely ever has outside orders. Nobody wants to book a party because they know she is going to do another one. And her last show, she told me she had the party for host special. But that was it. She basically just wants to qualify as a show to get it- but wont do a catalog show.
I have been trying to recruit her. It is never the right time for here.
I understand if a guest is invited and can't buy something. But to tell everyone that, just basically makes me a personal chef for the day and not a consultant.

I have had shows with 15 guests that closed at $300.00 and shows with 4 guests that closed at $900.00. I would sooner have bookings no matter the size of attendance as that is what keeps the business going. One of my best customers has small shows but thrives on outside orders and I love her for that!:angel:

just basically makes me a personal chef for the day and not a consultant.
I think there's more here we don't understand, since you mentioned the 'personal chef' twice. Are you doing more than one recipe, since she's a friend? Does she live far away and that's what takes all day - travel time?

Just trying to find out a bit more. Because I would LOVE a repeat host who had 2 shows a year, even if they are just the minimum $150. I don't mind the smaller shows. Like doodlebug pointed out, you get to know everybody better and having a show is better than no show at all.

I just had a show on Saturday. 4 guests. One guest placed an order for $115 and the show is now at 170 (that shows how little the other three bought!). The weather was kind crappy and I wasn't feeling very good, but I still went when she called early to say I didn't have to. A show is a show. It might jus be $30 in commission, but its a show and its experience.

This was my most laid back show. No one wanted to hear my 'speech' again since they've all been at 2 other of my shows, so we just hung out and talked. We ate the Potato Chowder and watched the snow falling. Ya, its disspointing to go through all the prep work for a small commission check, but it counts towards incentives and hleps get points for trips too!

I have yet a to have a show go over $600, but I'm not giving up!

lisasfuncooking said:
This is the 4th show I have done for her in 2 years. She is a friend. It is just she rarely ever has outside orders. Nobody wants to book a party because they know she is going to do another one. And her last show, she told me she had the party for host special. But that was it. She basically just wants to qualify as a show to get it- but wont do a catalog show.
I have been trying to recruit her. It is never the right time for here.
I understand if a guest is invited and can't buy something. But to tell everyone that, just basically makes me a personal chef for the day and not a consultant.

You can change your approach with her. Let her know you need at least 5 ordering guests, otherwise you would be happy to make it a catalog show. There are other threads with ideas on incentives people offer their hosts for getting outside orders. Make sure you're only doing one recipe and that it's one that's a no-brainer for you.

I always try to bring a high-dollar product when I know there will be very few people at the show, or I will bring a piece of stoneware and talk about how my customer will want one, but they also need to pick another one up just in case a wedding shower or birthday comes along and they need a quick, but awesome, gift. If two people purchase a deep covered baker, then that's a show right there!

I did a show for a woman who had ONE buying guest. He spent $300. It was a fun show because it was small and I got to know the people very well. My demonstration was probably the best it ever was and I used to to practice a few new things. So small isn't always bad.

Since this person books several a year from you, tell her this time you want her to help with the demonstration. Maybe her fear of that is all that is holding her back. That's what I did with my last recruit. She signed up after she realized how easy it truly was.

Granted I've regained the Newbie status. My first show/open house had 2 people show for the show and 2 more show just before the close of the show. Nearly a 200 dollar show. Show 2 had the hostess and 4 people 300+ showShow 3 had hostess and 5 buying guests nearly 700 with outside orders. (the hostess really knew what she was doing....very focused).Small shows can count.

I try host coaching but she won't follow up with her guests for a rsvp. Her feeling get hurt if they dont rsvp right away and never asks for outside orders. Her friends always say they have a good time but never want to have parties of there own. Most of her friends are somewhat frugal and don't buy big ticket items. No matter what you say, some people just have the "Target" mentality. I usually try to do 1 demo to cook, but then she always wants more, or when I get there she asks me to do another recipe before the guests get there. At this point I am done venting. :) I am very lucky to have many repeat hosts. I have made some good friends along the way. And yes, there have been guests who say they won't buy, but at times are the biggest spenders that night.

even if a hostess has 1 guest I do my show for them.. I did that last year, hostess has 1 person show up, she has $75 in outside orders before I got there. That 1 host ordered $200 in product, and booked a party... You never know..

