• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

offTopic: Boys Clothing Shopping, Need Advice

In summary, stores that carry husky sizes for boys are Target, KMart, Sears, and JCPenney. If your son is like my son, he is "husky" and has a thicker waist and thighs. He fits into regular jeans at Old Navy, but the waistbands are adjustable. To find pants that fit him, look for brands with adjustable waistbands and sweatpants or athletic pants.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm so bummed. All my older son's pants hand-me-downs aren't fitting my younger son. I've got bins and bins of pants that I can't use. They are 2 different body types. My oldest son is pretty lean while my younger one is "husky". He's solid and strong, like a football player. Thick wrists and strong thighs and wide waist. I have no idea what to do for him anymore for clothes. I went shopping with him last fall and couldn't find things to fit him. He should be about a size 7 or 8, but size 10 pants are more like the size that fits him in the waist, but they are super long. And I am not a sewer and can't hem jeans. Any advice? Do you know of any stores or brands that have more "husky" sizes?

I get most of my son's husky pants at Target, and sometimes I can do ok at Kohl's if I have a coupon. My son has a thicker waist and thighs also, and shorter in the legs (long torso, short legs).

My son is like your older son. My daughter has what I call thickness through the middle. No pudge, just a tough time with regular waistbands. The "plus" size of Old Navy jeans are too big for her but the regulars are too tight. I get my son's jeans at Old Navy. Right now they're $10/pair plus if you spend more than $50 you get 10% off your total and earn Old Navy bucks. I know they have "plus" for girls so there has got to be something like husky or plus for boys. What is weird is that their skinny style for boys is too big on my son but the regular style in slim fits him right with taking in the adjustable waistband. I used to get a lot of their pants at Osh Kosh. Bigger waistbands for DD and adjustable ones that would go in enough for DS. Most elastic waist pants on my son just slide right down him. He's tall, too, so finding things that are long enough without falling off of his waist is my challenge. What about more sweatpants and athletic pants for your son? My one friend's son has some sensitivity issues and will only wear sweatpants now.I hand down to a friend's boy then I realize he's a bit thicker in the middle than my son. Those pants aren't going to fit him. Another little boy in the neighborhood is the skinny minny type so he's getting the jeans.

Would you be willing to learn to sew? Hemming pants is one of the easiest sewing projects.

There are also the Style Snaps you see on TV: https://www.asseenontv.com/detail.php?p=296803&SESSID=bc9b90026fb77ce58092c4d8228eb627

Doesn't Sears have husky? My kids were always the opposite tiny waists and super long legs and the waist bands bunched and they were way too short

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to check out all those stores. Last fall, I found some Husky, but the selection was very small and what they had didn't work out. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. Thanks! :)

Target, KMart, Sears & JCPenney are the stores around here that have husky sizes.
My son rarely wore jeans when he was younger, though. We usually got navy or khaki pants with elastic. His school dress code was shirts tucked in. If the pants had belt loops, they had to wear a belt. The elastic waist pants were perfect - no belt loops! Even in the larger boys sizes, some brands have those adjustable ones with buttons where you can make them tighter or looser.

I'm in the exact same boat. My boys are 14 and 10. My 14 yr old is lean lean lean...and my 10 yr old is solid & husky. I've been very successful the past 2 years buying their cargo shorts at Kohl's - the brand is Urban Pipeline. They have the adjustable waistband so while the 16's fit my 14 yr old with LOTS of room to grow, the 12s and 14s fit my younger one. So as Son # 1 outgrows I can actually pass them down to son #2. And on sale they're usually $14...then stack a 30% coupon and a $10 card on top and they're dirt cheap.

I ended up finding success at Kohl's and Old Navy! I should've started at Old Navy, because the jeans are only $10!! My son fit their jeans, no problem! I was so relieved. We ended up not even needing Husky ones. Also, it seems that Husky sizes only begin with size 10, so we would've been struggling if he hadn't fit the regular size 8's. I'm so glad we found things and he didn't end up getting his feelings hurt that he was too big for things. Last year, when he wasn't fitting things at Target and JCPenny's, he started thinking he was fat...and some mean kids at school told him he was fat, so I was getting worried that his self-esteem was crushed. We keep telling him that people are all built differently. He is healthy and exercises and is what he is and that's just right! That, and unfortunately mean people are everywhere and usually just try to find mean things to say because they are just looking for a reaction and want people to feel bad.

My oldest has the same thoughts sometimes. "I need to lose weight!". I tell him that even s a newborn, he was always on the 90-95% side of the scale, as he still is now for height and age. Doctor told us as he gets ready for growth spurts, he will get a pooch, then slim. Thankfully, since we homeschool, he is ot exposed to kids everyday that would pick on him for size, teeth (needing braces later this year), etc.

I will have to check out Old Navy, i have never gone there!

Yes, Bobbi, hit Old Navy. All the jeans I bought there are in the washer now. It's a lot at once but I sucked it up and got a bunch for DS since they were only $10. DD got good jeans from LL Bean last year. It was tough finding something that would fit her right. I'm afraid she'll decide they're not fashionable enough this year. She grew 3" in the last year so of course nothing fits from last year.DD10 is in the 95th %ile as well. She has been asking me since she was 7 if she's fat. She's not! I am, she's not. I love how the pediatrician tells her every year "ok, you're still 95th% for height and 90th for weight. Perfectly proportioned. Just right." She gets a little pudgier in the middle section sometimes, like at the beginning of this summer when she started sitting around watching TV all the time. Then she'll thin out when she's more active or grows some more.

My son was a husky through elementary school... last year, he got hormones, shot up and thinned out. I actually have to go back and buy smaller shorts this year! All his shirts from 6th grade still fit now because he was stretching them out then and now, they're baggy on him.Anyway, in answer to your question - try WalMart or WalMart online. They have great reasonably priced boys pants and jeans in a large range of husky sizes. Kohls and JCPenney also carry husky sizes or have thme online and you can return to the store if they don't fit.As far as girls.. my daughter was much the same way and she thinned way out this year too. Both my kids just kinda grew up into their bodies.

1. How do I determine the right size for my child?

The best way to determine the right size for your child is to measure them using a measuring tape. You can then refer to our size chart for accurate measurements and choose the size that corresponds to your child's measurements.

2. What are the most important factors to consider when shopping for boys clothing?

The most important factors to consider when shopping for boys clothing are comfort, durability, and style. It's important to choose clothes that your child will feel comfortable wearing and that can withstand their active lifestyle. Additionally, choosing clothes with a style that your child likes will make them more likely to wear and enjoy them.

3. How do I find the right balance between quality and affordability?

One way to find the right balance between quality and affordability is to look for sales and discounts. Many clothing stores offer promotions and discounts throughout the year, which can help you save money without sacrificing quality. You can also consider purchasing items that are versatile and can be worn in different ways, allowing you to get more wear out of them.

4. My child has sensitive skin, what materials should I look for in their clothing?

If your child has sensitive skin, it's important to look for clothing made from soft, natural materials such as cotton or bamboo. These materials are less likely to irritate the skin and are more breathable, which can help prevent overheating and discomfort.

5. What are some essential items to have in a boy's wardrobe?

Some essential items to have in a boy's wardrobe include basic t-shirts, comfortable jeans or pants, a warm jacket or coat, and a few versatile pieces such as a button-down shirt or a hoodie. It's also important to have a few different options for different occasions, such as a dressier outfit for special events and more casual clothes for everyday wear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • bbauman07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PoseyMom
Replies