• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with an NSF Check from a Host: Tips and Strategies | Bank Troubles"

In summary, the host's show was cancelled on February 29th, and she wrote a check for $630.98 to cover it. On March 8th, the check went NSF at her bank, and she is glad she had enough to cover it. She has tried to call the host daily, but she is not returning her calls. Her next step is to mail her a letter and hope she contacts her.
3girls
Gold Member
I have a host that closed her show on the 29th Feb and she wrote a check for $630.98...I learned on March 8th that the check went NSF over night at my bank. I am glad I had enough to cover it, but any suggestions on what to do now?

I have called daily several times to get her on the phone, but she is not calling me back. My next step is to mail her a letter and hope she contacts me.

Anyone else been in this situation and what did you do? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you can go to her bank to try to cash it. I would go Monday and every day until you get a hold of her or it clears. If it's too far maybe on a Friday hoping for her payday. Anyway she also owes you any return check fee you were charged.

Has the show been delivered? If not you can contact HO and try to get it re-routed to you so that you can hold the products until you get payment or have them sent back to recover your $$.ETA: Oh, wait. I see it was Feb 29 so it probably has been delivered. Sorry. I would do as suggested and keep trying to contact her and keep trying to cash the check. You could also tell her that you will start legal action if she doesn't respond by _____. There are procedures for that so check your local laws.

thank you! I don't like to do this to people, because I run a clean business and try to provide the best customer service I can to my hosts and guests...yes, the product was delivered the day before I found out it went NSF. She works nights, so I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that she just is way over worked or she lost her phone. I am hoping that the letter will be a good solution. UGH! so very frustrating.
Thanks for your help!

Oh wow! That's a huge check! Sorry you have to go through this. :(

If you know where she or her hubby works, maybe you (or someone you know) knows when payday is for his/her company. If so, you could try cashing the check at her bank that day or the next day.You'll probably need to mail a certified letter with a deadline for payment prior to filing theft charges with your local authorities. You'll need to do some research online to see what the required time frame is for your state.

Thus the reason why I will accept individual checks from customers instead of having them write their checks to the host who then writes one check to me... I'd rather chase down a small check than an entire party's check. It's a personal preference and the source of a different debate. I realize this doesn't help you right now and feel for you that you have to go through this at all.

I've had hosts who's personal orders are that big, we don't know if her check was all the host's order or if it included cash/checks paid to the host. But I'm like you, I have the guests write checks to me vs writing it to the host. I've encountered too many people (before starting PC) who think that when someone hands them cash/check for an organization purchase that they can use that money right now & pay it back later. I'd rather not deal with a host who has that mentality.Of course, when they ask, I tell them I prefer credit card so I don't have to go to the bank before submitting a show. I've done a lot of shows that were all cc with no cash/check. LOL So many consultants (with other companies) have to pay the cc fees when a customer uses a cc and they hesitate to do that to me knowing it might cost me money. When they learn that it doesn't cost me a dime, they are usually happy to do the cc route. Of course, if that doesn't go through ... then the whole show is held up ... but I make that clear to them that NO ONE gets their order in until it's resolved, so that usually helps put more of a fire under their "bum" to get it resolved ASAP. They don't want the others at the show to know that they are the reason for the delay.

Sheila said:
I've had hosts who's personal orders are that big, we don't know if her check was all the host's order or if it included cash/checks paid to the host. But I'm like you, I have the guests write checks to me vs writing it to the host. I've encountered too many people (before starting PC) who think that when someone hands them cash/check for an organization purchase that they can use that money right now & pay it back later. I'd rather not deal with a host who has that mentality.

Of course, when they ask, I tell them I prefer credit card so I don't have to go to the bank before submitting a show. I've done a lot of shows that were all cc with no cash/check. LOL So many consultants (with other companies) have to pay the cc fees when a customer uses a cc and they hesitate to do that to me knowing it might cost me money. When they learn that it doesn't cost me a dime, they are usually happy to do the cc route. Of course, if that doesn't go through ... then the whole show is held up ... but I make that clear to them that NO ONE gets their order in until it's resolved, so that usually helps put more of a fire under their "bum" to get it resolved ASAP. They don't want the others at the show to know that they are the reason for the delay.
I don't accept checks after the show closes - the host will pay me with a debit card or credit card for all outstanding orders. I know this doesn't help the OP now but think about it for the future. I put this in part of my host coaching and have only ran into two or three people who don't have debit or credit cards.