You never know how many guests are going to show up until you get there either. For my show last Friday, the host told me on Wednesday that only 3 or 4 people were going to be able to make it. When I got there she already had over $150 in outside orders. (I give my hosts an extra incentive for having outside orders collected BEFORE the show starts.) Plus, 20 people showed up, and I had $730 in guest sales! The host got a ton of free products because of the January special. I also got one booking and two potential recruits! Don't write it off until the show is closed!

Look at it from a different angle - you may only have a few guest but the attention you give them will go further. They may book shows tell other people, etc... If not then you had practice for your other shows. No show is too small, even if no one purchases, have fun.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like it was worth the energy for a small show, but that's a good opportunity to try something new or different. And you never do know what will come of it. I drove 2 hours for a show that had 3 guests, but ended up closing over $600 with outside orders. I would try to get away from the extra recipes though. Perhaps then you won't feel so put out by her shows. If she has frequently had low-turnout shows, ask her to get x number of people to come for a cooking show, or maybe have her do a catalog show get together and just drop off a recipe already done - save you on the time and frustration.

Interesting that this thread came up today...

I did a show for a HO lead back in November where there were supposed to be 8 guests, only ONE showed up...She booked, mostly I think out of guilt and obligation because she was the only one who showed up, and I honestly thought she may have cancelled after, but I did her show on Saturday...we closed tonight at $938! And that was a booking off of a show who had ONE guest! Plus she told me tonight that she wants to rebook in the summer so this could potentially be a lifelong host for me...DEFINITELY worth the effort to do a show for a host who is still willing to have it if she has a low attendance. You truly never know what will come out of it!

lisasfuncooking said:
.... I usually try to do 1 demo to cook, but then she always wants more, or when I get there she asks me to do another recipe before the guests get there. At this point I am done venting. :) I am very lucky to have many repeat hosts. I have made some good friends along the way. And yes, there have been guests who say they won't buy, but at times are the biggest spenders that night.

You can vent some more...I was just trying to put a positive spin on it, not stifle your venting! Which is why I asked...

Aaargh, I have a friend who does this to me, the multiple recipes! When I first started PC, I did 2 or even 3 recipes those first few shows, and she was at all of them, bless her heart.
I've mended my ways, but she has not :grumpy:
It does make you feel like you're a caterer. It's just too many recipes & too much rushing & work, taking all the tools to make that many things in a short time. For 3 people.:eek:

ShellBeach said:
It does make you feel like you're a caterer. It's just too many recipes & too much rushing & work, taking all the tools to make that many things in a short time. For 3 people.:eek:

I would tell your host in a nicest way as possible that you value your host's guests time and now only do one recipe per party unless there are 15 or more confirmed guests.

I had a show before I became a consultant - only my mother and one other friend showed up! I closed at $550+ because I worked to get those orders - so I'd never cancel a show due to low attendance.

Incidentally - the one other friend who showed up was my 2nd recruit! He's no longer active, but it just goes to show that you should ask everyone!

I am glad my recruiter did not cancel on me. I did not realize I had picked a bad date for my party and only my mom showed up. My party still was over $400 because a lot of the people I invited ordered despite not being able to come. If she had canceled I would not have worked for those orders and I would not be a consultant now.

My two best shows had the least amount of guests. One of my worst shows had a packed house.

1. How can I increase my guest numbers at shows?

One way to increase guest numbers at shows is to offer incentives for attendees to bring a friend, such as a free gift or a discount on their purchase. You can also reach out to past customers and offer them a special discount or invite them to bring a friend to the show.

2. What can I do if I have low guest numbers at my show?

If you have low guest numbers at your show, you can try promoting your event through social media, sending out invitations to potential guests, or partnering with other local businesses to cross-promote the event.

3. Should I focus on getting more guests or on the quality of the guests at the show?

Both are important factors in having a successful show. While it's great to have a larger number of guests, it's also important to have guests who are genuinely interested in your products and are likely to make a purchase.

4. How can I make my show more appealing to potential guests?

One way to make your show more appealing is to offer unique and interactive experiences, such as cooking demonstrations or hands-on activities. You can also offer special deals or promotions for guests who attend the show.

5. What can I do to keep guests engaged and interested throughout the show?

To keep guests engaged and interested, make sure to have a variety of products on display and offer demonstrations or samples. You can also incorporate fun games or activities to keep guests entertained and create a lively atmosphere.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tsm
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Brasgold
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • AJPratt