• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Okay, My Techie Friends, I Need Your Help.i Live in the

In summary, Rae lives in the middle of nowhere, but her phone has a way to turn into a WiFi hotspot. She is happy with her service and doesn't think that it's expensive.
raebates
Staff member
Okay, my techie friends, I need your help.

I live in the geographical center of nowhere and have dial-up because anything else here was just too expensive. A few months ago I got a new Windows phone. I love it, and was told that I could make it a WiFi hotspot whenever I wanted by just upgrading my service.

Today I bought a laptop for a new ministry I'm now working for. (It's their laptop, but I'll be using it.) I stopped in to upgrade my service, and guess what I discovered. I can't turn my Windows phone into a hot spot. But, I was told I could tether it to get internet access.

The young men at at the phone store downloaded the needed software onto a thumb drive for me. I got everything home but couldn't connect. Called customer service. My provider doesn't support this, but they connected me with the phone people. The phone people told me that I can't do that with a Windows phone because the Windows people won't allow it.

So, is there a device out there that I can use for wireless? Can I buy a card (I think I remember hearing that term) to use? Anything I can do outside of spending bajillions of dollars a year to connect?

Thanks!

Re: WiFiI know that some cell carriers (Like Verizon) have a Wireless card like what you are talking about so you can have internet anywhere you are- just like cellphone service. Last time I looked, it was $59 a month before all of the taxes, etc.Maybe now with the Pampered Perks, that would be included??

Re: WiFiYes, there are wireless modems you can get (with a monthly service charge), and some providers (like Sprint) offer wireless hotspots that you can use with up to 5 WiFi capable devices.

Re: WiFiShe's not kidding, either. Not exactly the middle, but pretty close to it.

Nowhere-1.jpg

Re: WiFi
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
She's not kidding, either. Not exactly the middle, but pretty close to it.

Nowhere-1.jpg

I haven't been drinking THAT much, I promise. But this was so hilarious, completely made my night.

Re: WiFiI think I've driven thru there!

Re: WiFiI just read somewhere that only windows 7.5 phones have the thethering capabilities... I know you can with a droid and an iPhone.... I think the best bet would be to get the card... but make sure that it will work in your house... because if you can only get dial up at your house then the chances of a tower being close enough to carry a strong enough signal for wifi could be slim.... but don't quote me on that... just something I would be worried about.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
She's not kidding, either. Not exactly the middle, but pretty close to it.

Nowhere-1.jpg

I think Rae's my neighbor! I live in "The Boonies"!!! :D

ChefBevShu said:
I think Rae's my neighbor! I live in "The Boonies"!!! :D

and Podunk, NY, is actually about 5 miles from my house.

Re: WiFiRae: I too live in the middle of nowhere (don't remember ever seeing you there though!) I had dial-up until my computer was stolen last month (long story) and among the things they took was my dial-up modem (which apple has quit making!) I went to Verizon and got what's called a wireless "hotspot" It is not necessarily a card, but a device, kinda like a small cell phone (doesn't open or anything). With a rebate it ended up being free. Service will cost about $50 a month. Thus far I am extremely happy with it. If your cell phone works in your house, this will too. It was like adding another phone line to my account (has a phone number and everything, though don't know how you'd "call" it.) 3G and I have 5MB of data per month. I'm sure your wireless provided has the same thing. Hope this helps!

Re: WiFiWhat is really cool about these devices that it looks like a cell phone, as is portable like a cell phone and they are NOT dependent on "towers" but rather are satellite driven. This means that you can go from your home to the middle of nowhere and Mr. Wienie's place and almost always have a signal. That problem exists in Walworth County where tons of friends and even some of my family have what they call a satellite modem. They also seem to work well and yes, the cost is about $50 a month. Again, it is a write off and with a Pampered Perk, you may have a discount on that fee with the right company. Double check though as the Windows or rather Microsoft thing may be an issue. As that is NOT related to the phone itself or the company providing the service, it may have limitations no matter what service you go with.

