• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is This Terracotta Cookie Ornament Too Heavy for a Christmas Tree?

In summary, the conversation was about a Christmas ornament exchange group and trying to come up with ideas for ornaments this year. The conversation included a link to a cute ornament and concerns about its weight, as well as a discussion about a local craft store called Tall Mouse. The group shared ideas for homemade ornaments, including using cinnamon and applesauce to make faux cookie ornaments and creating a corrugated Santa ornament. The group also discussed the difficulty of coming up with new and unique ideas for the ornament exchange.
babywings76
Gold Member
I belong to a Christmas ornament exchange group. I'm trying to come up with an idea for this year. I came across this ornament. Tell me what you think-do you think it's going to be too heavy to hang on a tree? http://www.tallmouse.com/projects/xmas/terracookie/index.htm

That is way cute. I think it might be to heavy though. But with the heavy ornaments I get i still use them. Just put them on a branch and have them sit on the branch right below it.

That looks awfully heavy. It is really cute, though.

Maybe I'll make a sample and see how it goes.

Oh, and if anyone has any other ideas I'd love it! Just in case this doesn't work out. Plus, there's always a need for ideas for next year. :)

<hijack>I love Tall Mouse. It's the best craft store I have ever been in. I'm so bummed they're a local business only in Southern California.</hijack>

It is adorable, and I personally wouldn't worry about it being too heavy the tree. If it is, it can always be used somewhere else. Maybe leave the bottom balls off, so it can stand on it's own.

I LOVE Tall Mouse! It's local to me and a good friend works there so he always hooks me up. They recently celebrated their 43rd anniversary so he tipped me off to a 43% off the whole store sale a few days after I was in there shopping. So I came back and saved an AMAZING amount of money on a project I was making for my sister-in-law's wedding gift. I was so happy to be able to get as much as I wanted and the more expensive things (even though their prices are so much better than Michael's anyways). Plus he gives me a 20% discount any time I come in!

As far as the ornaments go, I'm doing a boutique this year and I'm making these faux cooking ornaments that I found on the Martha Stewart site.

1 c cinnamon
1/4 c applesauce

Mix together then gradually add while stirring 1/2 white craft glue (I just used Elmer's glue). Let sit for 30-60 min. then knead.

Then roll it out like you would cookie dough and cut it out with Christmas shaped cookie cutters! If it's too wet, add cinnamon; if too dry, spritz with water. Use a straw to cut out a hole to string it and let dry for 1-2 days, flipping a few times so they dry flat. If you make them too thin they curl so I made my about 1/4 in. thick and they stayed totally flat. Then I found craft foam paint in small bottles with writing tips and I've decorated them like they're frosted cookies. I had little treat bags left over from the party supply store and put 4 different shapes in each bag. It's SUPER cheap so you could make a "set". The shapes I have are a star, a christmas tree, a stocking and a candy cane. You could also do a dove, gingerbread man, round ornament (which you could probably do with a cup) etc. I have a picture of a completed Christmas tree one on my phone. If you'd really like to see it let me know and I'll upload it and post it here.

I had no idea that Tall Mouse was a craft store! lol I thought it was just some website with a funny name. I tell ya, I love my ornament group, but it's so hard coming up with ideas every year. The women have been in this group for 15 years or so. I've been in it for 5 or 6 (so bad...I can't even remember!) The expectations are really high, since we have a whole year to make them. You should see the incredible ones people have made. It's hard to come up with things cause I'm always wondering, "is that too simple, does it look like my kids made it, someone just made something similar 3 years ago, etc..." It's a lot of fun, but coming up with the idea is always hard. Here's what I made last year:
http://www.tallmouse.com/projects/xmas/corrugatedclaus/index.htm (only I didn't put the present on there)

I think it would be adorable attached to a wreath.

mrshamel3808 said:
I LOVE Tall Mouse! It's local to me and a good friend works there so he always hooks me up. They recently celebrated their 43rd anniversary so he tipped me off to a 43% off the whole store sale a few days after I was in there shopping. So I came back and saved an AMAZING amount of money on a project I was making for my sister-in-law's wedding gift. I was so happy to be able to get as much as I wanted and the more expensive things (even though their prices are so much better than Michael's anyways). Plus he gives me a 20% discount any time I come in!

As far as the ornaments go, I'm doing a boutique this year and I'm making these faux cooking ornaments that I found on the Martha Stewart site.

