• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Healthy Tilapia Recipes for Spice Lovers!

In summary, the author is looking for recipes that she and her husband can try to enjoy without all the butter and cheese. She is also looking for recipes that use milder fish.
ChefPaulaB
I am trying to eat healthier and I know that fish is good for you but the only way that DH and I like it normally is fried (I know, horrible!), so I'm looking for recipes that we could maybe try to learn to like the healthier versions. I'm looking to try the milder type fish like Tilapia. I had Tilapia at Ruby Tuesdays once that was baked or broiled (can't remember) that I really liked but it had like a cajun or spicey sauce on it so it kind of masked the fish taste. So, I'm looking for recipes like that only not too much butter or cheese (trying to stay healthy here)... love spicey though. TIA for anyone that might have a good recipe to share!

Ha, just went to the Ruby Tuesday menu to see if I could find the fish that I liked and this is it. No wonder I liked it, "rich Parmesan Cream Sauce"! 26 grams of fat!!! NO, that doesn't sound fattening!! Right! Maybe I can come up with a lower fat version!New Orleans Seafood
Spicy, broiled tilapia topped with sautéed shrimp and rich Parmesan cream sauce. With fresh, steamed broccoli and brown-rice pilaf.

Last edited:
We bread ours in Panko crumbs seasoned up (flour, egg, crumbs) and bake them in the oven. One of the boxes had a great cucumber/red bell pepper recipe on the side.

We usually season our fish (mahi Mahi is our preferred) with some Fresh Pressed Garlic, Dill sprinkled, and little bit of butter on top. Bake it for I think about 15-20 minutes around 350 (not sure- DH does it usually)- but you cook till it's done (flakes easily with a fork).The other thing we do- especially for our kids, is make our own "Fried" fish by baking it in the oven. We just bread the fish ourselves with breadcrumbs seasoned the way you might like...and bread (first dredge in flour, then egg, and then the breadcrumbs) - bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until done. Again- I don't know for sure the cook times- but usually fish doesn't take long to cook. If it flakes easily with a fork, it's done...at least the whitefish we cook. :DYou may have to experiment a bit to get the right seasonings. And you can check sites like Recipezaar.com or other recipe sites.

I've been making Tilapia in the DCB and it's really yummy! Do you have Safeway there? I buy a pack of their frozen fillets (a lot cheaper). It works with frozen fillets or thawed ones. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper & PC citrus & basil Rub. Put in DCB and microwave for about 10 - 15 mins! When the fish flakes apart, it's done. I cut up fresh lemon wedges, have tartar sauce available and serve with veggies & either rice or cous cous. I worked hard at getting my family to eat more healthier fish recipes this year & now my 10 year old requests this! :) Scottcooks also posted a Halibut recipe that sounds really good too. It uses sour cream and mayo, but you could easily do it lo cal ... my husband is trying to lose weight right now, so that is what I am going to do. :)

If you don't have Tartar sauce on hand (or can't use it fast enough, as is our case)- it's easy to make your own. Just mix together some mayo and sweet pickle relish. Usually about 2 parts mayo to a little less than 1 part relish - is what I do. Tastes just like the premade stuff (we used to do this when we ran out of tartar sauce when I worked at my college cafeteria).I like Dottie's recipe- might have to try that one too!

This is one of our very favorite baked fish recipes....I used it extensively when I was a Personal Chef, and also when I was doing my own version of Power Cooking shows....it freezes well too.You can use this for any milder fish - I've used it with Whitefish, Cod, Tilapia, Flounder, Catfish...and I also usually don't use the butter - only if I'm making it to freeze.Whitefish Baked Scampi – serves 4
1 ½ - 2 lbs Whitefish Fillets
1 Tablespoon butter – softened
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white wine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 ounce parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley, mincedSqueeze lemon juice. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine lemon juice, wine, pressed garlic, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes. With ½ of butter, coat bottom of freezer container or baking dish and place whitefish on top. Pour lemon mixture over top of fish. Dot remaining butter over fish, grate cheese over top, and sprinkle with parsley. If freezing, cover fish and place in freezer. May be baked from frozen. Preheat oven to 350◦, and place fish, uncovered, in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish flakes when pricked with a fork. If baking immediately, bake for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on thickness of filets)

Tilapia is great to make fish tacos out of. You can season and bake the fish however you want. I like our Crushed Peppercorn and Garlic rub. I spritz with the Garlic infused oil then sprinkle some seasoning on top and bake it (I usually buy the fish frozen) for 15-20 minutes (I'm not sure on the time). The best thing about the fish tacos is you decide what you want to top them. My kids add Ranch dressing (that goes with just about everything if you ask them). We normally top ours with Pico De Gallo, lettuce, cheddar cheese. If you want to really save on calories, carbs and fat you could use Corn tortillas instead of flour. For me it takes a bit of getting used to, I just LOVE flour tortillas!!

Wow! Thanks Ladies!!! I'm off to buy some fish so I can start trying out some of these recipes! Hopefully I can convince my family that they love fish! I'm thinking maybe the new Creole rub might be good too (haven't tried that on anything yet)... might have to give that a try! Thanks for all of the great recipes!!!

Have you tried yellowfin or ahi tuna? That is by far my favorite fish. You wouldn't think it would be a mild taste because of the taste of tuna in a can, but it's FANTASTIC! And, the texture is more like MEAT. We rub ours with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then, we grill it. I have a recipe here that I'll try to find that's my favorite way to have it. We grill the fish then make a "salad" to go on top of it that's made from grilled onions, peas, corn and avocados. It's one of my favorite meals, but more importantly it's one of my non-fish-loving husband's and my picky kids' favorite meals too! Trader Joe's has great prices on frozen fish -- especially the tuna, halibut and salmon -- way better than supermarket. And, those fish hav high levels of the omega-3's in them!

Oh, and Dottie, thanks for posting the dcb recipe! I'll be making that one soon! Yummy!

janezapchef said:
Have you tried yellowfin or ahi tuna? That is by far my favorite fish. You wouldn't think it would be a mild taste because of the taste of tuna in a can, but it's FANTASTIC! And, the texture is more like MEAT. We rub ours with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then, we grill it. I have a recipe here that I'll try to find that's my favorite way to have it. We grill the fish then make a "salad" to go on top of it that's made from grilled onions, peas, corn and avocados. It's one of my favorite meals, but more importantly it's one of my non-fish-loving husband's and my picky kids' favorite meals too! Trader Joe's has great prices on frozen fish -- especially the tuna, halibut and salmon -- way better than supermarket. And, those fish hav high levels of the omega-3's in them!

I can honestly say that I've never tried tuna other than the canned. I'll have to give it a try! I always loved the way that Mahi Mahi sounds (the name) it sounds so tropical but I've never tried that either. I haven't been very adventurous in my fish tasting life. I'll have to work on that! Thank you!

ChefPaulaB said:
I can honestly say that I've never tried tuna other than the canned. I'll have to give it a try! I always loved the way that Mahi Mahi sounds (the name) it sounds so tropical but I've never tried that either. I haven't been very adventurous in my fish tasting life. I'll have to work on that! Thank you!

I love Tuna, and MahiMahi - and I don't like "fishy" tasting fish at all!

Jane is right - these are meatier fish, and I think that makes them better for marinading and grilling.

I was going to suggest tuna steaks as well - love them! I sear it on the stove top them finish in the oven. Try the spicy pineapple rum sauce on it - yum!

1. What kind of spices are used in these tilapia recipes?

The "Healthy Tilapia Recipes for Spice Lovers!" feature a variety of spices such as chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. These spices add flavor without adding extra calories or fat.

2. Are these recipes suitable for those on a low-sodium diet?

Yes, these tilapia recipes can be easily modified to be low in sodium. Simply omit or reduce the amount of salt and use salt-free spices or herbs instead.

3. How do I know when the tilapia is fully cooked?

The best way to determine if the tilapia is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 145°F. Another way is to check if the fish flakes easily with a fork.

4. Can I use frozen tilapia for these recipes?

Yes, you can use frozen tilapia for these recipes. Just make sure to thaw it completely before cooking and pat it dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.

5. Can I use other types of fish for these recipes?

While these recipes were specifically designed for tilapia, you can definitely use other types of white fish such as cod, halibut, or mahi-mahi. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly depending on the thickness of the fish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • jcsmilez