Re: WiFiOk...I use a computer ALOT! But I am confused about the 5mb of data per month. I am assuming that 5mb is a lot of use. I do know that I have 5 cell phones that share 5mb and we never go over our usage...and my kids and I fb a lot. Also, are these devices fast...like a dsl system would be?

I have dsl at home but would like to eliminate the local family owned phone company all together because they won't allow us to get the deals the surrounding phone company gives their customers...such as unlimited calling to the 918 area code. I pay 80.00 per month for my land line and internet service...plus the expense of 5 cell phones (2 are for my husbands business, 1 for my business and 2 childrens phones).

I would love to get some feedback on this.

Re: WiFiShawna : Okay, I mis-spoke, it's 5 GB not MB. I am on the net a lot and was worried about the usage, but so far I've been okay. What eats up the "data" is things that you download, rather than just counting "minutes that your are connected". I do lots of e-mail and tons of facebook and pinterest, and have been fine. It is 3G, and is MUCH faster than the dial up I was used to!!

straitfan said:
Shawna : Okay, I mis-spoke, it's 5 GB not MB. I am on the net a lot and was worried about the usage, but so far I've been okay. What eats up the "data" is things that you download, rather than just counting "minutes that your are connected". I do lots of e-mail and tons of facebook and pinterest, and have been fine. It is 3G, and is MUCH faster than the dial up I was used to!!

In other words, if you're doing general surfing, you should be fine. If you're doing a lot of downloading of music and such, it might not be enough.

Re: WiFiK...thanks for the info.

Re: WiFiWHAT EVER YOU DO - DO NOT GET US CELLULAR if it is available for your for your wireless modem. I had them - went a year and a half w/o an issue. I paid a payment on my account early every month and always over the amount due and then all of a sudden the cut off my service and said that I had exceeded my 5GB two months in a row and owed them over $400 - WHAT???? WAS MY QUESTION TO THEM. Then I asked to have them send me proof that I had went over and guess what - they can't - they say all they can tell me is it is valid - I asked how can you say it is valid if you can't tell me what sites were accessed and by what computer. They told me they don't have to provide me with anything, they say the charges are valid so I have to pay them. I told them to send the bill to satan cause it will be a cold day in hell before I pay it and they might get more outta him!

Re: WiFiThat stinks...but, US Cellular is the best service for my area. We have service when ATT/Verizon doesn't. I don't know anyone who has had a problem like that with any of their services.

1. How can I improve my WiFi signal in my home?

There are a few different ways to improve your WiFi signal. One option is to move your router to a central location in your home, away from any walls or obstructions. You can also try using a WiFi extender or booster to increase the range of your signal. If all else fails, you may need to upgrade to a newer, more powerful router.

2. I keep getting pop-up ads on my computer, how can I get rid of them?

This is likely due to adware or malware on your computer. You can try running a virus scan to remove any malicious software. You can also check your browser settings and extensions for any suspicious or unwanted additions. If the problem persists, you may need to seek professional help.

3. How can I back up my important files and documents?

There are a few different options for backing up your files. You can use an external hard drive or USB flash drive to physically store your files. You can also use a cloud storage service, such as Google Drive or Dropbox, to store your files online. Make sure to regularly back up your files to avoid losing important information.

4. My computer is running slow, what can I do to speed it up?

There are a few potential reasons for a slow computer. You can try clearing out temporary files and running a disk cleanup to free up space. You can also check your Task Manager to see if any programs or processes are taking up a lot of memory or processing power. If these solutions don't work, you may need to upgrade your computer's hardware.

5. How can I protect my personal information when using public WiFi?

Public WiFi networks are not always secure, so it's important to take precautions when using them. One option is to use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet connection and protect your data. You can also avoid accessing sensitive information, such as online banking or shopping, while using public WiFi. Make sure to also keep your device's software and antivirus up to date.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• reba515
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
Replies