• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oh No! My Cell Phone Went Through the Wash!

In summary, if you dropped your phone in water and didn't turn it off, you should take it apart and let it dry out for at least 24 hours.
babywings76
Gold Member
Now what do I do?!! It won't work now. Will it work when it dries out? I'm so mad at myself. I usually check pockets and everything, I can't believe I didn't check them. I was just trying to hurry and get things done, I have 6 loads I'm doing today. Ugg! :(

I heard you should take the battery out and put it in a bowl of rice (uncooked and covered ) for 24 hours and hope for the best......

Just take it apart and let it dry out. I've never used rice, but my phone has taken a bath in the toilet, a cup of water, the washing machine, the kitchen sink, and just on the counter spread apart works just fine.

Did you already try to turn it on? If not, DON'T DO IT!!!Take it apart and let it dry out for AT LEAST 24 hours. Good luck!

Here are several suggestions from...WikiAnswersLifehackerhttp://www.switched.com/2007/08/15/how-to-save-a-wet-cell-phone/eHowThey all seem to say about the same thing but the usual conclusion is...maybe this will work.

DebbieJ said:
Did you already try to turn it on? If not, DON'T DO IT!!!Take it apart and let it dry out for AT LEAST 24 hours. Good luck!
True, in fact, one of the sites I listed says to take the phone apart while it's still under water to dissipate any capacitance in the battery and to prevent shorts. And if you hadn't left the cell phone in your shorts this wouldn't have happened.

My phone was fully charged and "on" when it went through the wash. When I got it out of the wash, I opened it and pushed buttons, but I don't remember if I tried to turn it on or not, I was frantic and calling out to my DH to come and help me. Oh man, I hope it's okay. We opened it up and took the battery out and kept the cover off to let it dry out, but we can't seem to find where the sim card (or whatever it's called) is. Our old VCast phones had one, but these newer model ones don't it seems. I looked through the manual and everything and I guess this phone just doesn't have one? Or is it built into the battery?

Usually if you take the battery out and let it dry out for AT LEAST 24 HOURS - preferably 48, then charge it and turn it on, it will be fine.We've had cell phones in the lake before that worked fine later.Don't worry about the card if you didn't take it out.We've had an I-phone (not ours but from an accident) survive in a snowbank/puddle for 3 weeks. It was on when it got wet.Hopefully it shut down before it shorted....just wait and see...

The sim card is probably hiding under a slide out panel. That's where mine is. If you don't see it when you remove the battery, look for a little door that slides or hinges open.

Some of the newer phones don't have SIM cards at all... Good luck doing this. My SIL dropped his in the toilet and plugged it into the charger for 48 hours and it never came back...

My son's went through the washer and never worked again. I hope you have better luck!!

I dropped mine in the toilet (pre-pee Thank goodness) I snatched it and HAD to use it that night. It worked for 2 calls, then the 4 button kept sending me to my contact list LOL. I took it apart, let it dry for 24 hours, put it back together, recharged it and it works just fine.
My Mom dropped her's in the toilet (post-pee - don't tell her I told you guys, she would be mortified LOL) she fished it out, washed in soapy water - battery and all, let it dry out for 48 hours, recharged it and it works fine.
My DH dropped his in the parking lot at the job site found it the next morning and it worked fine. The job site was Fargo North Dakota in December, ie 2 feet of snow & -15 degrees at midnight.

Don't give up right off the bat, try the dry out rechagre route first. Good luck!

I had a Samsung phone that I did this with and let it dry out. It worked for 2 weeks and then just completely crapped out on me. I think it really depends on the brand. I have heard of people who have done this and it ended up working just fine and those were Sony Ericksons.

when my daughter dropped hers in the potty we dried it on 200 in the oven overnight works fine

Mine's the Verizon VCast phone. There aren't any other slots other than a memory card slot. I'm guessing mine's the kind with the sim card built in. Well, I'll wait 48 hours, then charge it and see what happens. I guess I'll prepare myself for the fact that it might not work, or it'll only work for a little then die. I'll just wait and see. Thanks everyone! :)

Well, I have no advice about drying it out, just that I did the same thing, just to let you know you are not the only one. Went to wash jeans and decided to wash the shorts I had on so I took them off and threw them in the washer---- and then the dryer. I kept hearing this kulunk kulunk and thinking my son had left rocks in his pocket again I reach in and there was my cell phone! :yuck: All I can say is thank goodness for insurance!
kim

Teresa Lynn said:
when my daughter dropped hers in the potty we dried it on 200 in the oven overnight works fine

And in the morning, you stuck in one of the old TPC cake testers, and it came out clean, so you knew it was done? :confused:

Well, it's ruined. I let it dry out till today. I just tried to hook it up to the charger and nothing happened. It didn't make the typical noise and light up at all when I connected it. I guess I'll be heading over to the Verizon store this week. :(

Bummer!!!!!!!!!

Well I just got back from the Verizon store. They were so nice. I was honest and told them what happened. They gave me a one time courtesy and replaced my phone for free! Yay! It was such a nice surprise! :) I didn't even ask, I just went in and told them what happened and they told me that's what they were going to do!

babywings76 said:
Well I just got back from the Verizon store. They were so nice. I was honest and told them what happened. They gave me a one time courtesy and replaced my phone for free! Yay! It was such a nice surprise! :) I didn't even ask, I just went in and told them what happened and they told me that's what they were going to do!

Lucky you! :balloon:

Verizon wouldn't even give my son a discount when that happened to him.

Well I need to print your response of getting a free phone or drive to your VZ Wireless store in PA!!

My son just swam w/his phone yesterday in the ocean. Poor kid! He already is not feeling good w/a terrible cold. I think that's why he forgot about it because he has been so great w/taking care of it. He was very upset! We are going to let it dry for at least 72 hours before trying to turn it on, but I don't think there is really any hope. Salt water is just not good!

His phone is not cheap either - it's an Envy II.

We all make mistakes don't we.

Experience is what you gather just after you need it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Experience is what you gather just after you need it.

So true......

1. How can I fix my phone after it went through the wash?

If your phone went through the wash, the first thing you should do is turn it off immediately and remove the battery (if possible). Then, use a cloth or paper towel to gently blot away any excess water. Let the phone air dry for at least 24 hours before attempting to turn it back on. If the phone still does not work, you may need to take it to a professional for repair.

2. Will putting my phone in rice help dry it out?

While putting your phone in rice may help absorb some of the moisture, it is not a foolproof method and may not fully dry out your phone. It is best to let the phone air dry for at least 24 hours and avoid using rice as it can also potentially get stuck in the phone's ports.

3. Can I use a hair dryer to dry my phone?

No, using a hair dryer to dry your phone can potentially damage the internal components. The heat from the hair dryer can also cause the water to evaporate too quickly, leaving residue and potentially causing more damage.

4. What should I do if my phone is still not working after drying it out?

If your phone is still not working after drying it out, it may have sustained water damage. Take it to a professional repair shop or contact your phone's manufacturer for further assistance.

5. How can I prevent my phone from getting damaged in the future?

To prevent your phone from getting damaged in the future, always make sure to check your pockets before doing laundry and never leave your phone near water or other liquids. You can also consider purchasing a waterproof case for added protection.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Chef_2_Four
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef_2_Four