1 c cinnamon
1/4 c applesauce

Mix together then gradually add while stirring 1/2 white craft glue (I just used Elmer's glue). Let sit for 30-60 min. then knead.

Then roll it out like you would cookie dough and cut it out with Christmas shaped cookie cutters! If it's too wet, add cinnamon; if too dry, spritz with water. Use a straw to cut out a hole to string it and let dry for 1-2 days, flipping a few times so they dry flat. If you make them too thin they curl so I made my about 1/4 in. thick and they stayed totally flat. Then I found craft foam paint in small bottles with writing tips and I've decorated them like they're frosted cookies. I had little treat bags left over from the party supply store and put 4 different shapes in each bag. It's SUPER cheap so you could make a "set". The shapes I have are a star, a christmas tree, a stocking and a candy cane. You could also do a dove, gingerbread man, round ornament (which you could probably do with a cup) etc. I have a picture of a completed Christmas tree one on my phone. If you'd really like to see it let me know and I'll upload it and post it here.

i would love to see a picture of this!!

not to digress but i collect ornaments of new things i'm involved in each year, i would love to find a pampered chef ornament, are there any around?

I was trying to think of a homemade one I could do to symbolize PC. As we exchange ornaments, we try to share a story behind it. Either how we came up with it, or any funny stories about how the experience was making it, or whatever. Each year, people seem to pick an ornament that represents something that applied to their lives that year. Not me, I'm like "umm, I saw this idea and thought it was cute" lol :D

I saw this really cute ornament today in Oriental Trading. It was a craft kids for kids but could easily be done at home.

It was skinny strips of felt that you rolled up like you would cinnamon roll dough. Then you attached a popsicle stick to the back & made lollipop ornaments. I know that description doesn't do it justice but I can't find it in the catalog anymore!

I found it!

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?Ntt=HT-48%2F5966&requestURI=searchMain&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

dont they make wooden flower pits that would be lighter weight

Teresa Lynn said:
dont they make wooden flower pits that would be lighter weight

Oh okay, I'll have to look into that for next year. I still want to make this ornament. Maybe I'll make one and perfect it's weight so I can do it for next year. In the meantime, my mom found this ornament and thought I could copy it. There's a Gourd Farm about an hour from me. It was neat to go and see their craft store and all the possible projects you can make from the dried out gourds.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 376
crystalscookingnow said:
I saw this really cute ornament today in Oriental Trading. It was a craft kids for kids but could easily be done at home.

It was skinny strips of felt that you rolled up like you would cinnamon roll dough. Then you attached a popsicle stick to the back & made lollipop ornaments. I know that description doesn't do it justice but I can't find it in the catalog anymore!

I found it!

Lollipop Ornament Craft Kit

That's really cute! Thanks for sharing it! I'm just loving all these ideas you guys are sharing! I'll have many years worth of ideas at this rate! :D

Here's one I'm talking to teacher about coming in and helping class make.

This isn't a really fancy one, but if looking for one for kids, here's an idea.

I've got nesties and cuttlebug, so I can get circles done pretty easy.

http://familyfun.go.com/christmas/christmas-ornaments/dangling-snowman-671489/

What's really nice with this, you can make it different ways, you can add a hot if you want...put buttons on, use foam snowflakes as "buttons" there's lots of variations you can do to make it your own.

Lisa

1. What materials are used to make the offTopic Christmas Ornament?

The offTopic Christmas Ornament is made with high-quality glass and hand-painted with non-toxic, lead-free paint. It also features a durable metal hook for hanging.

2. Can the offTopic Christmas Ornament be personalized?

Yes, the offTopic Christmas Ornament can be personalized with a name or short message. Simply select the option for personalization when placing your order and enter the desired text.

3. How big is the offTopic Christmas Ornament?

The offTopic Christmas Ornament measures 3 inches in diameter, making it the perfect size for any Christmas tree or holiday decor.

4. Is the offTopic Christmas Ornament fragile?

While the offTopic Christmas Ornament is made with glass, it is carefully crafted to be durable and long-lasting. However, we do recommend handling it with care and storing it in a safe place when not in use.

5. Can I purchase the offTopic Christmas Ornament in bulk for a discount?

Yes, we offer bulk discounts for the offTopic Christmas Ornament. Please contact our customer service team for more information and pricing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • baychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
urbnk8
  • lockhartkitchen