• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Expenses for a New PC Business: Tips and Tricks to Save Money

In summary, the new PC business is doing well and the receipts from purchases add up quickly. One suggestion is to get the basics first and then invest in a web site later.
pc_jessica
So I just sat down with my receipts from everything that I have purchased for my new PC business (started 7-8-09), and OMG I can't believe how fast it adds up. I thought I was just getting the normal things you know folders, labels, buisness cards and such, but wow I guess my two personal orders of the DCB and Tier Stand added that up lol (i know it wasn't just those two things) but so fair in the past 2.5 weeks I have spent close to $500!!!! I hope my PC shows are large so they cover that cost real quick!!

Does anyone have ideas on how to keep this business and the purchases you need to make cheaper? Or any ideas on what you don't need really? (maybe I can take some stuff back?)

You can easily lose control hehehe
Just get the basics for now and what is needed to have good customer service. You want to be professional but don't get crazy!!!!! hehehe
After 1½ years, I have still not invested in the web site as I don't need it yet. My average so far for this years is $911 per show so no need to spend much to get good results.
Good luck and remember you will earn PC Dollars to add more to your kit.

Last edited:
Pace yourself, and keep a running tally. Remember never put into your business what you don't get out of it. Most of us did the same thing that you did and then slowed way down once you get established.

IF you have someone in your cluster that you can use as a "bounce board" it really helps. I have a cluster mate that if I think I need to buy something I "bounce" it off of her first to see if I really need it! I get most of my supplies when the back to school sales start, that way it's not too bad.

Good Luck!! and Welcome! :)

I tell my new consultants not to spend any money until they are making money. My "welcome gift" to my new consultants is an office/business supply package. A package of 2 pocket folders (I stock up when they are cheap cheap), a box of red pens, 3 sheets of labels with their business info on them, a package of quik-cut knives, 2 packages of recipe cards, and a pencil box to keep their pens and recipe cards in for their shows.

Use recipe cards or Mini catalogs in place of business cards, until you have established your business. I was a consultant for 3 years before I had business cards!
Don't go all fancy with guest and host folders. Buy the 2 pocket folders during back to school sales when you can get them for a penny or .5 each. I buy all I need for the year for less than $10! For guests I use plain manila folders, but for a long time, I just tucked the order form, etc...right inside the catalog, and handed it to them with a pen.

ya i already got the website...i have family members who live all over who are having catalog shows for me, so i figured that would be one good investment...hopefully i thought right...
$911 so far is great average that is only $130/month so far! I am impressed...and yes it is sooo very easy to get carried away...i am just so excited and want everything to be great but i think i have gone a little overboard (don't tell my husband lol)

the sad thing is my folders i did get on the back to school sales...$0.10 each or so. So really i have no idea how i spent so much i think I'm a Pampered Chefoholic! oh, i did get my business cards FREE with vista print ya for one expense that was free!

One thing that's helped me a lot with expenses is not buying anything right away. I add it to the list and wait at least a week. If I still need it, and it's not obvious that my impulse to buy it was just that, an impulse, then I give myself permission to buy it. I'm also working on cleaning up my office area to see exactly what I have in there that I don't have to purchase. Keeping things simple helps, too - use the same size label for as much as possible, so you don't have 4 boxes of different labels around. And then you can buy the BIG box, which is usually less per sheet than the smaller packages. (It's a bigger initial investment, but you'll more than make up for it by not having to go back to the store as often. Which in turn will keep you from making additional impulse purchases.)

and dont we get a office max discount? where do we find the code for that ( I also get one for my day job and have been using that code) ... saves me a TON ordered a box of printer paper for 16.00 instead of 80!
they also have lables, pens and other every day needs for a killer discount

I spent too much up front also.. I got carried away 'setting up shop' that we don't focus on the business aspect like I should have. But since the first couple of months, I have spent very little. Partly because I have what I need now, and partly because I'm trying to be smarter about it.

It's funny, I didn't buy ANY office supplies when I started, because my whole intention was to do 6 shows (requirement at the time) get my SA for free (carrot being dangled at the time) and get back out.

Here I am 6.5 years later.:D

ChefBeckyD said:
My "welcome gift" to my new consultants is an office/business supply package. A package of 2 pocket folders (I stock up when they are cheap cheap), a box of red pens, 3 sheets of labels with their business info on them, a package of quik-cut knives, 2 packages of recipe cards, and a pencil box to keep their pens and recipe cards in for their shows.

I love that idea! I think I will have to "borrow" it... :D

i wish i lived close to an office max or closest one is about 45 mins away...so i have been going to walmart for office supplies and staples for copies (if they are to be in color so i don't waste my ink) but i do have a staples rewards card.
i have made a pact with myself not to spend anymore money on anything unless i need it. i think i like the idea of keeping a list and waiting a week to see if i still need it. i shall use this idea. however when fall products come out in 2 weeks you can bet i won't be a waiting a week then!!

You can use the discount online for Office Max. You can download a card from CC that gives you a barcode to use. It does help to save on certain things but a little goes a long way.

pc_jessica said:
.so i have been going to walmart for office supplies and staples for copies (if they are to be in color so i don't waste my ink) but i do have a staples rewards card.

What are you copying in color? I don't make color copies for anyone for anything.

