1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Off Topic- need advise on cursing

1. cookin to the top

cookin to the top Member Gold Member

I now have a two year old, who is in the "parrot" phase. My immediate family and I need some alternatives to our sometimes colorful language... do you remember phrases your grandparents (or parents, or even you) used, instead of cursing? Do you have any good ones that have stuck in your mind that we can possibly implement? Thanks!

2. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

Well, gosh darn it and gee whilikers, I can't think of any.

3. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

When I went to confirmation camp, we were given a word to use. Each camp had their own. Our's was "masla" which is butter in Russian.

Aug 23, 2009
  4. darlinclem

darlinclem Advanced Member Gold Member

I've always liked "BEECH nut tree!" :)

Aug 23, 2009
  5. pcsharon1

pcsharon1 Veteran Member Gold Member

You know, I say all kids of stuff from "holy cow" which came out of my 2 year old today at the safari park when the ostrich pecked the car window as HO D COW! - to "For the Love of Monkey's" - no idea where that one came from but it's gotten me through some rough times!

Aug 23, 2009
  6. pc_jessica

pc_jessica Advanced Member

oh fruit loops, shittake mushrooms, fudge cake,

Aug 23, 2009
  7. Chef Endora

Chef Endora Advanced Member Gold Member

Fiddlesticks! Aw shoot!

Aug 23, 2009
  8. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

Just remember...
    Heck is for those who don't believe in Gosh...

Aug 23, 2009
  9. cookin to the top

One I use a lot is "dag nab it", but in the heat of the moment.... lol

10. elizabethfox

elizabethfox Advanced Member Gold Member

It was pointed out to me recently that I say "poop" or "oh poop" for just about any bad thing that happens. Do not ask me why I say it.. because I have no clue.. but I guess it is better than saying something else! LOL

Aug 23, 2009
  11. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I say sugar or sugarplums a lot instead of the s word or crap (still not great, but better!), gosh darnit or gosh darned instead of GD, and I generally just say "jerk" instead of the b or a word :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Aug 23, 2009
  12. Judybabe

Judybabe Guest

Learn another language that helps.

Aug 23, 2009
  13. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

We say "Poops-a-tari" a lot.

Aug 23, 2009
  14. The_Kitchen_Guy

"This is a dad-burned outrage!"
    --Gabby Hayes

15. dkitten13

dkitten13 Member

I am glad someone posted this. My most difficult is when I'm really angry and I say very bad things but am so mad I don't care! Adjustment needed...

Aug 23, 2009
  16. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

I usually say, "Seriously?!" or "Oh my word!" When I am trying not to swear, which is not often. LOL

Aug 23, 2009
  17. Triciascucina

Triciascucina Member

hubbies a sailor, try teaching the kids not to swear is fun here are the changes I use: son of a bisquick, fudgesicles, dag nab it, sugar I think there is more but he is away at school now.

18. erinyourpclady

erinyourpclady Veteran Member Gold Member

Jeez O Petes!!! My neighbor says it all the time so now I do!

19. The_Kitchen_Guy

It's a very difficult habit to break, especially in the heat of a given moment. My first wife used to leave the house when I told her I was about to embark on a plumbing project. She always said I used words she had never heard before. :)

20. tmseiling

tmseiling Novice Member

My great aunt used "heaven's to Betsy" I still don't know who Betsy is.

Aug 24, 2009
  21. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

LOL - My Grandma and Mom used that too - along with "Oh, for Pete's Sake"....

Who are these people?

Aug 24, 2009
  22. The_Kitchen_Guy

According to Gary Martin's website, The Phrase Finder, the phrase first appeared in print in 1891 and no one really knows the origin.

Charles Earle Funk (as in Funk & Wagnall's) published a book called Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings in 1955. He said no one knows who Betsy was and the origin of "Heavens to Betsy" will never be solved.

(I think Pete and Betsy used to own a pub somewhere.)

23. ChefForrester

ChefForrester Novice Member

Shut the front door! I use that one a lot, and my friend says sugar and fudge.

24. dianevill

dianevill Senior Member Gold Member

My neighbor says "Cheese and rice" a lot.

Aug 24, 2009
  25. LeslieSGI

LeslieSGI Member Gold Member

"Sweet baby cheeses!" always lightens the moment. ​

Aug 24, 2009
  26. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

Fudge and Crud are two favorites!

'Gosh durn it' comes out of my mouth too.... I'm so bad :)

Aug 24, 2009
  27. colegrovet

colegrovet Veteran Member Gold Member

most of mine are while driving.... blooming idiot .. or I found idiotville again..

Aug 24, 2009
  28. Jinkies

Jinkies Member

My dad always says, "For Pete's Sake!" I always jokingly ask him who Pete is :) Hubby and I love Battle Star Galactica and he always says Frak now (which was their F-word on the show.)

Aug 24, 2009
  29. SummerG

SummerG Member

A girlfriend of mine says: "H E double hockey sticks"

I say "Shoot" and "Darn It" now and then. Never really been one to swear. I'll never forget the first time I ever said the "f" word in front of my DH his mouth just dropped to the floor-he was shocked.

Aug 24, 2009
  30. Kitchen Diva

Kitchen Diva Legend Member Gold Member

I say "for the love of Bea Arthur" and "Oh Mylanta!!" Instead of OMG, and Seriously?!?-Really?!?...I actually use those two quite a bit, along with I'll be jiggered, and What the Fluff for a stronger version of What the Heck. :)

Aug 24, 2009
  31. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Holy Cow, fudge puppies (no idea where that came from, and not sure how tasty fudge puppies would be, but it does make my kids laugh sometimes). I also have not-really-words-just-random-sounds thing. It's always the same, but since I'm not upset right now, I can't think of what it is!!

32. cmdtrgd

cmdtrgd Legacy Member Gold Member

I'm curious (don't kill me, but I don't have kids and I don't know what I would do in this situation) but if you are using a word in place of a curse word, isn't it the same thing? We as a society determine what "bad" words are, but it is the intention behind them that makes them harmful. So, if the intention is still there....

Aug 24, 2009
  33. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I remember the time that my Mom, when really angry about something, used the word "sh!t" in front of us kids. We all went for the jugular of course - "Ah, Mom - you used a bad word!", etc...

Mom informed us that sh!t wasn't a swear word, it was a Family Word.

Meaning - you can only use it when it's just family around. We all laughed, and we never let her forget it! :D:D:D

Aug 24, 2009
  34. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

I can still remember my grandmother saying "Oh, sugar!" and "Oh, fudge!" I can't ever imagine her saying the real curse words!! LOL! ;)

35. The_Kitchen_Guy

W.C. Fields slipped past the censors by using "Godfrey Daniel!" as an expletive. He had a couple other choice ones, too, and also used "DRAT!" in a melodramatic way.

But "Godfrey Daniel!" is still one of my favorites, probably just because he was able to get it past the Hayes office without anyone there knowing what it meant.

36. cookin to the top

My mom was annoyed by my little one who was whining, and asked her, "what are you b#*&*ing about?" I couldn't believe she said that!!! Mom saw my face, and said, "what, that's a bad word?" DUH!!!

37. Triciascucina

Triciascucina Member

When my son was young he said a curse word and I remember telling him that he is not allowed to talk like that. He wanted to know why daddy can use those words and he cannot. Well I told him daddy had a special license that only grown ups can get to use those words.

38. fikibiff

fikibiff Member Gold Member

Kate, I'm right with you. I have been trying to figure that out for years. That said, I also alter my language around my kids. Not that I usually swear that much.

My son likes to say "Oh tarter sauce!" and "Oh barnicals!" - he watches Sponge Bob.

Aug 25, 2009
  39. WLMcCoy

WLMcCoy Advanced Member

My 2 year old is in the 'parrot' phase, too. My DH & I do not frequently curse but sometimes the sudden phrase slips & she catches on quite quickly! When she says "Da**it" we turn around, stomp our foot & say "dag gone it" in a silly voice! Same w/ sh*t (which my 16 y/o brother taught her) & we say "Shoot Fire". Which she thinks is hilarious.

We've also turned 'crap' into 'crud nugget'.

But we frequently say "Oh, Poopy Doopy" "Turd Nugget" & "Holy Cannoli"

I think anything funny or silly works!

Aug 25, 2009
  40. baychef

baychef Senior Member Silver Member

"Well butter my biscuits"
    "Dog my cat"
    "Rats"
    Now that my son is 19 and not around much...I talk like a sailor sometimes!

My Dad used to say "friggin"...which I don't like! That is why as a small Catholic girl I thought my Protestant father was going straight to hell.:( But now that I am grown up I realize now what "the 50's, a pregnant Catholic girl and a Protestant boy" meant back then!!!! And given what was going on with our priests, now I know my :angel:Dad:angel: is definately heaven material!!!)

If you don't make too much of a fuss about it, they will not think that it is worth repeating because it didn't get much of a reaction. What really floors me is when I hear people thinking it is "cute" to teach little ones curse words to see the expression on other adults faces.

Aug 25, 2009
Have something to add?