Another suggestion is to take your customers check to the bank it was drawn on and see if the funds are available. If not, ask if you can submit the check as a Collection Item. Some banks will take your customers check and hold it for 30 days until the money is in the account. They check daily and will withdraw the funds and submit the funds, less their fee after the money has been deposited by their customer to cover it. Make sure to ask the bank what their fee is, but generally it's between $5 and $25.

- Alas - I am a Credit Manager at a manufacturer- and this is a practice we take if we can't get the customer to return our calls.

Sorry that you are going through this with such a big amount. I am currently trying to collect on a $113 NSF check :( returned to me last week. (This was the mother of a recent host of a $1100 show. The show was actually held at the mom's house. The host asked me to have the show shipped to her home address instead of her mom's (hmmm), but I forgot to change the address out (her original address with me was PO box). I called the customer and she said she'd mail me another check, but lo and behold, I haven't received it yet. I am going to my bank today to see if I can try redepositing the NSF check. Otherwise, I will be sending her a certified letter, giving her 15 days before taking legal action. I had to do this a couple years ago with an $80 check :(. Unfortunately, I had just transfered some funds to my personal account, and therefore did not have enough to cover the NSF either, UGH!

I have started to do this with certain checks I recieve... I call the local branch of the issuing bank and tell them I am a merchant (because technically I am) calling to verify funds in an account before I cash a check. I've only come across one bank that has told me no.

The banks around here will not give me that information, citing "privacy concerns." However, they sometimes get around that by simply handing me back the check and saying, "don't cash this today."

The banks around here won't tell me over the phone because of privacy laws. If I drive to the bank, they will tell me if there are funds because I have physical proof (the check) that I'm involved with a transaction with their customer.

For the one in NC, I was not able to get the information from their bank, but when I called the current customer's bank today, they did let me know that there were not sufficient funds in the account to cover the check. :mad::cry::grumpy:

ShellBeach said:
The banks around here won't tell me over the phone because of privacy laws. If I drive to the bank, they will tell me if there are funds because I have physical proof (the check) that I'm involved with a transaction with their customer.

When you take it to their bank, I think they have to tell you. You are cashing it at their bank to ensure the account has enough funds.

update on my NSF check lady.....no checks still in the fund! ugh!!!! letter is sent to host....I hate to even think of small claims court.....what else to do?

Good Luck Tammy. The show for my NSF was about a 55 minute drive. I called her bank today, and the funds are there, but I wasn't able to get to the bank today (about 45 mins away). I am hoping there are still funds in the account tomorrow, and you betcha I will be making that trip! Otherwise, I have the letter all set to be printend and sent cerrtified mail to start the process.

ok...two days in a row driving to one of my hosts banks (the closest to me)....still no funds available....but as a bright note it wasn't all bad...I did book a party with the teller that helped me today....there is always tomorrow, but wow gas is $3.80 a gallon where I leave and I know it is not as high as some other places, but wow! come on....have a little respect for the pampered chef consultant that helped you get a lot of items at a fantastic price. I mailed a certified letter and no one home to sign for it....I have 13 days left before the post office mails it back to me....

Soooo sorry you have to deal with this. I called my customer's bank yesterday, and the funds were there, so I drove the 45 minutes one way to cash the check. (yes, gas is about $3.73 a gallon here), but I got the funds. I just want to call the customer and say "Ha! Take that!!!!", because I think she was thinking I was "waiting" for her to send another check!!!

Hopefully this will be resolved soon! I could not imagine that happening to me! I'd almost be camped outside her door waiting for her to get home, or have a sheriff do the same and serve official papers. That is just wrong in all ways!Fingers crossed that we'll see good news from you soon!

1. What is an NSF check from a host?

An NSF check from a host is a type of check that has been returned by the bank due to insufficient funds in the account of the person or company who wrote the check. This can also be referred to as a bounced check.

2. Why did I receive an NSF check from a host?

You likely received an NSF check from a host because the check that was written to you was not able to be processed by the bank due to a lack of funds in the account of the person or company who wrote the check.

3. What should I do if I receive an NSF check from a host?

If you receive an NSF check from a host, you should contact the person or company who wrote the check and try to resolve the issue. You can also contact your bank to see if they have any additional information or if they can assist in resolving the issue.

4. Is there a fee associated with an NSF check from a host?

Yes, there is typically a fee associated with an NSF check from a host. This fee can vary depending on the bank and the amount of the check. The fee is usually deducted from the amount of the check when it is returned.

5. How can I avoid receiving an NSF check from a host?

To avoid receiving an NSF check from a host, it is important to ensure that you have enough funds in your account before writing a check. You can also set up alerts with your bank to notify you if your account balance falls below a certain amount. It is also a good idea to keep track of your expenses to avoid overspending.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • dannyzmom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
chefann
  • flemings99