Your printer probably has a "draft" setting--I use that and save TONS of ink.

Yeah - the only color printouts I do are for things that will be displayed, like fliers when I'm working a booth. Everything else gets printed on my monochrome laser printer (one of the best investments in my biz I've made!) on colored paper. If you do a lot of printing, I do recommend investing in a laser printer. I buy 1 $70 toner cartridge a year (sometimes I can go longer than a year depending on usage) - that's a lot less expensive than ink refills.

YES!! Draft setting has tripled my ink savings!!!! and when doing a show I only have one flyer in color, Mine. and all of the guest packages I have in greyscale draft mode.

JDooley said:
YES!! Draft setting has tripled my ink savings!!!! and when doing a show I only have one flyer in color, Mine. and all of the guest packages I have in greyscale draft mode.

I don't even print the specials for guests. I print one in color, put it in a page protector, and pass it around.

I use the flip top chart to display the host and guest specials.

I actually have a color laser printer that will do duplex (2-sided) printing. If you want to print specials in color, it ends up to be cheaper to get a color laser than to pay for the pages to be printed at OfficeMax or Staples. I haven't had to replace my cartridges too often either. You just don't want to go overboard on your number of copies you print.

Great ideas, I dont know why I thought everyone needed a copy! what a waste!

I use the 3-month Host/Guest Special flyers that I get from on here - they look great and I don't have to print them each month. I tuck one in each catalog- but because it covers 3 months, I can use it for as long as I'm booking shows in those months! I just reuse them from show to show because most people aren't taking those home. They leave them at the checkout area.

I'm new to Pampered Chef, but have always loved office supplies...haha! One thing that can save you a lot of money is a Staples Rewards card. At the end of each quarter, they send you a Staples gift check worth a certain percentage of your purchases. I've been a member so long I now have platinum status and get checks for well over $100. Plus I get additional rebates on things I buy often, such as printer paper and ink cartridges. It's free too!

How much do you spend though? I am just asking because we bought a new computer and printer and a bunch of other things there for well over 1500 dollars and I think my reward check was a wooping 15 bucks so I don't think that is anything great.

DebbieJ said:
What are you copying in color? I don't make color copies for anyone for anything.

Your printer probably has a "draft" setting--I use that and save TONS of ink.

I printed off the flyer with the 3 month host and guest specials in ink, i just think they are more attention grabbing that way and at $0.40 i didn't think it was too bad??

ya i do have a rewards card. i do have a color printer but i guess i thought it would be cheaper to make my copies at staples then it would be buy a new toner for it...maybe i was wrong. i'll have to experiment with it and see how fast it runs out. and i don't send my flyers home they are in my guest packets that i will reuse at each show.

I don't have a laser printer and I estimated the cost of printing at home vs. cost of copying at an office supply store and I think it's still cheaper to print! I'm like you Jessica, I've spent a ton of money starting my business, 4 months in and probably $1,000. But I did buy a new desk and file cabinet ($300) which I wanted anyways and this was the final reason to go ahead and get it. And in my 2nd month alone I made $750 so I've definitely made it back. I just work better and more efficiently if I have everything I need. I'm set on thank you postcards and business card magnets from Vista Print, I've really taken advantage of their free offers! I just ordered a bunch of stuff and it cost me only $10! I am excited to stock up on generic stuff with all the back-to-school specials though. But definitely, it slows down once you've established what you really need and what you don't need. I think out of the $1,000, $700 was in the first 2 months. The last 2 months I spent alot less. And remember, SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS FOR TAX WRITE-OFFS!

i am so glad to hear that i am not the only one that has spend alot of money right off the bat! i didn't purchase a new desk but i did purchase a new printer, or old one was not that reliable so right there was $100. I just hope that it does taper down and after reading these replies i am sure it will!

pc_jessica said:
i am so glad to hear that i am not the only one that has spend alot of money right off the bat! i didn't purchase a new desk but i did purchase a new printer, or old one was not that reliable so right there was $100. I just hope that it does taper down and after reading these replies i am sure it will!

I purchased a new printer as well! haha But I got a $150 (before anything) printer/scanner/copier plus a 2 year extended warranty, a free ream of paper, and another box of ink cartridges, all for $150 because of a 4th of July sale and rebates I found.

What is "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!"?

"Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" is a popular kitchen tool from Pampered Chef that helps you quickly and accurately measure ingredients while cooking or baking. It is perfect for busy home cooks who want to save time and minimize mess in the kitchen.

How does "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" work?

"Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" features a rotating chamber with multiple measuring cups that can be easily adjusted to measure different amounts. Simply twist the top to select the desired measurement and fill the cup with the ingredient. The cups can also be removed for easy cleaning.

Can "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" be used for both dry and liquid ingredients?

Yes, "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" is designed to measure both dry and liquid ingredients. The cups have clear markings for both types of measurements, making it versatile for all your cooking and baking needs.

Is "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" dishwasher safe?

Yes, "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing the measuring cups to prolong their lifespan.

Does "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" come with a warranty?

Yes, "Omg It Keeps Adding Up!!" comes with a one-year warranty from Pampered Chef. If you experience any issues with your product, please contact our customer service for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1995tucker
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • gailz2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • heat123