• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Omg, How Sad! :( Prayers to This Family!

In summary, a child's body found in a Georgia landfill has been identified as missing 7-year-old Somer Thompson. The body was partially covered and was found after investigators followed garbage trucks leaving from the neighborhood where Thompson disappeared. The child's identity was confirmed using a birthmark and clothing. The family was notified and the girl's mother was devastated. Authorities are now in a full-blown criminal investigation and are searching for the killer. The girl's disappearance and murder has left the community shocked and devastated.
heat123
Silver Member
Cops: Body in Ga. landfill is missing girl, 7

NBC News and news services
updated 2 hours, 30 minutes ago
ORANGE PARK, Fla. - A child's body found in a Georgia landfill has been identified as missing 7-year-old Somer Thompson, police said Thursday.

The partially covered body of the child was found at a site near the Florida state line, after investigators followed garbage trucks leaving from the neighborhood where Thompson disappeared Monday.

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler told NBC's "TODAY" show that a birthmark and clothing had helped detectives confirm the child's identity.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Last night about 9 p.m., detectives were able to uncover the body enough to see the leg of the child," Beseler said. "The birthmark did positively match the one that had been provided to us in a photograph by the family. Based on that tentative identification, we went ahead and contacted Somer’s mom and made the notification last night."

The sheriff said he told the girl's mother to prepare for the worst, and called her after receiving the news Wednesday night.

"Needless to say, she was absolutely devastated," he said. "It was the hardest phone call I've ever had to make in my life, and I hope I never have to make another one like that."

The girl's family was "torn up" after hearing the news, aunt Laura Holt said.

She hopes authorities will find her niece's killer or killers. "I don't think they deserve to live," Holt said. "I don't think there's anything worse that a person can do — to kill a child and dump her ... like a piece of trash?"

Beseler said he was unable to comment on the condition of the body or about whether there were signs of sexual assault.

'Child killer on the loose'
"Until yesterday afternoon, we were in a search and recovery mode and now we’re in a full-blown criminal investigation," Beseler said. "There are lots of leads we're following.

"There is a child killer on the loose and that's why we are going to catch this person," he added. "We are going to work as hard as we can. We will not stop."

Thompson vanished on her mile-long walk home from school Monday in Orange Park. She was squabbling with another child, and her sister told her to stop. The girl got upset, walked ahead of the group and wasn't seen again.

Click for related content
Newsweek: What about these missing women?

Police searched through 100 tons of garbage before finding the body on Wednesday.

Beseler credited one of his detectives with suggesting on Tuesday that the landfill should be checked. Trucks were scheduled to pick up garbage in Orange Park on Tuesday morning. He said detectives were told to go through the debris looking for evidence as the trucks brought it in.

"Had we not done that, tons of garbage would have been distributed over the top of the body, and it likely would have never been found," he told ABC's "Good Morning America."

"Now that we know the body has been discovered there may be something that triggers someone's mind," Beseler said.

An FBI forensic unit is helping process evidence from the landfill. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation planned an autopsy Thursday.

It makes you sick to think there are psychos out there willing to murder anyone especially a young child. I heard she was missing and heard that they found the body - how will that family go on?

I know, its so dreadful. Especially when they say when people go missing the first place they go is the garbage. What human being can consider another human garbage? Especially a precious sin-free child. She is cradled now and free from all of this world's horrors!

I think a short rope from a tall tree is needed for who ever did this.

Wouldn't that just save some stataes a bundle on death row? CNN mentioned how many millions of dollars it costs to get someone through all the way to their execution day and then the costs associate with that. So crazy.

The ONLY good thing is that they found her early so they have more to work with for clues to find this b*$#(^d and that the family does not have to wonder what happened to her and where is she. I think that brings a whole deeper layer of what is already a hell for the parents of these poor babies.

I just can't even begin to understand why. May Somer be in God's loving arms safe from harm.

I just cannot even fathom something like this happening to my 7 year old daugther. IT breaks my heart for them. What has this world come to!? :(

Just to lose a child in an accident or to disease is hard for me to imagine...this is just beyond comprehension as it would be for families who have never had their child found.

baychef said:
Just to lose a child in an accident or to disease is hard for me to imagine...this is just beyond comprehension as it would be for families who have never had their child found.

Yes, loosing a child in any circumstance is a devastating thought. Prayers to all families with such a loss.:(

1. What happened to the family that prompts these prayers?

Unfortunately, we do not have any information on the specific family that is being referenced in this statement. However, our thoughts and prayers go out to any family going through a difficult time.

2. How can I help this family?

If you would like to help this family, we recommend reaching out to local organizations or charities that specialize in assisting families in need. You can also offer your support through kind words and positive thoughts.

3. Can I donate to this family directly?

Since we do not have information on the specific family, we do not have a way to facilitate direct donations. We suggest contacting local organizations or charities that may be able to connect you with a family in need.

4. Is there a specific prayer or message that would be most helpful for this family?

While we do not know the exact situation of the family, we believe that any kind words or prayers would be appreciated. You can also offer to help in any way possible, whether it be through providing meals, running errands, or simply listening.

5. How can I spread the word and get more people to pray for this family?

If you would like to spread awareness and encourage others to pray for this family, we suggest sharing this statement on social media or with friends and family. You can also reach out to others in your community or church and ask them to keep this family in their thoughts and prayers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • The_Kitchen_Guy