• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Newly Found Host/Guest Problems...

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the speaker was initially contacted by a new customer for a large order, which turned into a cooking show. However, the customer has been causing trouble and harassing the speaker for free products. The speaker has sought advice from an attorney and has been instructed to stop communicating with the customer. The conversation also suggests informing the company's home office about the situation. The speaker is concerned about the customer spreading false information about their business and how to handle the situation. The speaker also shares tips for dealing with difficult people.
melissa3026
After much thought, I have only found one way to describe the situation so bare with me...

I recently was introduced to a host/guest who found me through my FB page. When she initially contacted me, it was to place a large order which turned into an impromptu cooking show. Great! Or that's what I thought... since I've had nothing but trouble with her. She has turned into a bully and is harassing me.

She calls me every hour during the day and sends me non-stop email messages asking for free products for herself and her friends just because she wants them. I've mentioned to her numerous times that I can't pick up the phone during certain hours of the day because my fulltime job employer (an attorney) won't permit me to pick up calls and often I'm in the court with one of the attorneys and can't answer.

She conned me into paying for the shipping on a family order she placed through her show already and I've already put my foot down with her multiple times. There's a lot more to this story but that's the basic info.

I'm concerned now because I don't want her spreading things around about my business that are absolutely not true. However, I also know that my business will only suffer if I continue to stay in contact with her. I have the voicemails and the email messages to prove the harassment and have already spoke to one of the attorneys I work for about the situation who agreed that it is in fact harassment. I don't see this woman making any effort to correct her behavior or her lack of respect for me as another human being.

I've been instructed by the attorney to stop communicating with her. So, my question... is there a way to let home office know in advance what is going on just in case she tries to get me in trouble there without causing a big uproar? Suggestions greatly appreciated!

First of all, file a cease & desist order, restraining order, an anti-stalking order, or whatever they're called order.
If she says bad things about you, you may have a libel (or slander) case against her.
Yes, contact HO just in case...be pro-active, not reactive.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd give HO a heads up.

Sounds like she's the type who's used to getting her way if she pushes long enough. Sorry! At this point, your employer probably has the best solution for you.

But for future reference, sometimes you just have to explain to people WHY your answer is what it is. Some just can't take "no" for an answer. Something like "I wish I could afford to do that for you, but it's just not financially feasible for me to give away all my commission and more. I do love owning my own Pampered Chef business and the fun of doing the shows and watching my hosts earn lots of items off their wish list for free & at a discount, but it's just that ... EARNING your benefits. I'm a small business. I can't afford to do what you are asking."

I've had to tell people NO during my career as a Police Dispatcher. On rare occasions, I'd have to get repetative with them & tell them (in a nice voice) "You've already asked me that question, and I've already given you my answer." (They ask again) "You've already asked me that question, and I've already given you my answer." (They ask again) "Ma'am we can play this game all night. You can ask 100 times & my answer will be the same every single time. I'm not deviating from the answer I've already given you." That usually makes them mad & causes them to hang up which I know you don't want, so I'd only recommend using that one as a last resort.

If she wasn't being so difficult, I'd tell you to offer her the business opportunity so that she has the chance to earn MORE off her Wish List for less. But something tells me that would be a nightmare!!! ;)

(((hugs))) Stand your ground & don't give in. Too many people have already caved in the past or she wouldn't be so freaking adamant. And keep in mind that she might actually have a mental disorder & be off her medication! So don't hesitate to call 911 if she confronts you in person. ;)

I agree with Sheila. Sounds like she has some mental disorder or at least is dysfunctional. Cut the ties and I bet she'll unfortunately soon move on to another consultant to bully.

I wouldn't worry about her spreading rumors about you. Her friends probably already know she's a whack-job. Definately call HO and let them know. Good luck!

Sheila said:
But for future reference, sometimes you just have to explain to people WHY your answer is what it is. Some just can't take "no" for an answer. Something like "I wish I could afford to do that for you, but it's just not financially feasible for me to give away all my commission and more. I do love owning my own Pampered Chef business and the fun of doing the shows and watching my hosts earn lots of items off their wish list for free & at a discount, but it's just that ... EARNING your benefits. I'm a small business. I can't afford to do what you are asking."

Thanks for this Sheila. I've actually done just that and it only makes her communication more frequent. In fact, I put all my pampered chef business through my google voice number so I can control it better, have records of every call and text message and have the ability to record phone calls if necessary. Yesterday she somehow managed to located my personal cell phone number and started blowing that number up as well.

I'm contacting HO this morning. I just hope she gets some help because I truly believe she needs some.

oooo... can you block a number with your phone plan? I would! And ditto on the calling of HO... I know my SD will do that when a problem customer pops up, and always recommends it to her downline as well...

Hopefully, she doesn't know where you live. But the second she shows up at my house or place of work, I'd be contacting local PD. I agree with Sheila and the other suggestions. Definitely contact HO. They at least need to be aware.
Good luck

Wow, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this! I have never heard of this happening....usually people don't answer direct salespeople's calls, not the other way around! Since you look like you are fairly new to PC, I hope you know this isn't normal. Really, it is far from it!

Chiming in to say calling HO sounds like a good idea to me, too. Just curious how that call went. Did they know what to do? Do they put a note in "your file" or something? Put a note in "her file"?

What a whackaloon!

melissa3026 said:
....and have the ability to record phone calls if necessary. ...

Be sure you tell her you are recording her call. It's a Federal offense to record a phone conversation without the other person's knowledge. There's an exemption clause for emergency personnel (like Police Departments), but otherwise you'll notice that companies have a disclaimer that the call may be recorded or monitored? That's to cover themselves legally. ;)

I'm fully aware of the requirements for recording a call. I work at a law office.

I wasn't aware! Good to know. Is she still calling your cell? Craaaaaazy.

UPDATE: No contact from her at all today. It's been so nice! Thank you everyone for your kind words of support. I've never dealt with anything like this before and I'm glad to hear it's not the norm for this business. I was getting kind of worried for a bit...

Well, she called home office and filed a complaint. I seriously don't understand! I didn't do anything. I've been in tears all night.

melissa3026 said:
Well, she called home office and filed a complaint. I seriously don't understand! I didn't do anything. I've been in tears all night.

Why? The woman is psycho. And if you had already called HO, or go ahead and call them now, they will take your side most likely after you explain. And you have witnesses from work, and any phone records. So if you haven't called HO, call them. You need to make sure THEY know or at least seek their advice.

It's hard to not let things like that get to you. I know. But this woman is nuts. I just hope it ends there for you. Stay as far away from her as you can, no matter how good of a customer she may have been with $$$. The rest is not worth it.

Yes-Pampered Chef knows there are troubled people out there.
Thru the years some of my consultants have had complaints filed with HO against them. Don't worry a bit about HO- they'll take your side. Concentrate on the good things in life today.

really? what could she possibly complain about? that you didn't buy everything for her? HO will definitely have your back. That was obviously her attempt to get something from them since she could no longer get it out of you.

Lexif424 said:
really? what could she possibly complain about? that you didn't buy everything for her? HO will definitely have your back. That was obviously her attempt to get something from them since she could no longer get it out of you.
That's pretty much exactly what it was. She was complaining because guest didn't get the guest special at her show but it's because they didn't purchase the dollar amount required to earn it.Fortunately, I had already notified HO about the situation. The woman assigned to the complaint at HO was very considerate about the whole thing and was able to get the matter resolved. She even told the host that she was not to contact me again.Thank you all for your support. I was feeling out of sorts and a bit lost. My director recently retired and I didn't have anyone to talk to about it so that made me feel even worse. I have to admit that I was pondering whether or not I should just let this business go. But, that is all over now... no contact from her at all and HO has resolved the complaint that was filed. I attended Feast held in my area and was fortunate enough to locate a local director who took me in as my hospitality director. I've already attended one of her group training sessions and I'm feeling much more energized and ready to go. Thank you again everyone. You're support really did help me get through this roller coaster!

1. What are some common problems that arise between hosts and guests in a newly found situation?

Some common problems that may arise between hosts and guests in a newly found situation include miscommunication, differing expectations, lack of clear boundaries, and conflicting personalities. Hosts may also feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of hosting, while guests may feel uncomfortable in a new environment.

2. How can miscommunication be avoided between hosts and guests?

To avoid miscommunication, hosts and guests should clearly communicate their expectations and needs before the stay. This can be done through open and honest communication, written agreements, and setting clear boundaries. It is also important to actively listen to each other and address any concerns or misunderstandings immediately.

3. What can be done to prevent conflicting personalities from causing problems?

To prevent conflicting personalities from causing problems, hosts and guests should be respectful and understanding of each other's differences. It may also be helpful to have a conversation beforehand to get to know each other and establish common ground. If conflicts do arise, it is important to address them calmly and find a compromise.

4. How can hosts create a comfortable and welcoming environment for guests?

To create a comfortable and welcoming environment, hosts should communicate clearly and provide any necessary information or amenities for their guests. They should also respect their guests' privacy and make sure the living space is clean and well-maintained. It can also be helpful to provide recommendations for local attractions or activities to make the guest's stay more enjoyable.

5. What should guests do to ensure a positive experience as a newcomer in a host's home?

As a newcomer in a host's home, guests can ensure a positive experience by being respectful, following any house rules, and communicating openly with the host. It is also important to be understanding and flexible, and to show appreciation for the host's hospitality. Guests should also be mindful of their own behavior and maintain a clean and tidy living space during their stay.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcjenkunkel
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Tracy99