• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Zip Code Requirement and Using a Gift Card?

In summary, the customer's Visa gift card did not work because the billing zip code was required. HO requires the zip code because their merchant bank charges them less if we provide it. The bank on the other hand then can decide if they approve or decline the charge if that zip code doesn't match.
jwpamp
I had a customer last night that used a Visa Gift Card for her payment. Does anyone know what to enter for the "Billing Zip Code"?

I will check with HO on Monday morning, but thought someone may have already run across this situation and it would save me a call.

TIA

I'd put in the customer's zip code. My guess is that Visa gift cards are coded as such.

just wondering if her aunt from another zip code sent it to her as a gift -- whose zip? how would they know? maybe it doesn't even matter with gift cards...I will post when I find out!

HO requires the zip because their merchant bank charges them less if we provide it. HO doesn't decide whether or not the charge is approved, that's up to the bank. The bank on the other hand then can decide if they approve or decline the charge if that zip code doesn't match. I would think that in the case of a gift card, the issuing bank would not be to stringent on that match, as they can't tell where the purchases has sent the card as a gift.

Just my thoughts based on my years of experience working with credit card authorizations and such.

FYI: I had the SAME EXACT situation last night and submitted a show with a host's visa preloaded debit card.... NO GO. Show on hold. So far I have found that PC doesn't take any preloaded cards...Pennsylvania state issued (as well as New York) have not been able to be processed by PC and they all had Visa or MC logo's. I have entered the zip, the card is registered and it still won't go. Now i'm just panicked that I won't earn the bag since I had 2 shows submitted and both went on hold. :I

Hope you have better luch than I am having.

I will post the answer when I call HO. I have a feeling that they probably have to do these "manually".

I already warned my customer that we may have to use an alternate form of payment, so there is no problem there.

As for your shows on hold, as long as you get them reconciled, they should still send your bag. Congrats!

Ya'll got me worried, as I submitted a show last night with a gift card on it. I questioned the zip code, but just decided to put the customer's zip. I just checked my shipment status and the show is marked as picked.................Nothing listed under "resolve declined credit cards".

It could be that gift cards will take any zip when processed (they can determine if it is a gift card by the number sequence). They could have resolved this issue at HO already, who knows?

I haven't submitted it yet. Just wanted to avoid any issues ahead of time!

I got a Visa gift card for Christmas and if I wanted to use it to purchase online or over the phone then I had to register it on the website first and there was a website on the back of it. I am assuming that ordering from PC woudl be like a online or phone order, so maybe see if hers has a website on it to register it. When I registered mine just to see what it would do I had to input all of my information, address wise and all. I didn't use it to purchase anything online, but I am assuming since I registered it and I had to put in my address and zip that would be the zip code I would use if I did.

Hope that makes sense.

The card the host used was registered online. I tried to call HO but they were closed. The girl checked the balance on it and it is $3 short now b/c the gift card company already took out a monthly fee (and she just got it for this purpose). I now know these cards are not good - filled with fee's. I made the suggestion to cash it out at an ATM and of course, another fee plus the atm fee that whatever bank owns it tacks on.

Lesson learned: I will be very specific with closing out a show and methods accepted. Who doesn't have a bank account this day in age? That one always baffles me. I'm now offering hosts incentive to not send me a check so that I don't have to go to the bank. Such an inconvenience since I work longer hours than banks are open (imagine that). :) My first 2010 incentive for hosts has already caused me grief. Hope its not a sign for what 2010 is to bring.

Melissa78 said:
The card the host used was registered online. I tried to call HO but they were closed. The girl checked the balance on it and it is $3 short now b/c the gift card company already took out a monthly fee (and she just got it for this purpose). I now know these cards are not good - filled with fee's. I made the suggestion to cash it out at an ATM and of course, another fee plus the atm fee that whatever bank owns it tacks on.

Lesson learned: I will be very specific with closing out a show and methods accepted. Who doesn't have a bank account this day in age? That one always baffles me. I'm now offering hosts incentive to not send me a check so that I don't have to go to the bank. Such an inconvenience since I work longer hours than banks are open (imagine that). :) My first 2010 incentive for hosts has already caused me grief. Hope its not a sign for what 2010 is to bring.

When talking to my hosts about closing their show I always tell them that we will close over the phone and she can pay me for her order and any other outstanding orders with her debit card or credit card. I tell her to have all of those paying with a check after the show to write the check to her. 99% of the time this works perfect for me and the host. I wouldn't suggest offering an incentive just make it the way you run your business.

FYI -- per HO this morning....they can NOT accept Gift Cards as forms of payment at this time.

jwpamp said:
FYI -- per HO this morning....they can NOT accept Gift Cards as forms of payment at this time.

Oh my goodness, really? And how ironic that PC awards us Visa gift cards from time to time.

I've been able to use gift cards in the past, by typing what's on the card "A Gift For You" as the name on the card. Even unregistered cards. I'm betting it's the whole zip thing right now. Hopefully, they will resolve the issue soon!!!But try re-submitting it with what ever is printed on the card & the zip for the card company & see if it goes through! LOL Can't hurt, right?

I wonder if they know they DID take one on Friday?!?! And the customer even paid for 2 different orders with it! LOL!

What zip did you put in? I will try it and see if I get a "hold" on it....

Just the customer's zip

hmmm...I would like to hear from anyone else's experience with this!!

Just wondering if anyone has run into this gift card zip code problem since last reported?

1. What is the new zip code requirement for using a gift card?

The new zip code requirement for using a gift card is a security measure put in place by many retailers to prevent fraudulent transactions. Customers are required to enter their zip code at the point of sale when using a gift card as a form of payment.

2. Why do I need to enter my zip code when using a gift card?

Entering your zip code when using a gift card helps verify your identity and ensure that the gift card is being used by the intended recipient. This helps protect both the customer and the retailer from fraud.

3. Do all retailers have this zip code requirement for using a gift card?

Not all retailers have the zip code requirement for using a gift card, but it is becoming more common as a security measure. It is always best to check with the specific retailer before making a purchase to see if this requirement is in place.

4. Can I use a gift card without entering my zip code?

In most cases, you will not be able to use a gift card without entering your zip code. However, some retailers may have alternative methods for verifying your identity, such as a pin number or ID check.

5. What if I don't know the zip code associated with my gift card?

If you do not know the zip code associated with your gift card, you can usually find it by contacting the retailer or checking the card's packaging or receipt. If you are unable to locate the zip code, you may need to contact the gift card issuer or use a different form of payment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jwpamp
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • gailz2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
nancycookspc
  • pkd09