• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are Some Great Slow Cooker Recipes for Beginners?

In summary, Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a popular recipe that can be made with different ingredients depending on what the person wants.
VeronicaW
Gold Member
I have just gotten a slow cooker in May.
I'm looking for great recipes to use in it, any suggestions?

And yes, any thoughts on some PC favorites to do in it?

Thanks In Advance!

If you do a search on slow cooker recipes, there are a TON of them out there!
I use mine ALOT! My favorites are chicken and dumplings and roasts. With roasts, they fall apart in the slow cooker...yum yum...

I just found a new recipe that I am actually trying today. It is chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. I'll let you know how it is after we eat tonight.

JoLynn

How are you doing?

jbarnhill said:
I just found a new recipe that I am actually trying today. It is chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. I'll let you know how it is after we eat tonight.

JoLynn

So how was it? That sounds delicious (of course, I'm really hungry right now!).

OK This is my favorite. Its from Betty Crocker, so you know its almost as good as PC! Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb), skin removed
1/3 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium green bell pepper
2 medium onions
2 cups Progresso® diced tomatoes (from 28-oz can), undrained
1 jar (4.5 oz) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Coat chicken with flour. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 15 to 20 minutes or until brown on all sides; drain.
2. Cut bell pepper and onions crosswise in half; cut each half into fourths.
3. In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, place half of the chicken pieces. Mix bell pepper, onions and remaining ingredients except cheese; spoon half of mixture over chicken. Add remaining chicken; top with remaining vegetable mixture.
4. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Serve with cheese. I also make a beef stewCubed beef
Onion
Celery
Carrot
Potatoes
KetchupI flour the beef and brown it in a skillet. I cut up the veggies and place them in the bottom. I drizzle ketchup over the top (maybe 1/2 cup) and mix up veggies and then stick the beef on top. My Mom used to make this and I love it as an adult!

This is the absolute BEST site (IMHO) is A Year of Slow Cooking

She spent the entire year last year cooking with nothing but her crockpot, and posted all the recipes. She has published a couple of books, but leaves her website up for free...tons of recipes, easily searchable. I haven't tried a bad recipe yet from her...

esavvymom said:
So how was it? That sounds delicious (of course, I'm really hungry right now!).

I wasn't that impressed with it however my boyfriend thought that it was great and has eaten it for leftovers. I shredded it and ate it as sandwiches

1. How do I properly use a slow cooker?

To use a slow cooker, start by preparing your ingredients and placing them in the pot. Next, add any liquid or seasonings and set the desired cooking temperature (low or high). Make sure the lid is secure and let the slow cooker do the work! It is important to avoid lifting the lid during cooking, as this can affect the cooking time and temperature.

2. Can I cook frozen meat in a slow cooker?

It is not recommended to cook frozen meat in a slow cooker. This can lead to uneven cooking and increase the risk of foodborne illness. It is best to thaw meat before placing it in the slow cooker.

3. How long should I cook a meal in a slow cooker?

The cooking time for a slow cooker meal can vary based on the recipe and the size of your slow cooker. As a general rule, cooking on low heat will take approximately 8 hours, while cooking on high heat will take around 4 hours. It is important to follow the recipe instructions for specific cooking times.

4. Can I brown meat in a slow cooker?

Most slow cookers do not have the capability to brown meat, so it is best to sear the meat in a separate pan before placing it in the slow cooker. This will help to enhance the flavor and texture of the meat.

5. Can I leave my slow cooker unattended?

It is not recommended to leave a slow cooker unattended for extended periods of time, as this can increase the risk of foodborne illness. It is important to follow the recommended cooking times and check on the slow cooker periodically. Some slow cookers also have a timer feature that can automatically switch to a warm setting once the cooking time is up.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies