• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rules for Lunch & Break Time: Is It Mandated for 9-5 Jobs?

In summary, federal laws do not have specific requirements for lunch and break times for 9-5 jobs. Employers are not required to pay for meal breaks, but they can choose to do so. Employers can also set specific lunch and break times for their employees, as long as it does not violate any state or local laws. Employees have the right to waive their meal breaks, but employers must still provide a reasonable amount of time for them to eat and rest during their workday. Failure to comply with state or local laws regarding lunch and break times can result in penalties for employers.
cookn' katie
Any HR people out there??? I have a non-PC question. What is the laws/rules reguarding lunches and breaks in a real 9-5 job? My present employer keeps taking away all of our benefits. We are now told that we aren't allowed the 2~15 minute breaks a day. I thought with an 8 hour work day that it was manditory. Is there anywhere I can find it in writing right now? Katie:mad:

Check with your state's department of labor. Each state has different guidelines.

There's no federal requirement -- 8 states require some sort of rest period, but not Iowa, apparently.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/rest.htm#Iowa

19 states require a minimum meal period after a certain length of time, but again - not Iowa.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/meal.htm

Last edited:
Boy, you are quick! It sticks for me!! I want to do PC full time and quit my other part time job. They just keep taking everything way from me. I found out 2 weeks ago, they are taking my health, dental, vision, disability, life away!! I work for a group of doctors that easily make over 400K a year. I hate it!! Thanks again!! Katie

I know when I worked 8-5 we got an hour lunch, non paid and 2 15 minute breaks. Most of the time we didn't take our 15 minute breaks, but they did offer them to us. You should at least get a lunch. If you don't, that may be an issue for osha.

1. What are the federal laws regarding lunch and break times for 9-5 jobs?

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), employers are required to provide a meal break of at least 30 minutes for employees who work 8 or more consecutive hours. However, this law does not mandate any specific break time requirements for employees who work 9-5 jobs.

2. Are employers required to pay for lunch and break time for 9-5 jobs?

The FLSA does not require employers to pay for meal breaks, as long as the employee is completely relieved from their work duties during that time. However, employers may choose to pay for meal breaks as part of their company policy or collective bargaining agreement.

3. Can an employer mandate specific lunch and break times for 9-5 jobs?

Yes, employers have the right to set specific lunch and break times for their employees as long as it does not conflict with any state or local laws. However, employees must be given a reasonable amount of time to eat and rest during their lunch and break periods.

4. Can employees choose to waive their lunch or break time for 9-5 jobs?

Yes, in some states, employees have the right to waive their meal breaks if they choose to do so. However, employers must still provide a reasonable amount of time for employees to eat and rest during their workday.

5. Are there any penalties for employers who do not provide lunch or break times for 9-5 jobs?

If an employer fails to provide meal breaks as required by state or local laws, they may face penalties such as paying additional wages or facing legal action from employees. It is important for employers to be aware of and comply with all applicable laws regarding lunch and break times for their employees.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • chefmoseley
  • General Chat