• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the New Smooth Edge Can Opener Really Better? A First-Time User's Review

In summary, I was a little disappointed when they announced they redesigned it. It's a really popular item to begin with, not like anything is wrong with it. It was - well - SMOOTH. I really liked how it attached and was easy to get going. It seemed a little harder to twist but it could just be me, I have bad wrists.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Just used this for the first time. I was a little disappointed when they announced they redesigned it. It's a really popular item to begin with, not like anything is wrong with it. It was - well - SMOOTH. I really liked how it attached and was easy to get going. It seemed a little harder to twist but it could just be me, I have bad wrists.

I also love that it has the ring tab opener part. I sliced my fingers open when I was a teenager opening a can of cat food. Yah, klutz as always! This makes me feel a lot safer.

I like the ring tab puller, too, especially since so many canned foods now have these (and can openers can't be used). I've never had anyone say the don't need the Smooth Edge Can Opener because of this, but it's definitely another great reason to buy one.

pampchefsarah said:
I like the ring tab puller, too, especially since so many canned foods now have these (and can openers can't be used). I've never had anyone say the don't need the Smooth Edge Can Opener because of this, but it's definitely another great reason to buy one.

Strange - I use my can opener all the time on ring tab cans - I show people this at my shows, along with letting them know that they are saving their scrapers by using the can opener instead of the ring tab.

Used mine for the 1st time and agree it's nice!

ChefBeckyD said:
Strange - I use my can opener all the time on ring tab cans - I show people this at my shows, along with letting them know that they are saving their scrapers by using the can opener instead of the ring tab.

Really? I guess it depends on the manufacturer. There are some for which it can't be used (which makes sense - why use a can opener if you can just pull the tab, which takes care of the 'cross contamination' issue, as well).

And I bought mine about a month ago and now they redesigned it. ;) I LOVE it!!!

ChefBeckyD said:

Me, too! I was very surprised that the new can opener had the ring puller. . .I can't stand opening a can that way and I don't have to with our can opener. I hope that the new style will still work to open the cans with pull rings or I'll be very disappointed.

So what did I do wrong. I read the directions and did what it said and nothing just the marks around the can and some metal shavings on my counter. I had to get my old one out to open the can.

I didn't have any trouble using it but it was weird at first - didn't feel like it was on the can at all until I started turning it.

I do like the ring puller - there are some cans that won't open any other way. I wish they'd left the bottle opener on it though.

My DIL just asked me to get her a can opener - she loves our current one - I think I'll get her both of them...

Mine worked great at first, now all it does is make marks around the outside. I had to buy a regular can opener this weekend, I sure hope the new one lasts longer!!

I always open my pull tab cans with our can opener. Never found one that couldn't be opened.
Couple of reasons:
1. You can recycle the smooth edge lids but not the sharp ones (I have curbside recycling)
2. Safer than sharp edges
3. Can't get all the food out of the can with it has that rim on it (as someone said, saves the scrapers) I hate trying to get tomato soup out of a pull tab can!

mspibb said:
I always open my pull tab cans with our can opener. Never found one that couldn't be opened.
Couple of reasons:
1. You can recycle the smooth edge lids but not the sharp ones (I have curbside recycling)
2. Safer than sharp edges
3. Can't get all the food out of the can with it has that rim on it (as someone said, saves the scrapers) I hate trying to get tomato soup out of a pull tab can!

I never thought of that!!! All GREAT points.... I was just thinking today how much I actually hate the pull-tab cans. They hurt your fingers to open them (IMHO). I do not think they are easier to open. I think they are harder because you have to be so careful as you pull that top off so as to not spill the food! (and they don't seem to come off very easily) But I never thought about just opening it with the opener!

I will be ordering the new one next week to give it try. Can't beat the price :)

I turned harder to me too, but I've only used it once so far. We don't use a lot of canned stuff so I was excited to open a can last night :).

I am really hoping the new one is better. I have had the old one for about 4 years or so and have had NO problems, BUT I have had to return 4 in the last 3 months. They did not work. I tried them also, so I know they did not work.

What is the New Smooth Edge Can Opener?

The New Smooth Edge Can Opener is an innovative kitchen tool designed to easily and safely open cans without leaving sharp edges.

How does the New Smooth Edge Can Opener work?

The can opener features a sharp serrated blade that cuts along the top of the can, leaving a smooth edge. It also has a built-in lid lifter for easy removal of the lid.

Is the New Smooth Edge Can Opener easy to use?

Yes, the can opener is designed for ease of use. It has an ergonomic handle for a comfortable grip and requires minimal effort to open cans.

Is the New Smooth Edge Can Opener dishwasher safe?

Yes, the can opener is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing to prolong its lifespan.

What types of cans can the New Smooth Edge Can Opener open?

The can opener is designed to open standard sized cans, including tin, aluminum, and steel cans. It may not be suitable for oversized or oddly shaped cans.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
Back