• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conf Prep: Questions for Nursing Moms and Their Answers

got the key!). It has several outlets, a chair, and usually at least one consultant who is nursing. There is usually someone else in the room, but it's usually quiet. There's usually a bathroom attached. You can usually walk across McCormick Place between sessions to get to the room.
pchefjaime
Gold Member
Ok,

So I just reg for conf today. I also sent an email to ho to ask what amenities are available to nursing moms. They had no clue. The email said she did not know except not to bring children. Well DUH that is why I was asking cause I am not bringing my child. I am lucky to live close to conf so I am driving I just need to know what to bring with me for the pumping area. Is there H2O right there or should I bring my wipes, Are there places to sit, Is it private do I need a cover up? ANy help would be great!

Just a thought before you get too annoyed with HO - if you ask about facilities for "nursing" (I realise you used the term "nursing mom", but still...), they probably expect that to involve a baby! If you ask about facilities for pumping, they might be able to answer your questions...

Can't answer your question myself I'm afraid, It's been ages since I've been to McCormick Place, I can't remember if there are any nice restrooms with sitting areas that would work...

I don't remember any areas that would be specific for comfort and pumping. All I remember is restrooms - and they aren't always conveniently located.

No I did ask about the amenities for pumping mom's. I know they have an "area" closed off I just do not know what is in there. I was preg last yr so I did not think about it. The area just outside the big hall where the boxs and breakfast to the right of that as you walk out was all closed with a big cutain and said nursing moms but I need to know what is in there so I know what to bring. Are there even chairs? Thank you for your help.

I think I'd bring what I needed- at least the most important, just in case. You can always leave it in your hotel the second day once you find out. (assuming someone isn't able to answer your question)

It was a few years ago that I spent half of conference in the nursing mothers room so it may have changed a little since then. I seem to have noticed at a more recent conference that they had moved it. When I used it, we had to get a key from a courtesy desk attendant, but I didn't see that desk lately so it may not be a locked area. There were usually a few of us in there at any given time. There were several outlets and chairs. Bring a drape if you want privacy. Usually there seems to be at least one consultant who has grandma bring the baby around for a nursing session so there may be people (grandmas, toddlers) besides nursing mothers in there. There was a bathroom attached to the room. There was not a water vending machine. I would bring my own water. Hopefully you have a lighter pump than I had. Mine was quite heavy and a literal pain to lug around. Consider borrowing a little rolling cart from someone. Also realize that you could have to walk across McCormick Place between sessions to get to the room if the room is near the main theater and the workshops were primarily where they were the last 2 years. Let me know if you have other questions.

Becca

ok, so what does one do with a nursing 6 month old. And no family in sight? I have a consultant that has registered. But now after finding out no children, does not know what to do. Those who live in Chicago is there any sort of baby sitting service or anything? she was thinking of trading baby sitting. or something like that.

pchefjaime said:
Ok,So I just reg for conf today. I also sent an email to ho to ask what amenities are available to nursing moms. They had no clue. The email said she did not know except not to bring children. Well DUH that is why I was asking cause I am not bringing my child. I am lucky to live close to conf so I am driving I just need to know what to bring with me for the pumping area. Is there H2O right there or should I bring my wipes, Are there places to sit, Is it private do I need a cover up? ANy help would be great!
From my experience with the "nursing moms room" at conference last year:There is a private, locked room for pumping - you get the key at the courtesy desk (IIRC, I left my driver's license with them, and I got a key for the duration of conf - it wasn't an issue for me, as I wasn't driving anywhere :)).Last year's room was pretty large, and was subdivided into several smaller areas with pipe/drape "walls". There were 3 or 4 separate areas in the space, and none of them were open to the area by the door when you were using them (IOW, you would not be visible while pumping when the outer door was opened). Each "cubby" had a table, a couple of chairs, and a handful of magazines. (I took my iPod in and listened to music while pumping).There were some shelves where you could leave your pumping equipment/supplies. I think there was a fridge, but I'm not sure (I was pumping and dumping). There were definitely electrical outlets.There was _not_ a sink available in the space - this was my biggest gripe, and I mentioned it on an evaluation form and emailed HO about it after conference.I think I saw one other mom in the space while I was there; I don't know if there weren't many of us, or we managed to stagger our visits or what :)

pclinskie said:
ok, so what does one do with a nursing 6 month old. And no family in sight? I have a consultant that has registered. But now after finding out no children, does not know what to do. Those who live in Chicago is there any sort of baby sitting service or anything? she was thinking of trading baby sitting. or something like that.

