• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should I Do About a Guest's Bounced Check and Low Sales at My Party?

In summary, the guest wrote a check that bounced, and the host is unable to get the money from the guest. The host may send a letter to the guest, or may try to get the money from the guest directly.
PamperedPrincess74
A few weeks ago, I did a show (turned out to be horrible) for a girl that my husband works with. One of her guests, I'll call her DEE (not her real name) placed an order that amounted to 57.30 and also booked a show, which I had this past Saturday (also turned out to be horrible). Dee's show only amounted to sales of $137 so unless she turns in some outside orders, it won't even qualify as a show. That's not the main problem - the check she wrote for the items she purchased at the first show was returned to me because she had insufficient funds in her account.

I'm not sure how to handle this. I left her a very polite and understanding message regarding the bounced check two days ago. I haven't heard from her and she was supposed to call me yesterday to close out her show (she only wanted to keep it open for an extra day or so). Should I send her a letter?

I too had this problem!My host works with my hubby and expressed an interest in being a consultant. She closed out her show and used her FPV for her kit. Then the check her boyfriend wrote to me bounced. I called her and explained and finally got paid the money I was out. The check was $51 and my bank charged me $8 for returning the check. Well, needless to say I didn't have the money to cover it, so my bank ended up paying 5 checks that I had wrote and charged me $170 in NSF fees and $7 for my account being in the red. I calmly explained this to my now recruit and have now been paid.

I don't think that I handled this as professionally as I should have, but felt that it could be handled face to face since she was now my recruit and a friend. Anyhow, I would write a letter to the lady and explain what has happened and tell her how much it will cost to fix the problem. This way you have a written record of the returned check notice, include a photocopy of the returned check with your letter. Call your county attorney and ask how to handle this. She is liable for the check and any fees that you incurred due to her returned check.

if you do send a letter, send it certified return reciept requested this way you have proof that she recieved the letter

this is how I handle it nowIn order to avoid bounced checks, I have the guests make the check out to the host! I don't have them put it in my name because it is possible that it would bounce and I do't know them from Adam to chase them down, etc. At least the host would know them and could possble get with them better than me. I have had a problem with getting the money from the host, but I don't 'close/transmit' the show until I have the check in my hand that pays for the whole show. I do lay the guilt trip on them that their guests I know would like to have their products so we really do need to close this show quickly.

Bounced checksI know we have all had them!! But, I wanted to comment on the idea of having your host write you one large check for the whole show. I do not do this, because I had a host who bounced her check of $1200!! So, I would rather have one check that is $50 bounce than a check for the whole show!

Another thing I do- if the check bounces and that person hasn't got their products, I have the host give me those products until I get the payment. I also have the host help me to get payment from the person who bounced a check.

You're darned if you do, and darned if you don't.I have had this happen both ways. I have had about 10 checks bounce from guests in 5 years. I have had hosts write one check so I did not have to deal with that, guess what? I have had two of those bounce because of guests check bouncing. I have had three that bounced because the hosts did not have their money and one bounced because the host took off with all the money. It was only for $1300 plus.
So...
One other thing, never trust your host to help you find a guest with a bad check or credit card. Why? Because you never know what that relationship is.
I had a bad credit card come through on a show and because, being new it never dawned on me, I never got the guest phone number, I had to call the host. The next thing I know, I am finding out that the host spread it all over town that this guest was broke and trying to swindle me out of money. Her credit cards were no good! Can you just imagine the panic if it had been a check and the merchants in town had been accepting checks from her!
Some people really are not nice in the least.

Last edited:
I don't really like to ask a host to collect the $ and then write a check to me but I might start doing that. I also may start NOT submitting shows until every check associated with it clears, but that may mess ME up as far as trying to meet sales goals and stuff.

I did just send her an email about the rest of the show that needs to be closed (she still owes for that) and I included the information about the bounced check. I can't submit her show until I receive the rest of her orders and payments anyway, so I am hoping she'll just include the $ from the returned check with all of that. I don't really want this to turn into a big thing, but as of now, she received her items from that first show and she hasn't, technically, paid for them. By the time I received the returned check from my bank, the host had already given her the stuff (Pamp. Chef was shipping really quickly back then!)

Bounced ChecksI haven't had any problems (yet) with bounced checks. I have the guests make the check payable to me. Then the next morning I go to their banks (which is on the checks) and cash them. That way I know off hand whether they have the money in their account or not. All you have to do is show them your drivers license to cash the check. Then go and deposit the cash in your account.
If it is an out-of-state check I have them pay by cash or credit card. If they can't do that then I tell them to make the check payable to the host and have the host pay me that same night.

The thing that really bugs me most about this is that both shows that are associated with this person have been crappy and at this point, have COST me money. The check was returned to me on October 14. This means that, I'm sure, by NOW her bank has notified her that her check didn't clear so she's aware that she bounced the check and has done nothing to clear it up. She made me go to her, which is uncomfortable for me. If I bounced a check to someone, I would go to that person RIGHT AWAY and make up for it. It's not a huge amount of money, but that's not the point.

What are the top 5 Pampered Chef products for "Not Sure How to Handle This"?

The top 5 Pampered Chef products for "Not Sure How to Handle This" are the Quick Cooker, Food Chopper, Flexible Cutting Mats, Mix 'N Chop, and the Garlic Press.

How can I get ideas and inspiration for using Pampered Chef products for "Not Sure How to Handle This"?

You can visit our website for recipe ideas or join our online community for tips and tricks from other Pampered Chef users. You can also attend our cooking classes or parties for hands-on demonstrations and recipe inspiration.

Are there any special techniques or tips for using Pampered Chef products with "Not Sure How to Handle This"?

Yes, we have specific techniques and tips for using our products with "Not Sure How to Handle This". For example, our Quick Cooker has a preset function for cooking rice and grains, and our Food Chopper has interchangeable blades for different types of chopping.

Can I find "Not Sure How to Handle This" recipes on the Pampered Chef website?

Yes, you can find a variety of "Not Sure How to Handle This" recipes on our website under the "Recipes" section. You can also filter by specific Pampered Chef products to find recipes that are perfect for your needs.

Is there a warranty for Pampered Chef products used for "Not Sure How to Handle This"?

Yes, all Pampered Chef products come with a limited lifetime warranty. If you encounter any issues with your product, please contact our customer service for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • jenniferm
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • adauw