• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Recipes Vs Finicky Eaters in Your Family

In summary, my husband is a "meat & potatoes" guy and doesn't like trying new dishes. I try to make one new recipe a week and he usually likes it, but if I make a bunch in a row he gets bugged.
Bren706
Gold Member
I LOVE trying new foods and recipes. However, my hubby and the 3 kids are finicky. DH likes to stick with all my classic recipes and that's it. I get tired of making and eating the same thing all the time, and like to try out new recipes. DH hates when I try something new.

Do you have finicky eaters? How do you get around trying new recipes? Curious to see what everyone else does.

That is us, too! Except it's just DH and I.

It's not that he won't try something new - I can usually sneek a new dish in here or there...it's that he is a "meat & potatoes" guy. And most of the dishes in the SB that I want to try don't fit that mold. There is always something in a recipe that he doesn't like. It's endless.

The only new recipe I have gotten him to try recently was the Bacon Meatloaf recipe in the new DCB cookbook.

What has worked in the past is that I tell him he is on his own & I am making my own thing. Sometimes he is interested and will relent and try it, other times maybe not.

This is what happened with the Asian Pork Noodle dish a few years ago. He would have NEVER tried it. I had it at cluster, told him it was WONDERFUL and made it anyway. He gave in and tried it and it is one of his favorite dishes now. And believe me when I tell you I will constantly bring up this example when he complains about something new. :)

Good luck! I understand what you are going through!

If it's a recipe with pasta or rice, I just left a bowl full aside for my son. He could eat his plain or with a little parmesan sprinkled on it, and I'd finish the recipe normally. They should grow out of it. Don't know what to say about husbands doing this, though!

ShellBeach said:
Don't know what to say about husbands doing this, though!

Hahaha! Exactly! My kids are very picky (except the baby - she'll eat anything) But my husband loves the new recipes I test out, even if he makes a face when I tell him it's "new"!

My husband only gets bugged about it if I make a whole bunch of new meals in a row. He likes to eat the same old thing because he knows he already likes it. I usually try to make one new recipe a week, and fill up the rest with things I know he likes!

1. What if I have picky eaters in my family?

It can be challenging to find new recipes that everyone in your family will enjoy, especially if you have picky eaters. One tip is to involve them in the cooking process - let them choose a recipe or help prepare the meal. This can make them more likely to try the dish. You can also try incorporating familiar ingredients into new recipes to make them more appealing.

2. How can I introduce new recipes without overwhelming my family?

Start small and gradually introduce new recipes into your family's meal rotation. Instead of completely replacing a familiar dish, try adding a twist to it by incorporating a new ingredient or cooking method. This can help ease your family into trying new dishes without overwhelming them.

3. What if my finicky eaters refuse to try new recipes?

It's important to respect your family's food preferences, but also encourage them to try new things. One approach is to have a "no thank you" bite policy - everyone must at least try a small bite of the new dish. If they still don't like it, offer them an alternative option. Over time, they may become more open to trying new recipes.

4. Can I modify new recipes to accommodate picky eaters?

Yes, you can definitely modify new recipes to accommodate picky eaters. For example, if a recipe calls for an ingredient that your family doesn't like, you can substitute it with a similar ingredient that they do enjoy. You can also adjust the seasonings or cooking method to suit their preferences.

5. What if I have dietary restrictions in my family?

If you have family members with dietary restrictions, it can be even more challenging to find new recipes that everyone can enjoy. However, there are many resources available for recipes that cater to specific dietary needs. You can also modify recipes to fit your family's restrictions by substituting ingredients or adjusting cooking methods. And don't be afraid to get creative and come up with your own family-friendly recipes!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tjb11675
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
Amyskitchen2
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies