• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Failed Attempt at a Spritz Cookie Recipe

the cookies tasted like a big mess. I think it would be better if it didn't have sprinkles in it at all, and just had a simple sugar cookie.I always use Pure Almond extract when making spritz cookies. and I usually use more then it says. I cannot wait to get the new press. I have the old one and it took a while to figure out but irt is still a pain. i have an old wilton one I used but now out it goes when the new one arrives.How did you like the new press?? I HATED it even more than the old one. I tried it yesterday with spritz. There isn't any way to know if you've put enough dough out-
wadesgirl
Gold Member
We made the spritz cookie recipe but I didn't like it. It tasted way to flour-y for me. I didn't make the dough so I don't know if the recipe was followed exactly. But I was thinking of making cookies with my neice and nephew this weekend. Do you think I could just use a regular sugar cookie or peanut butter cookie recipe in it?

The Delightful Desserts cookbook has a recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms and it calls for 1 pkg refrigerated sugar cookie dough, 1/2 c creamy pb and 42 kisses. so I would think the plane sugar cookie dough would work....

If you look up a regular recipe for Spritz cookies you will find they taste good. They are kind of a plain cookie, but with enough sprinkles, etc. on them, they can be tasty! And the peanut butter blossoms are very yummy! Peanut butter and chocolate kisses...how can you go wrong?!?!:D

Maybe a drop of Jam in the middle would add a little extra something to the cookie. The plain dough is a little bland and dry.

chefcharity said:
The Delightful Desserts cookbook has a recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms and it calls for 1 pkg refrigerated sugar cookie dough, 1/2 c creamy pb and 42 kisses. so I would think the plane sugar cookie dough would work....
Yummy, I think we'll make those!

baychef said:
If you look up a regular recipe for Spritz cookies you will find they taste good. They are kind of a plain cookie, but with enough sprinkles, etc. on them, they can be tasty! And the peanut butter blossoms are very yummy! Peanut butter and chocolate kisses...how can you go wrong?!?!:D

We thought that they would have tasted better with sprinkles!

Spritz cookies are a very specific type of cookie. If you're used to chocolate chip or other moist cookies, they take some getting used to. I have a cream cheese spritz recipe that's really good.Also, because they're very short (more butter than flour), spritz cookies taste best when made with real butter, not margarine. And never use a spread - the increased water in spread will adversely affect the finished product. It's also important not to over-bake spritz. Because there's less moisture in them, they're less forgiving when over-baked.Cream Cheese Spritz
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanillaHeat oven to 375˚F. Mix butter and cream cheese in medium bowl. Stir in flour, sugar and vanilla. Place dough in cookie press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.

chefann said:
Spritz cookies are a very specific type of cookie. If you're used to chocolate chip or other moist cookies, they take some getting used to. I have a cream cheese spritz recipe that's really good.

Also, because they're very short (more butter than flour), spritz cookies taste best when made with real butter, not margarine. And never use a spread - the increased water in spread will adversely affect the finished product. It's also important not to over-bake spritz. Because there's less moisture in them, they're less forgiving when over-baked.

Cream Cheese Spritz
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 375˚F. Mix butter and cream cheese in medium bowl. Stir in flour, sugar and vanilla. Place dough in cookie press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.

I used the recipe posted on CC for the old press. And we did use real butter, that's the only we use in my house.

I wonder if adding almond flavoring in place of the vanilla would spruce up the flavor a bit. Has anyone tried that?

Sandy

I always use Pure Almond extract when making spritz cookies. and I usually use more then it says. I cannot wait to get the new press. I have the old one and it took a while to figure out but irt is still a pain. i have an old wilton one I used but now out it goes when the new one arrives.

How did you like the new press?? I HATED it even more than the old one. I tried it yesterday with spritz. There isn't any way to know if you've put enough dough out- I kept turning it too far, and then I wouldn't turn it enough... the dough wouldn't remove from the disk... I tried ALL of the disks and I finally got about 10 butterflies- but one "wing" had more dough than the other... I was so frustrated with it.

I always add sprinkles before baking Spritz cookies. so I ended up just balling the dough and adding sprinkles to the dough, small scoop is great for these for little hands like my 4 and 2 year old.

So if anyone has tips for the new press let me know.

I haven't tried the new one yet, but my 'old' one I've had for years and works great. I melt cheese in the dough and add garlic powder, onion or chili powder to make a neat snack.I question the improvements with the new one. just because of it's design. Used to have a metal one similar to the new one and got rid of it. why did they change it anyway?

I just got the new press yesterday. Can't wait to try it out. I always use almond flavoring and use the bar disk when I make them. Then after making a long strip I take a knife or a spatula and slice them and then pick them up with the spatula to put on the baking sheet. I haven't tried to make the other shapes with the press though.

It worked really good when we used it. As far as how much dough, you just get used to how far to twist it.

LOVE the new cookie press! I always got frustrated with the other one and would threatened to throw it across the room. This one is SO easy to use and fast too! :) I am looking forward to making cookies for the holidays this year! :)

haven't tried the new one yet...but I LOVED the old one!! Will never get rid of that one in my house..I hope I like the new one..or I wont be doing cookie demos anymore...Just seems a little "chincy" (SP?) to me....and I loved that I could use a variety of doughs with the old one...I'll give you my opinion when I find time to try the new one

I hated the old one. I could never get it to work correctly. But, the new one seems to big to me. Seems ackward to hold and work...I have small hands.

Shawnna said:
I hated the old one. I could never get it to work correctly. But, the new one seems to big to me. Seems ackward to hold and work...I have small hands.

I have small hands too. While the barrel is large, the turning hand is not. And you really aren't holding the barrel when you use it.

I watched the product video on this, and it looks like it is meant to sit on the cookie sheet in the little feet while you twist out the dough. I am still waiting for my sample package to arrive, and am anxious to try it!!

1. What could have caused my spritz cookie recipe to fail?

There are a few potential reasons why your spritz cookie recipe may have failed. One possibility is that the dough was overmixed, resulting in tough cookies. Another common issue is using old or expired ingredients, which can affect the taste and texture of the cookies. Finally, using the wrong type of flour or not measuring ingredients accurately can also lead to a failed batch of spritz cookies.

2. Can I salvage my failed spritz cookie dough?

It is possible to salvage your failed spritz cookie dough, depending on the issue. If the dough is too dry, you can try adding a small amount of liquid, such as milk or water, to moisten it. If the dough is too wet, you can add a little bit of flour. However, if the dough has been overmixed, it may be difficult to fix and may result in tough cookies.

3. Should I chill my spritz cookie dough before baking?

Yes, it is recommended to chill your spritz cookie dough before baking. This will help the dough hold its shape and prevent the cookies from spreading too much in the oven. Chilling the dough also allows the flavors to develop and results in a better texture for the cookies.

4. Can I use a different type of cookie press for my spritz cookie recipe?

It is best to use a cookie press specifically designed for spritz cookies, as other types of cookie presses may not work as well. However, if you do not have a spritz cookie press, you can try using a piping bag with a star-shaped tip to pipe the dough onto the baking sheet.

5. How can I prevent my spritz cookies from sticking to the baking sheet?

To prevent your spritz cookies from sticking to the baking sheet, make sure to use a non-stick baking sheet or line the sheet with parchment paper. You can also lightly grease the baking sheet with cooking spray or butter. Additionally, be sure to cool the baking sheet completely before placing the dough on it, as a warm sheet can cause the cookies to spread and stick.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
Replies
Views
straitfan
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies