• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Non Absorbent Micro Fiber Towels

I found it at Bed Bath & Beyond. :)For regular softening, yes. Like Becky said though, if it's in your MF towels, you will need to do it in wash (with detergent) and rinse.I buy my rags from "Solutions" and that's where I got my refresh solution. But, now I can't seem to locate it there.Bed Bath & Beyond has it too. :)
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
OK, I've heard everyone go on and on about how absorbent the microfiber towels are but have yet to see this one.

Yesterday I washed a plate and grabbed a fresh microfiber towel out of the drawer. It did NO GOOD. I ended up putting the plate away wet!

When we let dishes air dry and set them on it, the water beads up on the top.

I remember my mom used to say fabric softener sheets blocked the absorbency of dish towels. I thought it was an old wives tale until now.

Any ideas how I can get the absorbency back in my towels?

Wash them with white vinegar in both the wash and rinse cycle...and then don't ever use a dryer sheet with them again! I don't use fabric softener of any kind with any of my towels.(I use white vinegar as the fabric softener. Works great, and no, nothing smells like vinegar.) It's not an old wives tale. ;)

Ya know...I have that problem too, and didn't even THINK about the Fabric Softener that I use. Sometimes I remember to not use them- but I didn't realize it was a rule overall.Thanks for bringing that up!

ChefBeckyD said:
Wash them with white vinegar in both the wash and rinse cycle...and then don't ever use a dryer sheet with them again! I don't use fabric softener of any kind with any of my towels.(I use white vinegar as the fabric softener. Works great, and no, nothing smells like vinegar.) It's not an old wives tale. ;)

I agree! Don't use the fabric softner on them! I don't use them on my towels very often, but I go so far as to pull them out of the wash and just let them air dry, it doesn't take long for them to dry at all, then I don't have to worry about "not" remembering!

I LOVE our towels!!!

If you've been using fabric softeners for a while now, you may need to run the towels through several HOT cycles with vinegar before they'll get back to being as absorbent as they used to be. I use vinegar as my fabric softener in all my washes, I use it to wash my floors, to clean my counter tops and sinks...love it!

Never ever heard of vinegar as fabric softener. How much do you use? I always use the downy ball in my laundry with softener but want something for towels as i hate scratchy towels.

Melissa78 said:
Never ever heard of vinegar as fabric softener. How much do you use? I always use the downy ball in my laundry with softener but want something for towels as i hate scratchy towels.

My machine will only take a small bit anyway ( it has a "max" line)- but it's probably 1-2 Tbsp at most for mine? (front-loader)

I've seen it said to use 1/2 cup. I'd say 1/4-1/2 cup - just depends on your machine too. If like mine, you may only be able to put in so much.

:)

We use those 'dryer ball's. They work great. Put two in the dryer and they bump out the wrinkles and make everything soft! Worth the 9.99 I paid for them two years ago...they are still going strong!

esavvymom said:
My machine will only take a small bit anyway ( it has a "max" line)- but it's probably 1-2 Tbsp at most for mine? (front-loader)

I've seen it said to use 1/2 cup. I'd say 1/4-1/2 cup - just depends on your machine too. If like mine, you may only be able to put in so much.

:)

I have a front loader too. Do you put it in the softener cup?

BethCooks4U said:
I have a front loader too. Do you put it in the softener cup?

For regular softening, yes. Like Becky said though, if it's in your MF towels, you will need to do it in wash (with detergent) and rinse.

There is actually a microfiber "refresh" product available. I have used MF cloths for years and eventually (even without doing anything wrong) they start to lose their effectiveness. So, I had bought a "refresh" cleaning product to launder the MF rags in. It has worked nicely.

I buy my rags from "Solutions" and that's where I got my refresh solution. But, now I can't seem to locate it there.

Just found this:
"Every once in a while, or if they are stained, boil in plain water for 10 minutes. The boiling water will relax the fibers to refresh their ability to absorb, and will release much of the stain."

Searched and found this:
http://fullerproductsonline.com/stanley-home-products/stanley-home-care/laundry/renew-microfiber-detergent/

This is the type of product I was talking about. There may be something like this cheaper or available at a local store (Bed Bath & Beyond type maybe?).
Good Luck!

I'm almost sure its says right on the use & care, Do Not use fabric softner....

Oh, and when laundering the MF rags, I wash them separately. Back when I used to use softener in my regular laundry, I was always afraid of using it accidently on the MF rags, so I set up a small basket especially for MF rags that need to be washed. Then I would just wash all my MF together in one load. No worries about using Fabric softener on the rags!

And, yes, vinegar is supposed to be a natural fabric softener. It is also supposed to help remove pet hair from the fabric (don't know if that is true or not), but that is what I have heard.

Ginger428 said:
I'm almost sure its says right on the use & care, Do Not use fabric softner....

I think it does....but it's 2nd nature to just toss everything in ONE basket, then grab the load and stuff it in the machine, add your "stuff" and go. I don't pick them out piece by piece (other than colors vs whites). I do typically wash my kitchen towels together, so I should just stop using FS on them ALL.

I have learned so much from this thread! Thanks!!

Melissa78 said:

For regular softening, I use the Downy Ball too - I just fill it up to the fill line with vinegar instead of fabric softener. I love using vinegar for fabric softener...and like Carolyn, I use it for cleaning a lot of other stuff too. Vinegar is the wonder household product! (And CHEAP! I get a huge jug of it at Costco for $2.99)

ChefBeckyD said:
For regular softening, I use the Downy Ball too - I just fill it up to the fill line with vinegar instead of fabric softener. I love using vinegar for fabric softener...and like Carolyn, I use it for cleaning a lot of other stuff too. Vinegar is the wonder household product! (And CHEAP! I get a huge jug of it at Costco for $2.99)

THANKS! I'm going to Sams Club this week - I'll grab some there!

Thanks.Roomie is allergic to scented laundry products. I LOVE them so we do our laundry separately and it's hit or miss who washes the towels.I used to use liquid fabric softener in my dispenser cup. I got sick of the towels clinging to my clothes. So I switched to those Purex sheets that go from washer to dryer. I'll alert Roomie to pull them from the dryer should they not get washed separately by me first.

Like Becky and Carolyn I have not used fabric softener in years. I only use vinegar and dryer balls. They work great, I have no residue ind your clothes will actually wear better and last longer.

I use vinegar as FS too. It also helps get that nasty rag smell out of the dish rags too!

vinegar is just SO much cheaper, and very versatile in many other ways. Which reminds me, I think I'm out! ;)

Are we talking about regular white vineager?? When using it to clean around the house, do you just pour it onto your rag and wipe things down??? I've never known this trick about vineager and am excited to give it a try...

tinawhite07 said:
Are we talking about regular white vineager?? When using it to clean around the house, do you just pour it onto your rag and wipe things down??? I've never known this trick about vineager and am excited to give it a try...

Google it....there are tons of information sites about it. USUALLY you are diluting it some, depending on the application- like in a spray bottle with water, etc. (I'd gag if I did 100%!) And yes, it's regular white vinegar.

There are "recipes" for various household product cleaners you'd be using. As a fabric softener, you are pouring it straight as is, but it's getting diluted by the washing machine.

esavvymom said:
Google it....there are tons of information sites about it. USUALLY you are diluting it some, depending on the application- like in a spray bottle with water, etc. (I'd gag if I did 100%!) And yes, it's regular white vinegar.

There are "recipes" for various household product cleaners you'd be using. As a fabric softener, you are pouring it straight as is, but it's getting diluted by the washing machine.

Thanks so much.....cool new info, you really do learn something new everyday :)

kam said:
And, yes, vinegar is supposed to be a natural fabric softener. It is also supposed to help remove pet hair from the fabric (don't know if that is true or not), but that is what I have heard.

I have 5 pets in my home, so I'm going to try this and let you know! I have one of those Bounce bars in my dryer, so it's kind of hard not to use fabric softener. As soon as it's gone, I'm going to try the vinegar. I'm very excited to see for myself. I know how inexpensive vinegar is, so I'm even more excited about saving money in the process!

I stopped buying fabric softener a few years ago. I only use vinegar and I use it for everything! I also make my own laundry detergent occasionally. By the way stay clear of "Free and Clear" detergents. They put a weird film of something on your clothes. They are not free and clear of chemicals...

As for the amount of vinegar, I fill to the fill line in my front loader (prob 1/4 cup).

Dotty said:
I stopped buying fabric softener a few years ago. I only use vinegar and I use it for everything! I also make my own laundry detergent occasionally. By the way stay clear of "Free and Clear" detergents. They put a weird film of something on your clothes. They are not free and clear of chemicals...

As for the amount of vinegar, I fill to the fill line in my front loader (prob 1/4 cup).

Can you share the recipe you use to make your own detergent?

Here is an interesting article and 'recipe' for homemade laundry detergent! I am SO totally going to try this!http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

I've been doing my own laundry soap for a bit over a year now. It works great (and I live on a farm with two very dirty boys) and I use it in the HE washer. When you start using it, less is more when it comes to clean. I don't use the standard recipe that you find online. I make the liquid and also use some different techniques. Once you get it figured out, it's easy to do!

We never ever ever use fabric softener in our house. That stuff is really bad for you! Vinegar works great! Just never use vinegar and bleach together!As for MF towels - don't wash them with other towels either...that will "clog" the MF. Because MF picks up everything, it will grab fibers from your other towels and they won't work as well.

heather223 said:
Can you share the recipe you use to make your own detergent?

I use the recipe someone else posted (Simple Dollar) with a small modification.

Finely grate one bar of Fells Naptha laundry soap (in the laundry isle)
Add 1 cup washing Soda
Add 1/2 cup Borax

mix well and store in air tight container

No need to do all the liquifying.. too much trouble and it works fine in all the cycles for me.

I use 1/6 of a cup with each load plus a 1/6 cup of oxyclean for my HE front loader. I use a scoop that came with one of those small cans of oxyclean. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup will do for a top loader.

I started doing this because I use cloth diapers and most detergents other than Tide regular Powder leave a film or don't clean the diapers well. Using either that specific Tide or my homemade soap work very well. The diapers I've used for 2 years on my first and am now using on my 2nd child are still very white and clean.

Dotty said:

Add 1 cup washing Soda
Add 1/2 cup Borax

No need to do all the liquifying.. too much trouble and it works fine in all the cycles for me.

I use 1/6 of a cup with each load plus a 1/6 cup of oxyclean for my HE front loader. I use a scoop that came with one of those small cans of oxyclean. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup will do for a top loader.

I started doing this because I use cloth diapers and most detergents other than Tide regular Powder leave a film or don't clean the diapers well. Using either that specific Tide or my homemade soap work very well. The diapers I've used for 2 years on my first and am now using on my 2nd child are still very white and clean.

Thank you! Going to try this! :chef:

Dotty said:

Add 1 cup washing Soda
Add 1/2 cup Borax

Mine is similar to Dotty's - except that I have a 2 gallon Cambro bucket that I use, and I use the whole box of Borax, a whole box of Washing Soda, and then I use a 3 pack of Kirk's Castile Soap (grated) and 1 bar of Mrs. Meyer's Bar Soap - Basil scent. I LOVE the smell of that, and one bar is enough to give my laundry soap a beautifully clean smell without a bunch of chemicals and irritants.

I grate all of the soap with the grater attachment on my Kitchenaid Mixer, and then dump it in the Cambro bucket with the full boxes of powders, and put the lid on and shake it up until it's all mixed together.

I used to do the liquid, but this is SO much quicker and easier, and way less messy - and it works great!

ChefCKHall said:
We use those 'dryer ball's. They work great. Put two in the dryer and they bump out the wrinkles and make everything soft! Worth the 9.99 I paid for them two years ago...they are still going strong!

I use those too!

:) Along with the vinegar, I only use the occasional dryer sheet. Usually I only need a dryer sheet in the dead of winter, when the static is just so high nothing kills it but a dryer sheet. Now, I just need a home recipe for that! :)

Thanks for sharing your recipes. But I have a dumb question: What the heck is washing soda and where do I find it or is there a brand name or something? Thanks!

chefa said:
Thanks for sharing your recipes. But I have a dumb question: What the heck is washing soda and where do I find it or is there a brand name or something? Thanks!

