• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I write off a new computer as a tax deduction for my business?

In summary, the deadline to claim deductions for purchases made in 2005 is January 1st, 2006. The deadline to file taxes is April 15th.
pchefinski
Does anyone, by chance, know the specifics of writing off a new computer/office equipment as a biz expense?
~What percentage of it can I write off? (Is it how much the computer will be used for PC vs other uses? and how do you submit/show proof of that?)
~Do I need to buy a specific kind/brand of computer? I ask this question b/c my husband gets a discount on Alienware computers through his job, so we're wanting to get one of those.. they're normal computers, but they have better graphics and a longer life.
~The other option is possibly having an acquaintance build us a computer. (And by build, I mean put one together from parts of 10 different computers) I'm not sure that this would work for tax-deduction purposes though, as I'm guessing I'd probably need a receipt, detailed with all the parts, services, etc, and his services don't seem like they'd, well, be accepted by the gov't--if you get my drift. :rolleyes:
~If we got the printer, I could write that off too, correct? We do little to no printing from our computer except for my PC stuff, so I'm thinking I could.. but I'm not sure.
[I'm pushing to get a new computer, b/c the one we have now is a put-together, and it is very unstable.. we've had to reformat it 5 times in the past year or so. I can't have that kind of instability when I'm running a business, you know? Plus, the shoddy computer we have now only has notepad on it.. I can't make any Word documents or send any attachments to anyone via email b/c my programs are so old they don't mesh with others.] Thanks for all your help.. This site is so awesome and I am really grateful there are so many helpful PCers out there!

You can write off anything you purchase for your business - even the ingredients to try a recipe - twice! Computers are depreciated over time. I use a software program to do taxes and it automatically does the calculations. I think (but don't hold me to it) that it deducted like half the first year and then the rest is divided over - maybe 10 years? I highly suggest that if you do your own taxes you get something like TurboTax it will simplify things for you!

To answer some of your other questions: Any brand. Just keep your receipts. Printers and other components (and desks, etc.) are also deductable. Just keep receipts. Buy it used? Have the seller give you a receipt. If it's in writing it's deductable.

I'm buying a laptop off a friend who got a new one for herself...how does this work tax wise? Does she have to write me a receipt for what I paid?

Glad this question was asked cause I was pondering the same things!

AFwife said:
I'm buying a laptop off a friend who got a new one for herself...how does this work tax wise? Does she have to write me a receipt for what I paid?

Glad this question was asked cause I was pondering the same things!
As long as you have a receipt you can claim the deduction - it doesn't matter who you bought it from. Check with your tax accountant or call the IRS for details on what you need to do if you don't use tax software to do your taxes.

Beth Brigham said:
As long as you have a receipt you can claim the deduction - it doesn't matter who you bought it from. Check with your tax accountant or call the IRS for details on what you need to do if you don't use tax software to do your taxes.

COOL! Thanks!

By chance, does anyone know the deadline for claiming deductions? My mother-in-law said that she thought it was January 1st, but I was thinking it would be April 15th. I was wondering because we just bought a new computer yesterday (4th), and am hoping that I'm still eligible to claim it this year on my taxes.
I don't know an accountant to ask this question, so I figured I'd ask on here and see if anyone knew from past experience. Thanks :)

I'm positive it's April 15. I just bought a laptop too and that's how I'm doing it.

taxesyou put in all of your deductions for pamperedchef from Jan. 1, 2005 to the last day in Dec 2005 This Jan 1 2006 starts a new year to claim your taxes . you file your taxes by April 15th . You can find more info in your KCN and also on PC website I think there is a download on taxes

What is a "New Computer - Tax Deduction"?

A "New Computer - Tax Deduction" refers to the potential tax benefits that may be available for individuals or businesses who purchase a new computer for work-related purposes.

Who is eligible for the "New Computer - Tax Deduction"?

Individuals and businesses who use their computer primarily for work-related purposes may be eligible for the "New Computer - Tax Deduction". This may include self-employed individuals, freelancers, and small business owners.

What types of computers are eligible for the deduction?

In order to qualify for the "New Computer - Tax Deduction", the computer must be used primarily for work-related purposes. This can include desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and other devices that are necessary for performing work-related tasks.

How much of the computer's cost can be deducted?

The amount that can be deducted for a new computer will vary depending on the individual or business's specific tax situation. Generally, the cost of the computer can be deducted as a business expense, which may reduce the overall taxable income.

What documentation is needed to claim the deduction?

In order to claim the "New Computer - Tax Deduction", individuals and businesses will need to provide documentation that proves the computer was purchased for work-related purposes. This may include receipts, invoices, and other records that show the date and cost of the computer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• monica_sweetconsultant
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
monica_sweetconsultant
  • kayleigh
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • lisaterwilliger