So, I have been updating my email subscriber list on iContact, adding in addresses added since my last email went out. I do this by generating a contact list from P3, limited to the last however many days. I goofed, big time See, I backed up after the most recent show (done regularly, since I move between two computers). Then I edited out those who had gotten email invites for the last show, but didn't buy anything or want to be sent email. I forgot to backup again after making the changes in P3. Then swapped to the other computer, and backed up there, restored to the main machine, and overwrote the changes I had made. Then, a couple of days later, I added addresses to iContact. :cry: I've just spent an hour and a half tracking down all the addresses added by mistake, getting them out of P3, moving them to "do not contact" on iContact, and them generating an apology letter to send out to everyone affected, cc'ing the host affected most. The email I sent out: First off, I am sorry that this problem has occurred. I am copying this reply to all of the accidentally subscribed addresses, so everyone knows exactly what happened, and that they have been removed from any further contact, unless they contact me first. They are being sent as a BCC, so their addresses are not shared with anyone else. In addition, I am offering to anyone who was accidentally subscribed a $25 credit towards Pampered Chef items, if they choose to use it. This comes out of my pocket, not from Pampered Chef. It was my mistake, so I will pay for it. They can call me or email me to redeem it. I did some investigating after getting your email and leaving a message on your machine. Here's what happened: After closing your show, I backed up my database to copy to my other computer. I then went and edited the information to take out those who didn't specifically tell me they wanted email. I did not remember to back up the data at this point, and it got overwritten by a previous backup. The old backup is where I pulled the addresses to add to the mailing list. I have gone through everything in my database at this point, and have removed everyone who did not specifically say they wanted to get my newsletter. On iContact (the service I use to send out my newsletter), I have marked all of the accidental additions as "Do Not Contact". This not only unsubscribes them from my newsletter, but assures I CAN NOT send any email thru iContact to these addresses. I CAN NOT re-subscribe them to _any_ list I use on iContact. If there is anyone who has been unsubscribed who wants to get the newsletter, they will have to subscribe themselves. There is a subscription form on my website that can be used for this. Again, I am sorry for the error on my part. So, lesson learned, check that you make backups appropriately AND that you are using your current data :sigh:.