The stuff I buy is by Arm and Hammer- it's "Super Washing Soda" (NOT Baking Soda). You'll find it in the Laundry supply aisles. In my stores, it's typically on the bottom shelf or top. You'll find it around the stain sticks, etc... Often times, it's near Borax and such.

I use it to make my own laundry soap, but it has lots of other uses too.
images

All of the components I mentioned can be found in the laundry isle - Oxyclean, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Fells Naptha laundry soap, Borax (usually 20 Mule Team Borax). By the way, I found out that Borax works wonders in cleaning my humidifier. I have hard water and it is a real pain to clean my humidifier after the winter.

So since we're talking laundry...How do you get white undershirts to stay white. My husband sweats and gets yellow marks on his really bad around the neck and armpit areas. On his work shirts, for the "ring around the collar" I use Shout, but it doesn't get everything and it doesn't seem to work on the white cotton undershirts. I tried bleaching once and that just made the whole shirt a dingy white/yellow/grey color. :(

babywings76 said:
So since we're talking laundry...

How do you get white undershirts to stay white. My husband sweats and gets yellow marks on his really bad around the neck and armpit areas. On his work shirts, for the "ring around the collar" I use Shout, but it doesn't get everything and it doesn't seem to work on the white cotton undershirts. I tried bleaching once and that just made the whole shirt a dingy white/yellow/grey color. :(

Being a 'green' sort of girl i'm really grooving on all these homemade laudry ideas..

But I NEED the answer to the above!! I have the same sweaty hubby lol:rolleyes: patiently waiting!

deanna

Dotty said:
All of the components I mentioned can be found in the laundry isle - Oxyclean, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Fells Naptha laundry soap, Borax (usually 20 Mule Team Borax). By the way, I found out that Borax works wonders in cleaning my humidifier. I have hard water and it is a real pain to clean my humidifier after the winter.
Our stores carry of those things now too- including the Fels Naptha bar soap that I use. But not always....used to, I could find it at my local ACE Hardware stores. It varies from store to store. (Walmart is where I consistently seem to be able to find it all.)Can 't really help with the whites question though.

Since I use my m.t. to dust and clean mirrors also, I wash them with
the perma press, not the towels. They won't be lint free if you wash with towels. They are also great on the swiffer!!:thumbup:

1. Why are microfiber towels considered non-absorbent?

Microfiber towels are made up of tiny fibers that are tightly woven together, creating a dense and absorbent fabric. Unlike traditional cotton towels, microfiber towels have a greater surface area, allowing them to quickly and efficiently absorb water without leaving any streaks or residue behind.

2. How do I properly use a non-absorbent microfiber towel?

To get the best results from your microfiber towel, it is important to dampen it before use. This will activate the fibers and make them more absorbent. When using a microfiber towel for drying dishes, make sure to wring out any excess water before use. This will ensure the towel is able to absorb the water from the dishes effectively.

3. Can fabric softener sheets affect the absorbency of microfiber towels?

Yes, fabric softener sheets can coat the fibers of microfiber towels, making them less absorbent. It is best to avoid using fabric softener when washing microfiber towels and instead opt for a mild detergent. If you have already used fabric softener on your microfiber towels, you can restore their absorbency by washing them with hot water and a small amount of vinegar.

4. How do I maintain the absorbency of my microfiber towels?

To maintain the absorbency of your microfiber towels, it is important to properly care for them. This includes washing them separately from other fabrics, avoiding the use of fabric softener, and using a mild detergent. It is also recommended to air dry your microfiber towels instead of using a dryer, as high heat can damage the fibers and reduce their absorbency.

5. What should I do if my microfiber towels are no longer absorbing water?

If your microfiber towels are no longer absorbing water, it could be a sign that they need to be replaced. Over time and with regular use, the fibers in microfiber towels can become worn and less effective. However, before replacing them, you can try restoring their absorbency by washing them with hot water and vinegar or by using a microfiber revitalizer product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedGinger
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
MSmith
Replies
Views
KimmyDarling
  • KellyTheChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies