1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Olive Oil

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

What's the best olive oil to use for the dippings? Regular, Extra-Virgin? I think the last time I did this at home we used the EV and it tasted really bitter.

Oct 29, 2009
  2. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

Extra-Virgin is the more expensive and supposed to have a better taste for eating straight up like for dippings, etc. If it tasted bitter you could try an extra-light EVOO. I don't really notice a difference, but I haven't paid much attention to it either. I just tend to use whatever I have.

I just remember hearing the food network folk tell me: regular for cooking, extra-virgin for dressings, etc.

Oct 29, 2009
  3. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

Hey stranger! Thanks! When I went to the store they actually had a brand that was labeled what it was used for. I grabbed a different kind of EVOO we'll see how it tastes.

Oct 29, 2009
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Keith's right about what the experts say. Extra virgin olive oil has a very distinctive taste, which varies depending on the olives and processes used. Some people (like me) love it. Others don't care for it at all.

Oct 29, 2009
  5. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I like to use a light olive oil. I love EVOO for everything, but not for these bread dippings. Maybe it's just the brands we've tried, but at my mom's house and mine when it was used w/ EVOO, it was really bitter and yucky. You couldn't enjoy the seasoning flavors because the oil's flavor was too strong and dominant.

Oct 29, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted