• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Olive Oil Dipping: Regular vs. Extra-Virgin?

Extra virgin olive oil has a very distinctive taste, which varies depending on the olives and processes used. Some people (like me) love it. Others don't care for it at all. I like to use a light olive oil. I love EVOO for everything, but not for these bread dippings. Maybe it's just the brands we've tried, but at my mom's house and mine when it was used w/ EVOO, it was really bitter and yucky. You couldn't enjoy the seasoning flavors because the oil's flavor was too strong and dominant.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
What's the best olive oil to use for the dippings? Regular, Extra-Virgin? I think the last time I did this at home we used the EV and it tasted really bitter.

Extra-Virgin is the more expensive and supposed to have a better taste for eating straight up like for dippings, etc. If it tasted bitter you could try an extra-light EVOO. I don't really notice a difference, but I haven't paid much attention to it either. I just tend to use whatever I have.I just remember hearing the food network folk tell me: regular for cooking, extra-virgin for dressings, etc.

leftymac said:
Extra-Virgin is the more expensive and supposed to have a better taste for eating straight up like for dippings, etc. If it tasted bitter you could try an extra-light EVOO. I don't really notice a difference, but I haven't paid much attention to it either. I just tend to use whatever I have.

I just remember hearing the food network folk tell me: regular for cooking, extra-virgin for dressings, etc.

Hey stranger! Thanks! When I went to the store they actually had a brand that was labeled what it was used for. I grabbed a different kind of EVOO we'll see how it tastes.

Keith's right about what the experts say. Extra virgin olive oil has a very distinctive taste, which varies depending on the olives and processes used. Some people (like me) love it. Others don't care for it at all.

I like to use a light olive oil. I love EVOO for everything, but not for these bread dippings. Maybe it's just the brands we've tried, but at my mom's house and mine when it was used w/ EVOO, it was really bitter and yucky. You couldn't enjoy the seasoning flavors because the oil's flavor was too strong and dominant.

1. What is the difference between regular and extra-virgin olive oil for dipping?

The main difference between regular and extra-virgin olive oil is the level of acidity. Extra-virgin olive oil is made from pure, cold-pressed olives with no chemical or heat treatment, resulting in a lower level of acidity and a more intense flavor. Regular olive oil, on the other hand, is a blend of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil, which has a higher level of acidity and a milder flavor.

2. Can I use regular olive oil for dipping?

Yes, you can use regular olive oil for dipping. However, the flavor may not be as intense as using extra-virgin olive oil. It is still a viable option if you do not have extra-virgin olive oil on hand.

3. Does the quality of the olive oil affect the taste when used for dipping?

Absolutely! Using high-quality, extra-virgin olive oil will result in a more flavorful and enjoyable dipping experience. Lower quality olive oils may have a more bland or bitter taste.

4. How should I store my olive oil for dipping?

To keep your olive oil fresh and flavorful, it is best to store it in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. Make sure the container is tightly sealed to prevent any exposure to air, which can cause the oil to oxidize and turn rancid. It is also recommended to use the oil within 6 months of opening.

5. Can I mix regular and extra-virgin olive oil for dipping?

Yes, you can mix regular and extra-virgin olive oil for dipping. This can be a good option if you want to balance out the flavors or if you have a limited amount of extra-virgin olive oil. However, the resulting taste may not be as strong as using only extra-virgin olive oil.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cheftonia
  • Tracy99
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • quiverfull7