• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Why did my son's 2nd birthday turn into such a chaotic day?

In summary, children's birthdays can often be chaotic due to the high levels of excitement and unexpected events. Families may also have to adjust their sleep schedules for work, fast food restaurants may run out of specific toys or items, and accidents can happen with young children. In the case of the Black Forest Torte, sometimes we have to improvise and make the best of unexpected situations.
pcsharon1
Gold Member
So today was my son's 2nd birthday. The day started off pretty normally. We are late sleepers because we stay up late .....see me posting at nearly 1:00am? Well, Tristan is watching cartoons now too.....because of my husbands work schedule. If we went to bed and got up at normal 2 year old hours neither one of us would ever see my husband so we adjusted to him.

Anyway.......we got up and got dressed and Tristan had his Early Intervention person come and do his hour of therapy (mostly for speech). We went out after that and we went through the drive thru at McD. Now this isn't normal but it was his birthday and I was going to get him a happy meal. So I order a happy meal with an under three boys toy. Go through the line and get a regular toy. I go back and they say "we don't have those...to bad" Yep, actually said "too bad"

So we go to the store get home and I have to bake a dessert for my MOMs club Christmas party. My husband is coming home early....and he actually makes it home and I put the torte pans in the oven - I was trying the Black Forest Torte for the first time after reading a recent post about it:chef:. My husband is on the phone with his mom who had called because of Tristan's birthday when I hear a crash and my husband throws the phone and runs to our son - who had tripped over the dogs bed and fell onto the tin (like one of those big popcorn tins) that holds the dog food. He bit through his lower lip with his two front teeth and lacerated the bottom of his lip on the tin:eek:. And he is bleeding all over the place. So I turn off the oven and we run to the ER with him. Which was fine once we got past Nurse Ratchet at the front door who was horrible and scared him to death. They ended up gluing it and we went straight from there to the party - without a dessert because mine was sitting all sad and lonely half baked in the oven.

Funny end to the day - with everything going on I didn't get to bake the cupcakes I was planning to make for his birthday so I finished the torte (yes it actually cooked, it was a little sad but not bad) and we stuck candles in it. ;) Here is a picture of him, his fat lip and his Black Forest Torte - bet no other kid has this kind of picture in his scrapbook. Oh, and he loved it. He licked the spatula before we even got the candles lit. And as for the lip....at least we had Christmas pictures taken last weekend. And that isn't whipped topping under his lower lip - it's the glue.

Attachments

• P1190135.jpg
    P1190135.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 345
  • P1190165.jpg
    P1190165.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 417
  • P1190143.jpg
    P1190143.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 342
Bless his little heart! Glad it wasn't too bad. My grandson fell in August the day that his Mom, Dad, and him were going to go get a friend take "maternity pictures". He had the "fat lip" but only those of us who knew it really noticed. His wasn't as bad as your son's! At least you can tell people he like the Torte! LOL!

Wow! Congratulations on surviving the day.

Boy I remember those days. Just know one day you will miss all the activity and accidents. The bumps of life make us smarter.

Kids are so resilient! I always tell people that I special ordered my kids to be made of rubber, because when they fall down they usually bounce right back up and keep on going (of course, that's when blood is not involved...your situation would have set me back a few paces!). I'm glad your son is OK and no worse for the wear. :)
Also glad to know that I'm not the only one in the world who adjusts her schedule (and the kids' schedule) to complement DH's work schedule. My kids usually stay up til 10 or 11, and then sleep in til 9. That's when DH is on night shift like he is now. :)
Thanks for sharing the photos! Your torte looks so yummy!!!

Oh the poor thing...That is a definite ouchy!!!

sklay723 said:
Kids are so resilient! I always tell people that I special ordered my kids to be made of rubber, because when they fall down they usually bounce right back up and keep on going (of course, that's when blood is not involved...your situation would have set me back a few paces!).

Honestly he probably wouldn't have cried as much as he did if my DH didn't overreact to everything. I mean seriously - the kid was laying close to the edge of the bed last night - the BED - and you'd have thought my DH was rushing to rescue him from the edge of the Grand Canyon. Had I been alone I would have totally freaked out but the bleeding stopped pretty quick and he stopped crying before we were even out of the driveway. I probably wouldn't have gone to the ER - but my hubby is army and he says "our health benefits are such a huge part of our pay that we are going to use them when we want to, it's the least they can give us when I work 13 hour days six days a week"

As for bouncing back up - he does and he did. Was sucking his thumb by the time we got to the hospital. One of my friends said as long as the thumb wasn't sticking through the lip we should have know we were okay.:)

What a sweety. Poor guy on his birthday nonetheless. Your torte looks great!

I slipped off a chair at that age and bit entirely through right under my lip...back before glue and they didn't stitch it. It ended up fine! Today is my son's 5th Birthday and I'm having a day almost as crazy as your yesterday! This is the first time I sat down all day, so I'm taking a few minutes of ME time. :)Hopefully no trips to the ER unless I'm on a call!Happy Birthday to your son!

One day when my son was about that age, I was in the living room and he was in the bathroom playing with the water (in the sink, of course! was one of his favorite past times at that age). He had put The Lion King in the VCR first, and after about a 1/2 hour, I realized he wasn't even watching it, so I turned it off. Here comes Sam, running into the living room and crying because I turned off his movie (who would have guessed he was listening to it over the sound of the running water!). He's crying about the movie, but he's COVERED in blood!! I rush him to the bathroom, and there's blood everywhere. Ok, not horror-movie everywhere, but you know what I mean. Well, I start cleaning him up, and realize all that blood came from a very small cut on his lip. He had found DH's razor, and decided to play Daddy and 'shave.' It figures - Sam wasn't even fazed by the blood - but turn off The Lion King, and he riots, haha.

Glad your son had a happy birthday despite the injury. It's great you took pictures - because, most likely, he'll forget the whole incident after awhile!

What an adorable kid!! And the scraper pic is just too cute! You should send it off to HO!

Unfortunately for you, now no ordinary birthday cake next year will do! It looks pretty darn good if you ask me!!

HOly cow, what a day! Well, he looks pretty darn happy, especially licking that spreader.:D:D

1. Why did my son's 2nd birthday turn into such a chaotic day?

It's common for young children's birthdays to be chaotic, as they are often filled with excitement and energy. Additionally, unexpected events such as accidents or changes in plans can contribute to the chaos.

2. Why did we have to adjust our sleep schedule for my husband's work?

Many families have to adjust their sleep schedules to accommodate work schedules, especially when one parent works late shifts or odd hours.

3. Why did McDonald's not have the toy I requested for my son's happy meal?

Unfortunately, sometimes fast food restaurants run out of specific toys or promotional items, especially during busy times like holidays or weekends.

4. Why did my son have to go to the ER?

Accidents happen, especially with young children who are still developing their coordination and balance. It's always best to err on the side of caution and seek medical attention if there is any concern for your child's safety or well-being.

5. Why did my son get a Black Forest Torte for his birthday instead of cupcakes?

Sometimes, things don't go as planned and we have to improvise. In this case, the unexpected events of the day prevented you from making cupcakes, but you were still able to make a special dessert for your son's birthday celebration. It's a great lesson in flexibility and making the best of a chaotic situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • smspamperedchef
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
AmyO
Replies
Views
3RingChef