• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

offTopic: Macbook Pro Vs. Air

In summary, the Air is good for someone who doesn't travel a lot and doesn't need a lot of features the Pro offers. The Pro is good for someone who travels a lot and needs those features.
babywings76
Gold Member
Okay, some of you may have seen me mention that I'm saving up for a laptop. I'm so excited that right now I have $900 saved up! Just a few more shows and I'll have the money needed to get my MacBook! Now, I'm getting mixed reviews on which I should get. I've been to the Apple store 3 times (window shopping and getting other things and while I was there I also asked for some input on the MacBooks), and I got 2 people who think the Air is perfect for what I want, but one that said I should get the Pro. Online review tend to recommend the Pro. So all you Mac lovers out there, what would you get? Air: Apple - MacBook Air - The next generation of MacBooks.
It's lightweight and runs fast because of the flash drive. Seems that this would be easier to tote around to shows and fit in my catalog tote as I'm out and about and want to bring it places and do work. It "wakes up" fast they say and is quiet and doesn't get hot like a regular lap top because it's not running a hard drive. I'm thinking it will be perfect also to be my digital cookbook that will sit on my kitchen island. (I have Yummy Soup! software that is awesome for storing my recipes. I'm slowly getting rid of my paper clutter.) It will also be so that I can have a computer when I get kicked off the iMac from my husband. More and more he's been needing to do computer work at home. :(Down side: no CD slot. But I can download all my software. I have a Mobile Me account and save things to my iDisk, so I can transfer data easily. I can also grab things from my iTunes and put it on and take off as needed. (So I can put a few movies on it before leaving for vacation or something, and then delete them when I'm done.)MacBook Pro: a full fledged laptop. Can do everything. Has a backlit keypad. Down side: heavier *How much space does P3 take up? I'm trying to figure out how much room it will take up and if the Air or the Pro would handle it better.I'm concerned that if I get the Air, I'll outgrow it and wish I had gotten the Pro. But the guys at Apple think that I won't outgrow it and that it's a great second computer station for my home, since I already have an iMac. If I didn't have another computer at home, I'd for sure get the Pro...and I think that's why online people were recommending the Pro. The Air just keeps tempting me... :DAnother question...do you think 13 inches is too small? Will P3 be hard to see on it? Will guests be squinting and having a hard time when I have it at check out? If so, I'll just scrap the Air idea and get a 15 in Pro. It costs more, but I can wait a few more months to raise the $. Anyway...you guys know me..the indecisive and over-analytical one. It's just if I'm going to spend this much money, I want to be confident in my decision. ;)

I have a Macbook Pro and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! When I talked to the Geniuses at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store, and they said unless you travel frequently, getting a Macbook Air is kind of a waste of money because its more expensive and offers less (in terms of tech specs) other than it being more lightweight. I take my Macbook Pro with me out of town and to shows and its not really that heavy, IMO. I've had a 13" screen on my last Macbook, and it wasn't too small at all. My Pro wakes up quickly, and I always have it muted, so it wakes quietly as well (as long as the disk drive isn't in use). Any-who, I know none of this is helpful at all. Honestly, its a Mac...you really can't go wrong either way. But as a Pro user, I LOVE IT! Good luck with your decision!

I have a 13" regular Mac Book that I got over 2 years ago. I love it!! I think either way you'll be happy. 13" isn't too small, I can see just fine - my guests don't look at my laptop at all. I personally don't use the disk drive too much. Once in a blue moon I'll watch a movie on it (like once a year!) or watch the new change over DVD.

I have the MacBook Pro and Love it!!!!

I loved our MacBook Pro - 13" was fine, even for watching movies in the car on vacation, and it wasn't very heavy. Be sure to use a surge protector! We always just plugged it in around the house wherever - and then we had a storm one night. At least they could salvage the hard drive. Now we have to use an old Dell that my job provides - talk about HEAVY! - until we save enough to visit the Apple store again!

Ours is the MacBook Pro 13". It's perfect for us as a second computer. We've got an iMac at home too and the pro works great. It's beefy enough for what we need and doubles as our dvd player for vacation. :)

meganmcg said:
I loved our MacBook Pro - 13" was fine, even for watching movies in the car on vacation, and it wasn't very heavy. Be sure to use a surge protector! We always just plugged it in around the house wherever - and then we had a storm one night. At least they could salvage the hard drive. Now we have to use an old Dell that my job provides - talk about HEAVY! - until we save enough to visit the Apple store again!

My Pro was not working, battery over charged, and video card went bad. It was no longer covered under warranty but when I took it in they replaced everything for free. You might want to check it out.

Amyskitchen2 said:
My Pro was not working, battery over charged, and video card went bad. It was no longer covered under warranty but when I took it in they replaced everything for free. You might want to check it out.

The logic board was ruined by the power surge. To replace was going to cost nearly $900 - which at that cost we might as well buy a new one. Our warranty was up too - now if I would have purchased the extended warranty it would have been covered. They bought the laptop for the parts, which was the only good thing - that and we have learned our lesson about surge protectors!

I have an Air and I love it. Unless you are a huge power there is no need for the Pro.

Greg, for some reason this thread is a target for almost daily odd spam. Should it get closed or something? You've been great at removing the posts so quickly, but maybe it should get closed?

Spam? You mean those wonderful messages with lyric text that should be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Literature? There's an old theory that a room full of monkeys with typewriters would eventually begin to write Shakespeare. I think the Internet has pretty much blown that theory all to heck.

1. What are the main differences between the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air?

The main differences between the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are the screen size, performance, and price. The Macbook Pro has a larger screen and more powerful processor, making it better for tasks that require high performance, such as video editing or graphic design. The Macbook Air is lighter and more affordable, making it a great option for everyday use.

2. Which one is better for traveling?

The Macbook Air is better for traveling due to its lighter weight and more compact size. It is also more affordable, so it may be a better option if you are worried about losing or damaging your laptop while on the go.

3. Can I upgrade the storage on the Macbook Air?

Yes, you can upgrade the storage on the Macbook Air, but it is limited to a certain extent. The Macbook Air has a smaller and lighter design, so it does not have as much room for upgrades compared to the Macbook Pro. However, you can still upgrade the storage through external hard drives or cloud storage options.

4. Which one is better for gaming?

The Macbook Pro is better for gaming due to its more powerful processor and dedicated graphics card. However, both the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are not specifically designed for gaming and may not provide the best gaming experience compared to a dedicated gaming laptop.

5. Do they come with a warranty?

Yes, both the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air come with a standard one-year warranty, which covers any defects or malfunctions. You can also purchase extended warranties for additional coverage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
GeorgiaPeach
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef