• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Optimizing Customer Communications: A Guide to Newsletters and Surveys

In summary, Ann uses an Excel file to keep track of her newsletter list, creates a new Word document to write her newsletter, and sets up merge fields in the document to send out emails to her list of customers.
Kathytnt
I am trying to figure out what to so for the future ofkeeping in touch with my customers

What do you do???

I do up my own newsletter. I have my newsletter list in an Excel file, and I mail-merge it to my email program so that each person gets their own copy addressed only to them.

I, too, create my own newsletter. I hadn't thought of doing the mail merge like Ann does, but that's an awesome idea!!!! For when my computer is healthy enough for that anyway. :)

chefann said:
I do up my own newsletter. I have my newsletter list in an Excel file, and I mail-merge it to my email program so that each person gets their own copy addressed only to them.

Ann, can you share how you do this? I think I may have read it on another thread, but have you ever tried to search for a thread that you have posted on? Almost all the threads show up!!:D

Im a newbie so I havent sent one out yet but I really would like to find some good ideas from everyone else

I too would love to see your newsletter Ann. I would also like to know if you actually get any repeat business from it.

sfdavis918 said:
Ann, can you share how you do this? I think I may have read it on another thread, but have you ever tried to search for a thread that you have posted on? Almost all the threads show up!!:D
Disclaimer: I have a Mac and use Entourage for the mail merge notes. You can do this on Windows, but I think you need Outlook, not Outlook Express.

1: Set up your mailing list. It's easiest if you use Excel. I have columns for first name, last name, email address, return date 1, and return date 2. (I'll explain those in a minute)

2: Create a new Word document. Type out your newsletter.

3: Go to Tools > Mail Merge. (This is where it gets a little weird because sometimes the Mac and Windows versions of Word have things in different places, and I'm trying to include the Windows options, since that's what most people have, but I'm on my Mac right now.) There should be something that you can click to use the current document as the merge document.

4: Open your data source. That's the Excel file. You'll need to tell Word which sheet in your Excel file to use. But that's nice because you can use different sheets for different groups of people (past hosts, preferred customers, etc.).

5: Insert merge fields in your document. You'll need to have at least one. I suggest using first name.

6: Set up query options. This is where I use the Return fields. I log the date that messages are returned from each address in the Return 1 (first return) and Return 2 (second return) fields. My query is "Ret2 Is Blank." That's because if that field is blank, they haven't had a second return. You can use fields to indicate preferred customers this way, too.

7: Click "Merge to Email." There will be some additional selections to make, like subject and picking which field in Excel you have the email address in. Word will create messages in your mail outbox - one for each line in the Excel file that met your criteria.

8: I select 10 messages at a time to send. More than that, and my ISP flags them as Spam.

Actually, I would like to see a copy of the newsletter you send out.

Dawn4 said:
I too would love to see your newsletter Ann. I would also like to know if you actually get any repeat business from it.
Mine varies. This month, I sent out one that Becky D. put together that directs people to my PWS. I don't usually get repeat business often from it, but every now and then, someone replies that they want to have a show or place an order. Just enough to keep me from stopping the newsletter altogether. ;)Edited to add: I also have my newsletter list on PWS, and will occasionally send out one of the formatted notes there. The 30-minute chicken email is what attracted my most recent recruit. :)

Last edited:
I use to send mine out through my aol account. The last time I did this aol closed the account because I had sent out spam:mad: . Even though I send them out 10 at a time. We had to go through a bunch of stuff to get a new password from aol and then we could open our email again. So, now I am only going to use constant contact. I normally get at least 1 or 2 responses from them.

I create a SMALL email that directs them to my website. At shows, I ask anyone who would like to get a recipe each month and keep current on promotions to give me their email.

My email looks like this:

Subject: Pampered Chef August Recipe

Body: Your Pampered Chef recipe is ready to view! Visit my website at: www.blahblahblah

That way, I am forcing traffic to my website and hopefully since it is such a short email, they will actually look at it...not just delete it!

BTW- I am considering a newsletter service that SENDS OUT THE NEWSLETTERS....I have a suspicion that many of my emails end up in trash or spam folders, even though I mail them out in small batches! Not sure if I want to spend that $$ though right now...

I make my own newsletter or borrow one from here. I usually send out 2 a month to remind people of what is going on with PC. I have been getting a better response since I started that. Everyone likes to see what recipe I will be giving too since I change it with every email.

I chose 'other'. I create my own, but I borrow some parts of it from other people.

I do my own - very plain, and short newsletter each month.

It was nice last night at my Fall Preview to hear guests refer to my newsletter -

"Oh - is this the salad chopper you were raving about?"

"Are these the knives you said were on sale this month"

"Is that the Chicken Baker you are always talking about?"

So I know they are actually reading it!

I make my own and it's different every month. I send it out before the end of the month so any last minute shoppers can still take advantage of that month too.

I subscribe to Tasty Tidbits but I customize it. I use Linda's, Rita's, and whoever else's I see to get ideas. Last month, I drastically cut it down and instead of including everything in the newsletter, I directed them to my website. I also did a "scavanger hunt" for a $15 gift certificate. The initial instructions were in my newsletter then they had to go to a specific part of my website, that directed them to another, and then they had to use the website to contact me and send a specific phrase. It forced them to look around the website though. I got that idea from my Director.

I used to use Rita's then Linda's. I tried Constant Contact and PWS email. Now, I am doing them myself and borrowing from other people on here and around.

I do a very basic text email monthly that contains the specials for the current and following month and sometimes a recipe. Of course it has my contact information on it and a link to my PWS.

I subscribe to a newsletter. I would like to do my own, but it is time consuming, unless you guys have some ideas!

Just wondering what is Constant Contact??

I have set up a Yahoo Group and am hoping to get that going to send out my newsletter. I think that would be better than sending through my e-mail account, that way I hope to get away from seeming like it's spam.

Last edited:
I also did a "scavanger hunt" for a $15 gift certificate.

Love that idea!! :love: Can you share what you did?? Pretty please!!! :p

PChefPEI said:

I have set up a Yahoo Group and am hoping to get that going to send out my newsletter. I think that would be better than sending through my e-mail account, that way I hope to get away from seeming like it's spam.
Constant Contact is a mailing service. They have templates available for newsletters, invitations, etc. They charge based on the number of addresses you have in your list. I've been considering switching to them to eliminate the hassle of sending in small clumps.

I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but the PC Policies document specifically mentions that we cannot use Yahoo Groups except to communicate with other consultants, so we're not supposed to use them for customer newsletters.

PamperedChefDebi said:
I subscribe to Tasty Tidbits but I customize it. I use Linda's, Rita's, and whoever else's I see to get ideas. Last month, I drastically cut it down and instead of including everything in the newsletter, I directed them to my website. I also did a "scavanger hunt" for a $15 gift certificate. The initial instructions were in my newsletter then they had to go to a specific part of my website, that directed them to another, and then they had to use the website to contact me and send a specific phrase. It forced them to look around the website though. I got that idea from my Director.

Yes, please share the details of your scavenger hunt. What do you say to get them going? What do you say as they are on their way? Is it still on your PWS? Can you email me your newsletter so I can participate in you scavenger hunt to get tips for myself? Do you mind?

[email protected]

Thanks!!

PChefPEI said:
I subscribe to a newsletter. I would like to do my own, but it is time consuming, unless you guys have some ideas!

If you use a yahoo group to stay in touch with your customers then I was told by HO I could not include my PWS in any emails I sent out because the emails and files are kept on the web - even if it is a private group it is against policy. :cry:

Also I have had tons of problems with several of my ISPs treating yahoo groups as spam so it may not solve your spam problems. :yuck:

Ann of course said it much better than I did.

tlennhoff said:
If you use a yahoo group to stay in touch with your customers then I was told by HO I could not include my PWS in any emails I sent out because the emails and files are kept on the web - even if it is a private group it is against policy. :cry:

Also I have had tons of problems with several of my ISPs treating yahoo groups as spam so it may not solve your spam problems. :yuck:

My director used to have a Yahoo group - and it got hijacked and is being used by a spammer now....she keeps getting nasty emails from past hosts and guests telling her to quit spamming them with all kinds of junk mail! She has been working to get it taken care of - but it has been a nightmare!

Thank you Ann , Tasha and Becky for the info on Yahoo Groups! Glad I didn't spend any time setting it up!!!

I know that making your own newsletter is a lot of work, but I may start doing that because I really need to start tightening up the purse strings!!! :yuck:

I think I will keeping sending them as I am now, from my own e-mail account, and see what happens......

Deb, I would love some information on that Scavenger Hunt through your website please!

I do a monthly newsletter with recognition and a training topic or two. I know PC gives lots of info but I still like to include a little training with recogntion.

The template that PC gives directors is a great start. Keep it simple I think with chefsuccess you have lots of information to share from here. As well as the new director success would be great for sharing.

I have started a yahoo group where I post my team newsletters and lots of forms I use each month. Plus training matterial. I have a section for new consultants, bookings, recruiting ,monthly forms etc. That way consultants can access whenever they need.
This is by invitation only group for my consultants and so far the feed back is great.

I don't do any of the above! :) I use the Customer Connection emails on our PWS and send one out per month. I don't have to select 10 emails at a time - PC fixed that on their end so that I can select all 1700 of my contacts (yes, I have that many!!) and send one email ONCE. I usually use one of the emails that has the host information for the month I am trying to book (usually the following month - for example, on 8/1, I sent the Sept. host special - on 9/1, I will send the Oct. special). I also include in the "comments" area a little blurb on what the guest special is that month (this month I said "Forged Cutlery On Sale - 20% OFF!") and any consultant promotions we have.

I get a lot of replies from it - I've been doing it since Jan. of this year. I have increased my online business by about 200% since I started doing this, too - I think since I only include a tiny bit of info in the email, and then direct them to the "News" section of my website to see the details, it forces them to go to my website, then they get interested and place orders. I also have gotten some hosts from it - either from people I send it to, or from people forwarding my email to a sister, friend, etc.

IMO, a long, drawn-out newsletter is not going to get read. I wouldn't read it (I don't have the time), so why should I expect someone else? I put a short, sweet, professional email out once a month, and I keep my website "fresh" by keeping the news sections updated and putting the month in my "home page" title, so they know I update it regularly.

Hope that helps!! I really love using it, especially since I pay for the PWS, I might as well use every single feature I'm paying for, right?! :)

tlennhoff said:

This is why I deleted my Yahoo group - I was showing up as "spam" for everyone, many people said they weren't getting it anymore at all, and I realized it was probably a violation, and I never want to be violating policies!! The best option for me after doing that was exporting all of my contacts from PP to Cust. Connection in my PWS. They don't have that feature working properly yet for P3, but they keep telling me it's going to happen soon. In the meantime, I just add every new email address to it after each show/fair and everyone with an email address is a "preferred customer", so I just select the "preferred customer" group, and send the email - EASY!!!

ChefRhondaFeuer said:
I do a monthly newsletter with recognition and a training topic or two. I know PC gives lots of info but I still like to include a little training with recogntion.

The template that PC gives directors is a great start. Keep it simple I think with chefsuccess you have lots of information to share from here. As well as the new director success would be great for sharing.

I have started a yahoo group where I post my team newsletters and lots of forms I use each month. Plus training matterial. I have a section for new consultants, bookings, recruiting ,monthly forms etc. That way consultants can access whenever they need.
This is by invitation only group for my consultants and so far the feed back is great.

Yahoo groups is a great way to keep in touch with your cluster. My ED and Director both have their own cluster groups on Yahoo to keep in touch with us.

I currently am using Constant Contact in my free 60 day trial period. With just under 100 emails (that's the limit for free trial), I received $265 in orders from the outlet. Some emailed me and some just ordered. I offered shared s/h and having everything shipped to me. Granted "Clearance Sale" may have been the main cause, but even my husband remarked on the email!If you are thinking of using it, let me know. Referrals earn money towards the subscription. I really like it mainly b/c I can see how many people opened the email and how many clicked on each link. Also if someone forwards it, I know that as well. I suggest trying it out. It took a little while for me to do my first one but then it was pretty easy. I love that I can include pictures too and it's not a larger email since the pics are hosted.I'll definitely be signing up. Figure my last email paid for a couple months! Oh...and I DO still keep my emails short with lots of links. It's interesting to see which links catch attention!!

I use Mike from myemaildesign.com

Last edited:
I chose OTHERMy upline lets us use hers....I just readjust it to fit me!:indif:

debi...share?!!!!!
PamperedChefDebi said:
I also did a "scavanger hunt" for a $15 gift certificate.

OH OH Please share!!!!!!!

I too would like info on the scavenger hunt. Thanks!

I create my own. I try to keep it simple without pictures & such, in case people can't open them.

cathyskitchen said:
I use the Customer Connection emails on our PWS and send one out per month.

Love it! Why didn't I think of that!! That will be what I'm going to do. You do have a point....we pay for it, may as well make the most use of it!

Thanks Cathy! :)

ChefLoriG said:
I use Mike from myemaildesign.com

I just started using Mike's newsletter this month. I really like the look of it. I paid for the 3 month trial where he sends them for me. We'll see how it goes :)

What are some ways to keep in touch with customers?

Some effective ways to stay in touch with your customers include sending regular newsletters, conducting surveys, hosting events or workshops, utilizing social media, and providing excellent customer service.

How can newsletters help in optimizing customer communications?

Newsletters are a great way to keep customers informed about new products, promotions, and company updates. They also provide a platform for sharing valuable information and tips, which can help to build trust and strengthen relationships with customers.

What is the purpose of conducting surveys for customer communications?

Surveys allow you to gather feedback from your customers and gain insights into their needs, preferences, and satisfaction levels. This information can be used to improve your products and services, as well as tailor your communications to better meet the needs of your customers.

How can hosting events or workshops help with customer communications?

Hosting events or workshops can provide valuable face-to-face interaction with your customers, allowing you to build stronger relationships and gather feedback in person. These events also provide an opportunity to showcase your products and services and create a memorable experience for your customers.

What role does social media play in customer communications?

Social media is a powerful tool for staying connected with your customers. It allows you to share updates, engage in conversations, and receive feedback in real-time. Social media also provides a platform for building a community and promoting your brand to a wider audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • raebates
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Bren706