Can her husband go w/ her and arrange to meet her for nursing breaks?

no husband, can not attend. this is the problem

I'm surprised she registered before knowing what her options were regarding childcare. Can HO give refunds?

Well, I am leaving my 7 month old with my mom. I do only live 45 min from conf though. I know it sounds weird but maybe she can bring her babysitter if she is old enough. Then she can stay in the room with baby. I was asked to travel with the family I watched when they went on vacation one yr. I know that here in chicago there are babysitting services I just do not know to much about them. I know she can get a refund until the 14th.
Spiritdancer,
thank you so much for your help that is what I needed. I hope that there is a fridge.

Jaime,
Do you have one of those insulated bags, sometimes they come w/ the breast pump kits? Maybe you could borrow one from a friend or something? Then have some ziplok bags that you can fill w/ ice from the hotel? Not sure if that's good enough for storing for so many hours, though. Are you planning to meet up w/ your mom & baby at some point during the day to give her the milk? Maybe a midday pickup would be okay w/ the milk on ice? Totally not sure if any of that would work...just throwing ideas out there. ;)

pclinskie said:
no husband, can not attend. this is the problem

YES husband can go. No one said he couldn't-guests are allowed. The baby just isn't allowed in the workshops and such but I'm betting that hubby and baby will stay at the hotel or walk around McCormick Place (its large so he can kill an hour or so that we are in a workshop) then she can feed and then go back to the hotel or what not. I bet if they make a schedule and he understands what there is/is not to do aroun McP then I bet it could work if he's open.

Good Luck!

jbdowd0798 said:
YES husband can go. No one said he couldn't-guests are allowed. The baby just isn't allowed in the workshops and such but I'm betting that hubby and baby will stay at the hotel or walk around McCormick Place (its large so he can kill an hour or so that we are in a workshop) then she can feed and then go back to the hotel or what not. I bet if they make a schedule and he understands what there is/is not to do aroun McP then I bet it could work if he's open.

Good Luck!

She might have meant that due to family finances, or work schedule, etc...that DH wouldn't be able to travel with her. ;)

I can't believe that HO wasn't able to answer your questions. Isn't there a spot on the registration to list that you are a nursing mom? I thought I saw that when I was looking at the classes.

I've nursed three babies, one of which I pumped for at National in 2005 and another at Leadership 2008.

Just an FYI, fresh breast milk does NOT need refrigeration for at least 8 to 10 hours, provided it stays at room temp. Once it is refrigerated and then heated back up, then it's only good for one hour. So if it works out to pump in the pumping rooms, you don't need refrigeration until you get back to the hotel, unless you can pump and dump.. I never could, I had to save it all! She can read more at LLLI | Home.

Tara

Tara,

Thank you I do understand that but I am not staying in the hotel so with drive it will be a long day for the milk. I am just gonna use the cooler with the pump. Cause like you I need every drop. Thank you to all for the help.

Sharon,
Yes there is a box to check for the application so that is why I thought HO could help. You guys are so much more helpfull!!!!

1. How can I make sure I have enough breastmilk for my baby while I'm at work?

The best way to ensure a sufficient milk supply is to pump regularly while at work. Plan to pump about every 3 hours, or as often as your baby typically nurses. It may also be helpful to pump a little extra in the morning when milk supply is typically highest.

2. What are some tips for storing breastmilk at work?

It's important to use clean containers for storing breastmilk. You can use breastmilk storage bags or clean bottles with tight-fitting lids. Label each container with the date and time the milk was pumped. Store milk in a fridge or cooler with ice packs until you can transfer it to a refrigerator or freezer at home.

3. How can I make pumping at work more comfortable?

Invest in a good quality breast pump that is comfortable and efficient. You can also bring a picture or video of your baby to help with let-down. Find a private and comfortable space to pump, and use a nursing cover or shawl if desired. Make sure to relax and take deep breaths while pumping.

4. Can I continue breastfeeding when I go back to work?

Absolutely! Many moms successfully continue breastfeeding while working. It may take some planning and adjustment, but it is possible. You can also consider using a breast pump during your lunch break or other breaks to maintain milk supply.

5. How can I talk to my employer about my need to pump at work?

It's important to communicate with your employer about your need to pump at work. Explain the benefits of breastfeeding for both you and your baby, and how it can positively impact your work. You can also discuss a schedule or accommodations that would work for both you and your employer. Remember, it is your legal right to have a private and comfortable space to pump at work.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • jenm42
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
iteachurkid
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies