• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Non Stick Cookware Safe to Use?

In summary, the fumes from nonstick cookware can be harmful to birds if they are cooked on high heat. Additionally, using a spritz of oil while cooking can help mitigate the potential for over heating.
schel
I have a question. I know everyone has their favorite, either non stick or stainless cookware. I recently watched Dr.Oz and he talked about harmful gasses if you heat up non stick cookware without food in it that the smoke that comes from the pan is harmful. (Like if you have birds, you should never cook with non stick because the birds can die.)

So input is welome! Please share your comments and knowlege with me.
Thanks, just the paranoid part coming out in me.

Schel

From the little I know, non stick fumes become toxic when it is heated to *high* temps, which is why PC recommends using in oven to only 400 degrees vs. the SS ability of over 500 degrees. It's also recommended you cook with a med high heat on the stove top. That being said, it is only dangerous with high heat. PC includes the following in it's use and care card:

Oven Use: Skillet is oven-safe to 400°F/200°C. Caution: Always use a heat-resistant oven mitt or pad when handling a hot pan or placing on surfaces.

Broiler: Never place under the broiler.

Fumes: Do not overheat your nonstick pan as smoke or fumes from burning foods, oils and the nonstick itself can be hazardous to the respiratory systems of pet birds.

Last edited:
It also depends on the coating they use. Ours is fine. People should simply use them according to directions.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
the SS ability of over 600 degrees.

You probably just slipped when typing. . .but that should read 500 degrees not 600.

Last edited:
LOL Jeanine, glad you caught that....thanks! Going back to fix!

If you put something in the pan, like a spritz of oil, while it's heating, that will help mitigate the overheating. If it's filled with water, the water has a significant enough thermal mass that it will keep the nonstick coating from overheating - at least until the water boils away. If you use a spritz of oil, it will start to smoke before the coating starts to break down, alerting you to the situation. Because of the issue with the fumes, nonstick pans should NEVER be used on high heat on the stove. Use med-high at most.I have birds in my house, and I'd never risk their health by using a product I didn't trust. But by taking the precautions above, as well as not having the birds in the kitchen when cooking is happening (which is dangerous for many more reasons than just the possibility of PTFE fumes).

chefann said:
If you put something in the pan, like a spritz of oil, while it's heating, that will help mitigate the overheating. If it's filled with water, the water has a significant enough thermal mass that it will keep the nonstick coating from overheating - at least until the water boils away. If you use a spritz of oil, it will start to smoke before the coating starts to break down, alerting you to the situation.

Because of the issue with the fumes, nonstick pans should NEVER be used on high heat on the stove. Use med-high at most.

I have birds in my house, and I'd never risk their health by using a product I didn't trust. But by taking the precautions above, as well as not having the birds in the kitchen when cooking is happening (which is dangerous for many more reasons than just the possibility of PTFE fumes).

Thanks so much for this answer.
Schel

Thanks for all your answers. I am doing this already with my cookware, I just did not know how to answer these questions at my shows when I get a complaint about non stick being unsafe to cook in.
Thanks again.
Schel

What is the difference between non-stick and stainless steel cookware?

Non-stick cookware has a special coating that prevents food from sticking to the surface, making it easier to clean and requiring less oil for cooking. Stainless steel cookware does not have a non-stick coating and is known for its durability and ability to evenly distribute heat.

Which type of cookware is better for health?

Both non-stick and stainless steel cookware are safe for cooking. However, if the non-stick coating is scratched or damaged, it can release toxic fumes. Stainless steel cookware does not have this risk, making it a better option for those concerned about their health.

Can I use metal utensils on non-stick cookware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on non-stick cookware as they can scratch and damage the coating. It is best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils to preserve the non-stick surface.

How do I clean non-stick and stainless steel cookware?

Non-stick cookware should be hand-washed with a non-abrasive sponge and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the non-stick coating. Stainless steel cookware can be cleaned with soap and water or can be placed in the dishwasher.

Which type of cookware is more versatile?

This depends on personal preference and cooking needs. Non-stick cookware is great for cooking delicate foods like eggs and pancakes, while stainless steel cookware is better for searing and browning meats. It is recommended to have a mix of both types of cookware for a well-rounded kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • Inomiamenda
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • crissy11