• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for Long-Distance Driving: From New England to Chicago

In summary, the conversation revolves around a group of people planning to drive from New England to Chicago and seeking advice and recommendations on the best route to take, the accuracy of AAA trip planner, and how long to drive in a day. Some suggestions include using the commuter train to avoid driving in downtown Chicago and being cautious of toll roads and construction. Overall, the group agrees that it is a long and potentially challenging drive, but with proper planning and breaks, it can be manageable.
dawnsclassycupboard
A group of us are driving from New England to Chicago this year. Anyone here done that?

Have you ever used AAA trip planner and how accurate are their times?

How long do you recommend to drive in a day?

And probably a gazillion other questions that I can't think of right now....

Any and all imput would be appreciated!!

Don't know about New England to Chicago, but my mom and I drove from Los Angeles to Atlanta several years ago and the AAA planner was very accurate.

AAA should be ok since you are going to Chicago. If you were going anywhere past Chicago I would say NO. They always seem to send you right thru the busiest areas. as for time it will tale you. I used to live on the seacoast Portsmouth/Kittery area and it took about 12-14hrs. Watch those toll roads too.

Ha! New England to the Illinois border....I'm not sure.

But being from Northwest Indiana, I CAN tell you that the Illinois/Indiana border to Downtown Chicago will take you about a day and a half!!!!:eek:

Lots of construction -----------:p

jwpamp said:
Ha! New England to the Illinois border....I'm not sure.

But being from Northwest Indiana, I CAN tell you that the Illinois/Indiana border to Downtown Chicago will take you about a day and a half!!!!:eek:

Lots of construction -----------:p

Ooh, yeah. I'm not going anywhere NEAR the Dan Ryan these days. Thankfully DH can take the train to work. :)

I have AAA and it is usually right on the money. It takes me about 16-17 hours including stops to go from mid NC to Milwaukee. I do it in one day but it is a stretch to do that. Two days would be much easier. But then I do all the driving. If you have 3-4 drivers you could do it in one stretch as long as 2 are awake at a time. Depends on the people that are driving what they can handle.

Good luck on your drive. Lots of construction in Chicago...give yourselves extra time...and that's all I have to say about that!

etteluap70PC said:
AAA should be ok since you are going to Chicago. If you were going anywhere past Chicago I would say NO. They always seem to send you right thru the busiest areas. as for time it will tale you. I used to live on the seacoast Portsmouth/Kittery area and it took about 12-14hrs. Watch those toll roads too.

This is great info. Did you drive to Chicago in that amount of time??

I think that the way that the Trip Planner is taking us is down the high toll roads. Do you have a diferent suggested route?

Thanks to everyone for your input!!

I'm not sure about what you can do - but I know that we drive to conference, and live 3 hrs north of Chicago. We drive to Michigan City, and then take a commuter train into Chicago - takes us right downtown w/ a stop very close to the hotel, and then we just hoof it to the hotel. We park for free at the train station, and it's $15 round trip for the train. Coming from the east, I was just wondering if there was something like that you could do too - saves you the headache and expense of driving downtown!

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm not sure about what you can do - but I know that we drive to conference, and live 3 hrs north of Chicago. We drive to Michigan City, and then take a commuter train into Chicago - takes us right downtown w/ a stop very close to the hotel, and then we just hoof it to the hotel. We park for free at the train station, and it's $15 round trip for the train. Coming from the east, I was just wondering if there was something like that you could do too - saves you the headache and expense of driving downtown!

What is the train station that you use? This may be a good option for us.

1. What are some essential items to bring on a long-distance drive?

It's important to pack a first-aid kit, a spare tire, jumper cables, and a flashlight in case of emergencies. Other useful items include a road atlas, snacks and water, and a phone charger.

2. How often should I take breaks during a long-distance drive?

Experts recommend taking a break every 2-3 hours or every 100-150 miles. This will help prevent fatigue and allow you to stretch your legs and refocus.

3. Should I plan my route ahead of time?

Yes, it's always a good idea to plan your route before embarking on a long-distance drive. This will help you avoid potential construction or traffic delays and give you an estimated timeline for arrival.

4. What is the best time of day to start a long-distance drive?

The best time to start a long-distance drive is early in the morning. This will give you more daylight to work with and allow you to avoid rush hour traffic in major cities.

5. How can I stay alert during a long-distance drive?

To stay alert, make sure to get enough sleep the night before and take breaks as needed. It's also helpful to listen to upbeat music, open the windows for fresh air, and have a co-pilot to talk to and switch off driving duties with.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • dawnsclassycupboard
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • kcmckay