• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant No, Not Everything Has a Lifetime Guarantee

In summary, a customer called about a cracked micro cooker with a lifetime guarantee but was informed that only certain products have this guarantee. The prices have also changed. The customer became frustrated and decided to not make a purchase and be removed from the company's email list. The consultant shares a similar experience and expresses frustration with customers who do not understand the warranty system. The conversation also touches on a customer's mistaken belief that everything in the catalog has a lifetime guarantee, and the consultant's personal policy of not giving into complainers.
Becca_in_MD
Gold Member
"I have one of those great little micro cookers that I bought a few years ago. I know everything has a lifetime guarantee and it has a crack in it. I called the 800 # and all I got was a recording saying to find out more about the lifetime guarantee by reading my receipt. Well, I don't have my receipt. I just have a catalog from a few years ago. Has much changed?" Yes, the prices have changed.

Ah, no, not everything has a lifetime guarantee, just our cookware and some of our knives. The micro cooker has a 1 year guarantee.

Proceed to tally up a direct ship order 2 for micro cookers (I think she expected the micro cookers to still be $6). She balks at the total. Says it's one thing to pay the lower shipping charge when at a show but to pay $6.25 shipping is ridiculous. Do we have free shipping if you buy a certain amount? "no" pauses, then proceeds to tell me to forget about it, she can find something like it in a store and not pay shipping, this is something that should last forever. When asked if she wants to be on my e-mail list says "no, count me as an ex-PC customer."

Good luck finding a micro cooker in a store. I don't shop around in Target or WalMart for kitchen stuff but have not seen anything like a micro cooker out there in the marketplace. It's plastic and you expect it to last forever?

She is not the first person to tell me that everything from PC has a lifetime guarantee. Do these people only hear us mention lifetime guarantee when talking about those specific products and then think it applies to everything (you can just imagine those guests at your shows talking to their neighbors and only listening to every 5th thing you said) or are there inexperienced consultants out there who think everything really does have a lifetime guarantee and tell their guests this (I highly doubt this)?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Thanks, HO, for the leads. This one bad lemon did not spoil my great batch of HO lead online orders this month.

I've encountered similar people. I tell them it's a common mistake, that there are some products with lifetime warranty, but not all. I tell them that I'm not authorized to do returns. (This is true, though I can help if it's one of my customers.) I will give her (or him) a blank order form and explain that she'll need the name of the host and the state where the show was held when she calls.

lol....had a lady bring her vegetable peeler from 12 years ago to a show that had "some" rust on it. She wanted it replaced since it had a lifetime warranty. Seriously??????!!!!!!!!!

LOL, I know... it's funny how the majority of people out there think PC has a LIFE TIME guarantee ON EVERYTHING in the catalog!

I think they get PC confused with Tupperware.

I had one guest tell me at a show that she wanted me to replace her Food Chopper or she would ban everyone from buying anything at the show. When I asked how long she'd had it she wasn't sure but I did narrow down that it was more than 5 years ago (the warranty period). But I was nice and told her to bring it in so we could see if maybe it was a part we could just order through a replacement part order.

She brought it and it wasn't even a PC Food Chopper!! It had another brand name written on it! Then she proceeded to tell another guest that "They must have switched them in the boxes." Um HUH???

Anyway, as much of a pain as she was to me at that show, she went on to buy something AND book a show. She then held that show and it was over $500 with a booking from it, so in the end I guess she was worth the pain of that stupid Food Chopper.

TW doesn't have lifetime warranty on everything either. When people say that, I say...yes, plastic that simply HOLDS something is likely to last longer than something you USE. So many people hope that if they complain a little, you'll cave. I think I'm genetically encoded NOT to give more to complainers. I'll bend for the person who is super nice. Of course, I am nice to the complainers...just don't bend to their will :).

MLinAZ said:
I had one guest tell me at a show that she wanted me to replace her Food Chopper or she would ban everyone from buying anything at the show. When I asked how long she'd had it she wasn't sure but I did narrow down that it was more than 5 years ago (the warranty period). But I was nice and told her to bring it in so we could see if maybe it was a part we could just order through a replacement part order.

She brought it and it wasn't even a PC Food Chopper!! It had another brand name written on it! Then she proceeded to tell another guest that "They must have switched them in the boxes." Um HUH???

Anyway, as much of a pain as she was to me at that show, she went on to buy something AND book a show. She then held that show and it was over $500 with a booking from it, so in the end I guess she was worth the pain of that stupid Food Chopper.

Food Choppers from PC used to have the Zyliss brand name on them. ;) But if it did, it would have been probably a 20 year old chopper.

And what's even more ridiculous... at a show one time, an old consultant even told the gal next to her that PC had a "lifetime guarantee" on all of their products! WTH!?! :O

I had to correct my own Recruit "kindly" at one of her first Shows. I KNOW I taught her different and she claimed to have done ALL the online courses, so I am not sure where she got it. I just said, "Well our fabulous cookware and our Forged Cutlery have lifetime guarantees and so does our great Salad Chopper, but the other items vary in their warranty!"

When I'm at a show, I have the visual of the catalog in front of me and show them where the warranty info is in the little circle if they ask about it. Without that visual while on the phone with the cheapskate, I forgot about it. Typical for me - think of something to say AFTER the fact. I'm sure the catalog she had from a few years ago is from the show where she bought the micro cooker. I would have loved to point out to her all of the warranty info that was in writing right in front of her.

And how much do you want to bet that all she bought at that show was a micro cooker? Maybe with a veggie peeler?

Most people say "hey, I got a lot of good use out of that item but it's time to replace it" not "gimme a new one for free."

Guest told me the other day stoneware had a LT guarantee...but her receipt said 3 years. Boy, she didn't like that but I gave her a good discount on a new piece of stoneware!

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Trish - I'm with you. I'm willing to work with someone even if the company won't accept the return or it's past warranty. I start by seeing if they'll host b/c then I can cut them a great deal on a new item, but will even offer a discount just to be my customer. I don't feel too bad about the ones who don't even want that.

Do people gripe this much about guarantees and warranty on a product they purchase at Best BUy or something? Most HIGH_END Electronics only carry a 1-year guarantee! But you won't see them griping at the store or the company and expect them to do much about it.

The Salad Choppers do have a lifetime warranty

ChefBeckyD said:
Food Choppers from PC used to have the Zyliss brand name on them. ;) But if it did, it would have been probably a 20 year old chopper.

Heh, well, good to know on both accounts! So it WAS a PC Food Chopper, but certainly far too old to have replaced under warranty!

esavvymom said:
Do people gripe this much about guarantees and warranty on a product they purchase at Best BUy or something? Most HIGH_END Electronics only carry a 1-year guarantee! But you won't see them griping at the store or the company and expect them to do much about it.

Speaking from experience, yes they do. Or moreso, they complain about returns in general. When I worked at Michaels I had a customer bring in a die cut machine that she got a die stuck in and she demanded and I replace both the machine AND the die she got stuck. She put it in wrong, why was it my responsibility to take the loss? But I did...I replaced the machine, but I rescued the die (after smashing the machine to bits, but dang it, I was fighting for the principle LOL).

At least in retail people assume that companies get the money back for damaged items or returns, and that's not true. The company takes it as a loss and throws the item away.

It killed me every time I had to take back seasonal items that I hadn't sold in months...it's on the receipt that seasonal items are not returnable, but more often than not, customers got their way. I gave back the money and then tossed the merchandise in the compactor.

What does "No, Not Everything Has a Lifetime Guarantee" mean?

It means that not all products sold by Pampered Chef come with a lifetime guarantee. Some products may have a shorter warranty period or may not be covered at all.

Why doesn't everything have a lifetime guarantee?

Some products, such as consumables or items that are subject to wear and tear, cannot be guaranteed for a lifetime. Additionally, some products may be discontinued or no longer manufactured, making it impossible to offer a lifetime guarantee.

Which products come with a lifetime guarantee?

Products that come with a lifetime guarantee will be clearly labeled as such on our website and in our catalogs. These products have been tested and proven to have exceptional quality and durability, and we stand behind them with a lifetime guarantee.

What happens if my product doesn't have a lifetime guarantee?

If your product does not have a lifetime guarantee, it may still be covered under our standard warranty. Please refer to the product's packaging or manual for more information. If your product is not covered by a warranty, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Can I purchase a lifetime guarantee for my product?

Unfortunately, we do not offer the option to purchase a lifetime guarantee for products that do not come with one. However, our standard warranty and exceptional customer service are always available to assist with any issues you may have with your product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melindagilbert
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
melindagilbert
  • MicheleC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • Chef Diane