1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: New cookie press

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

We made the spritz cookie recipe but I didn't like it. It tasted way to flour-y for me. I didn't make the dough so I don't know if the recipe was followed exactly. But I was thinking of making cookies with my neice and nephew this weekend. Do you think I could just use a regular sugar cookie or peanut butter cookie recipe in it?

Aug 14, 2009
  2. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

The Delightful Desserts cookbook has a recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms and it calls for 1 pkg refrigerated sugar cookie dough, 1/2 c creamy pb and 42 kisses. so I would think the plane sugar cookie dough would work....

Aug 14, 2009
  3. baychef

baychef Senior Member Silver Member

If you look up a regular recipe for Spritz cookies you will find they taste good. They are kind of a plain cookie, but with enough sprinkles, etc. on them, they can be tasty! And the peanut butter blossoms are very yummy! Peanut butter and chocolate kisses...how can you go wrong?!?!:D

Aug 14, 2009
  4. scavallero

scavallero Member

Maybe a drop of Jam in the middle would add a little extra something to the cookie. The plain dough is a little bland and dry.

Aug 14, 2009
  5. wadesgirl

Yummy, I think we'll make those!

We thought that they would have tasted better with sprinkles!

Aug 14, 2009
  6. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Spritz cookies are a very specific type of cookie. If you're used to chocolate chip or other moist cookies, they take some getting used to. I have a cream cheese spritz recipe that's really good.

Also, because they're very short (more butter than flour), spritz cookies taste best when made with real butter, not margarine. And never use a spread - the increased water in spread will adversely affect the finished product. It's also important not to over-bake spritz. Because there's less moisture in them, they're less forgiving when over-baked.

Cream Cheese Spritz
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
    1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 375˚F. Mix butter and cream cheese in medium bowl. Stir in flour, sugar and vanilla. Place dough in cookie press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.

Aug 14, 2009
  7. wadesgirl

I used the recipe posted on CC for the old press. And we did use real butter, that's the only we use in my house.

Aug 14, 2009
  8. jetcitysandy

jetcitysandy Member Gold Member

I wonder if adding almond flavoring in place of the vanilla would spruce up the flavor a bit. Has anyone tried that?

Sandy

Aug 15, 2009
  9. Triciascucina

Triciascucina Member

I always use Pure Almond extract when making spritz cookies. and I usually use more then it says. I cannot wait to get the new press. I have the old one and it took a while to figure out but irt is still a pain. i have an old wilton one I used but now out it goes when the new one arrives.

Aug 15, 2009
  10. Bluiydangl

Bluiydangl Member

How did you like the new press?? I HATED it even more than the old one. I tried it yesterday with spritz. There isn't any way to know if you've put enough dough out- I kept turning it too far, and then I wouldn't turn it enough... the dough wouldn't remove from the disk... I tried ALL of the disks and I finally got about 10 butterflies- but one "wing" had more dough than the other... I was so frustrated with it.

I always add sprinkles before baking Spritz cookies. so I ended up just balling the dough and adding sprinkles to the dough, small scoop is great for these for little hands like my 4 and 2 year old.

So if anyone has tips for the new press let me know.

Aug 15, 2009
  11. Judybabe

Judybabe Guest

I haven't tried the new one yet, but my 'old' one I've had for years and works great. I melt cheese in the dough and add garlic powder, onion or chili powder to make a neat snack.

I question the improvements with the new one. just because of it's design. Used to have a metal one similar to the new one and got rid of it. why did they change it anyway?

Aug 15, 2009
  12. jetcitysandy

jetcitysandy Member Gold Member

I just got the new press yesterday. Can't wait to try it out. I always use almond flavoring and use the bar disk when I make them. Then after making a long strip I take a knife or a spatula and slice them and then pick them up with the spatula to put on the baking sheet. I haven't tried to make the other shapes with the press though.

Aug 15, 2009
  13. wadesgirl

It worked really good when we used it. As far as how much dough, you just get used to how far to twist it.

Aug 16, 2009
  14. coriatc

coriatc Member Gold Member

LOVE the new cookie press! I always got frustrated with the other one and would threatened to throw it across the room. This one is SO easy to use and fast too! :) I am looking forward to making cookies for the holidays this year! :)

Aug 16, 2009
  15. kreaser

kreaser Advanced Member Gold Member

haven't tried the new one yet...but I LOVED the old one!! Will never get rid of that one in my house..I hope I like the new one..or I wont be doing cookie demos anymore...Just seems a little "chincy" (SP?) to me....and I loved that I could use a variety of doughs with the old one...I'll give you my opinion when I find time to try the new one

Aug 16, 2009
  16. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

I hated the old one. I could never get it to work correctly. But, the new one seems to big to me. Seems ackward to hold and work...I have small hands.

Aug 16, 2009
  17. wadesgirl

I have small hands too. While the barrel is large, the turning hand is not. And you really aren't holding the barrel when you use it.

Aug 17, 2009
  18. shelly.nurse

shelly.nurse Member

I watched the product video on this, and it looks like it is meant to sit on the cookie sheet in the little feet while you twist out the dough. I am still waiting for my sample package to arrive, and am anxious to try it!!

Aug 17, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted