• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Welcome to Taste of Home's Direct Sales Company!

In summary, the new competition is Taste of Home and they have a new Direct Sales Company. The website is up and running, but it does not tell enough. The program kicks off next month, so things could change. Mario Batali is an endorsement for their products. PC is already carrying around too much, and adding glassware, silverware, and serving dishes for buffets to the mix would be too much.
ddcook
Hi Ya'll

Not sure if you've heard, so I thought I'd pass the word along... we have some new competition starting next month. Taste of Home is launching a new Direct Sales Company. Their website is up and running. You can even sign up for a starter kit. More expensive than PC, but I don't know what it includes. The website has a lot of teasers, leaving you wanting to know more, but it doesn't tell enough. Looks like the program kicks off next month, so things could change tomorrow. I also found it interesting that they have a chef (Mario Batali - TV Food network) endorsed line of products. Wonder if PC has thought about that. And they offer a larger variety of items. Carrying around PC products to shows is heavy now. Could you imagine adding glassware, silverware, and serving dishes for buffets to the mix? Uuuf!

Let's get Emeril!!!! He's the best! BAM!

Hey there!I don't endorse carrying around too much.

1. The customers won't might be consultants in the future might think it to be too much/too heavy.

2. My shows are already top in my cluster and I bring what I have to, and a few extras.

3. New products get shown at my open house 2x per year.

4. I will ask the host if there is something specific a customer wants to see.

5. I have brought more in the past, but found it didn't bring my sales up.

6. Pampered Chef has an excellent return policy if they don't like it.

ddcook said:
Hi Ya'll

Not sure if you've heard, so I thought I'd pass the word along... we have some new competition starting next month. Taste of Home is launching a new Direct Sales Company. Their website is up and running. You can even sign up for a starter kit. More expensive than PC, but I don't know what it includes. The website has a lot of teasers, leaving you wanting to know more, but it doesn't tell enough. Looks like the program kicks off next month, so things could change tomorrow. I also found it interesting that they have a chef (Mario Batali - TV Food network) endorsed line of products. Wonder if PC has thought about that. And they offer a larger variety of items. Carrying around PC products to shows is heavy now. Could you imagine adding glassware, silverware, and serving dishes for buffets to the mix? Uuuf!

Ok, I guess I am just a dork, but I went to Tast of Home website and didn't see anything about it. Where do I find it? :eek:

WebsiteI found the website...it is www.entertainingathome.com. The company does have appeal, but some of it seems a little frivolous for the average person. These are not products that you need in your home. Not everyone can afford to purchase things exclusively for entertaining. The company seems to be a cross between PC and Southern Living. It would be great to get in on the ground floor of a company, but I will pass on this opportunity. I am impressed every day with the company that we work for and even though I didn't start my business at 25 years ago, I know that I can still achieve anything I want to in this company. Take a look at the website if you are curious, but don't forget about all of the wonderful products and services that we are offering. I for one am not intimidated bu this new competition!!!

I know the company you are talking about. somehow one lady got my email addy and phone number and called me trying to recruit me. The kit is like $250!! I told her i wasnt interested and would never leave PC!! just didnt seem like as good of a deal as PC was!! but i do think the competiton will be tough. they carry food products, linens, cookware, gadgets, etc. but we are better so dont worry about it :cool:

monica_sweetconsultant said:
I know the company you are talking about. somehow one lady got my email addy and phone number and called me trying to recruit me.
They found my email address from somewhere and tried to recruit me too. Thank goodness they never called me!

This actually went out in my Directors loop recently. They contacted a lot of us I guess.

The Nerve!!!!Did you all check out their website and read the Answer/Question section about signing up to sell? The question was "Do I have to cook at parties?" The answer was "No, it's 2006, not 1986! Our beautiful catalog tells the story". :eek: I was very offended.

I just read the same thing and my first thought was the cooking demo was a fun part of the show. I wouldnt want to do a show and not demonstrate how things work. People buy what you show, I dont think my sales would be as good without a cooking demo. Just my opinion

I was contacted by them too. Chances are they got our email addresses from this site! I also heard that Rachael Ray is behind them somehow. Maybe she's just endorsed them like Mario. I think it's incredibly tough to start up a direct sales company. There are hundreds that have attempted a start up and fizzled out. I guess we'll see if this one lasts. The true test will be if the company has staying power. Although it seems like there may be some overlap, I can't imagine we'll be affected.

Definitely I can't imagine carrying all that stuff to shows! I'm sure they won't have as cool of a "Show to Go" system. It definitely wouldn't be as reasonably priced. :)

Taste of Home is trying to give everyone competion not just PC. Which is why they have a little of almost everything in the line. Their starter kit is $199 not $250. But for most of us here not appealling. They do offer a small line of cooking things, but it is mainly arty things like Southern Living. There "tagline" for right now is PC meets William Sonma and Pottery Barn meets Southern Living. I did some research on the company when I got my invite to join.
They don't cook because that would only cover one small section of there catalog. They don't open for sales until May of this year, but are at almost 3,000 consultants already!!

I think this one is here to stay though. Bill Shaw the same man who helped launched Sourthern Living at home, left his spot as co owner to start his own company. Plus they have some big name endorsements.

Last edited:
I wonder if any PC consultants took the bait and joined :confused: Hope not!

I lost my Director and Executive Director to this company. A headhunting agency contacted my Ex. Director and told her she could bring 3 people with her. She took my director (who was an Advanced) and an Advanced in Houston, TX and another in Austin, TX. My Ex. Direc. left a 6 figure income with PC to join. I know they must have promised her something because that is just plain crazy to me!

Anyway...I know way more than I wish to about this company. I think the way they have started off by recruiting top people from exisiting companies is shady and not to be respected. It is sad to be in my business without the friend I had in my Director. We still talk, but it is weird. Like I said to her when she asked if I was mad at her, "I love you so I wish you all the success in the world, but I also wish you would fall on your face because I am hurt." We laughed, but those were my honest feelings.

It may do well because it is backed by TV Guide or some big magazine and several top celebrities from the Food Network, but they also have to bring it with the products, service and affordability. I wouldn't worry ladies. Just keep doing your business like they don't even exist. How often do you think a customer will bring it up?

The reason directors are leaving for this new company is that they are basically already National Senior Executive directors for the company. Well the initial 2,000+ who joined before open enrollment started. You get incredible bonuses. You only need 3 consultants to be a director. 5 to be top of the line. However they are almost at their 3,000 initial recruits, after that it will be put on hold till after the company opens for business. 3,000 is the cut off mark until August. Those people in the top get recruits handed to them.

No I'm not saying go rush out and join this company instead. I just did ALOT of research to see what company was best for me. So outside of new information that came out since I made my choice. I know almost everything about this company. :eek:

Chef Kearns said:
I lost my Director and Executive Director to this company. A headhunting agency contacted my Ex. Director and told her she could bring 3 people with her. She took my director (who was an Advanced) and an Advanced in Houston, TX and another in Austin, TX. My Ex. Direc. left a 6 figure income with PC to join. I know they must have promised her something because that is just plain crazy to me!

Anyway...I know way more than I wish to about this company. I think the way they have started off by recruiting top people from exisiting companies is shady and not to be respected. It is sad to be in my business without the friend I had in my Director. We still talk, but it is weird. Like I said to her when she asked if I was mad at her, "I love you so I wish you all the success in the world, but I also wish you would fall on your face because I am hurt." We laughed, but those were my honest feelings.

It may do well because it is backed by TV Guide or some big magazine and several top celebrities from the Food Network, but they also have to bring it with the products, service and affordability. I wouldn't worry ladies. Just keep doing your business like they don't even exist. How often do you think a customer will bring it up?
Wow, that's amazing that your Exec. Director left! And the others. Wow, that does seem crazy to me. I can understand your feelings on this. Who was your Exec Director? Now who do you fall under? It will be interesting to see what happens with this company. I hope directors who choose to go to this company don't try to actively recruit their downline.

I do see it as a bummer for them to be recruiting the top performers, but then again, that's probably what they think they need to do for it to be a successful company. When I emailed them back to say "no thanks" I got no further emails. If they kept pestering me, then I would have thought that was shady.

But, like I said before, I really don't see this company having an impact on us at all. :)

Becky--I would rather not say who my Exec. was on the forum, but send me a private message and I'll tell you. I am now under Shan Eisler a Senior Executive Director. She is an awesome Director. She has alot of great information to share. She has inherited a HUGE team, but she lost alot of Directors as well. So this has shaken up her structure a good deal.

My Exec. has been sent legal directives from PC because she actively recruited from her downline (which is against the rules) and because there was a 2 year non-compete clause in her Director agreement. Our Directors are not supposed to try to take us with them if they decide to leave. Many of their downlines would probably join them just because of loyalty or whatever even without them asking.

My experience in business over the years has taught me a few lessons that fly in the face of this start-up.

1) You cannot be all things to all people.

2) Go with what works. Automobile sales requires a test drive. Selling a television requires seeing it plugged in and working. Food companies send demonstrators into grocery stores to get you to taste their product for a reason - tasting is believing. Cooking works best to demo cooking tools - DUH. Even some department stores have set up demo kitchens, with overhead mirrors, because they know it's the sizzle, and not a picture of it, that sells the steak.

3) Know your product. Today's consumer, more than ever, wants to know everything about a product before they plunk down their credit card. Walk into a department store housewares department or to Williams Sonoma sometime and eavesdrop on a sales rep. Better, pretend to be shopping for high end cookware. If this new company has consultants as knowledgeable as the typical retail clerk, you'll have no problem competing with them if you know your product.

4) If a catalog tells all the story needed to be told, why did Montgomery Ward, Spiegel and Penny's dry up? While Lands' End, Sharper Image, Levenger and others are making it in mail order with catalogs, each one is in a niche. See #1 above. (By the way, I shop the Lands' End outlet stores - I like to try things on before I buy them!)

We are also in a niche, and the marketing genius behind Pampered Chef has always been to cater to that niche. The Pampered Chef makes it a point to stay out of markets that aren't part of the core competency of the company. I can just imagine the hand-wringing that goes on each time the Super-Swat* comes and goes from the catalog. :rolleyes:

People like to touch and feel a product before buying it, if they can. We supply that part of the market demand. We all try to carry the minimum amount of product that we can to a given show, but there are certain "pet" items that we all take with us, because we know someone is going to want to see them ~ then buy them.

We'll keep doing what we do best and as a result, I see no reason to panic over this new competitor.

Bring 'em on! :cool:

* Note to Doris if you're monitoring this site: Leave the Super-Swat in the line once and for all, will you? A little lightheartedness always helps a show!

Nicely said. I liked that. :)

Me TooI was contacted becuase "I was a male." They said the owner came from Southern Living. He wanted to start his own business. This was back in Nov, so they said I would be on the top of the top level.

I turned them down, because I too have to go with what works for me, not just the income. I never would have done TPC unless it fit me. When I saw these products and it fit with my cooking background, I said, Sign Me Up!

What I saw on their website didn't thrill me. I'm not about vases and rod iron hangy things. I'm about making the kitchen a place that works for people!

It was a little tempting tho. The other thing that kept me was the 25 year history of TPC. This new company has none of that. They are the new kid on the block, even if they are taking people from other businesses. What is their delivery system like. What about their manufacturers? You know questions like that our customers are SOLD on TPC.

So I stayed.

It is common in industry for headhunters and recruiters to "steal" people from other businesses. It is not illegal although the methods used can sometimes be unethical. The directors who left and took some of their downline would be in this category.

Most people leave a current position because they want to grow, be challenged, earn more money, or gain a different level of experience. This is a very common practice in manufacturing.

Director's agreement
Happy Mom said:
It is common in industry for headhunters and recruiters to "steal" people from other businesses. It is not illegal although the methods used can sometimes be unethical. The directors who left and took some of their downline would be in this category.

Most people leave a current position because they want to grow, be challenged, earn more money, or gain a different level of experience. This is a very common practice in manufacturing.

It may not be "illegal"; however, they did break their Director's agreement that they signed. When you accept Directorship you have to sign an agreement stating that if you do move to another company, you can not take your downline with you. So the Pampered Chef does have a foot to stand on in a court of law, if they choose to.

I agree with you about the downline. You are correct about the director's agreement. However, I was referring to the direct incentive to the directors from the other company, not their downline, being legal. The non-compete clause is the one that it is hard to prove in court.

Sorry, if I was unclear.

I went to their website but I could not find anything on them looking for consultants. I see cooking school info but that is it.

SpammingIt's come to my attention that there are SEVERAL people out there that are visiting this board, collecting emails, and then spamming people with recruiting emails. (How do I know...it's happened to me...3 times!)

I just wanted to tell you this is AGAINST Taste of Home Entertaining policy. I am both a PC and a TOHE consultant...there's nothing wrong with being both. What is wrong is using this board for unwanted solicitation for another company...SO if you get an unwanted, unsolicited spam email from a TOHE consultant, feel free to forward it to [email protected].

What these people are doing casts both TOHE consultants the the company in a negative light. Please know that this type of activity is NOT condoned by the company and will be dealt with if reported.

Thank you,
Sandy

Its not just on this site. I am a member of several yahoo groups that are suppose to be for consultants only. But since TOH is recruiting PC consultants they are posting recruiting information for TOH on the PC group boards. I received a posting this morning from The Pampered Chef Resources group. I don't have a problem with recruiting other PC consultants, but it seems to me it would be better to just post a "I have a great opportunity...for more info email me privately" type of post and not post all the details on the groups/sites. I personally am an Arbonne consultant, but would never openly recruit on the PC boards. Obviously this is a personal issue that each person will feel differently about. This just happens to be my opinion. I wish you all the best of luck with your new venture.

Thank You!!
ChefSandyK said:
It's come to my attention that there are SEVERAL people out there that are visiting this board, collecting emails, and then spamming people with recruiting emails. (How do I know...it's happened to me...3 times!)

I just wanted to tell you this is AGAINST Taste of Home Entertaining policy. I am both a PC and a TOHE consultant...there's nothing wrong with being both. What is wrong is using this board for unwanted solicitation for another company...SO if you get an unwanted, unsolicited spam email from a TOHE consultant, feel free to forward it to [email protected].

What these people are doing casts both TOHE consultants the the company in a negative light. Please know that this type of activity is NOT condoned by the company and will be dealt with if reported.

Thank you,
Sandy

Sandy,

Thank you so much for that information! I have received 8, YES EIGHT, e-mails regarding TOHE! :mad: So it has definately put a bad taste in my mouth concerning TOHE.

And you are so right about there being nothing wrong with selling both products; however, I do want you to know that if choose to promote with Pampered Chef you will not be able to continue to sell both products. Upon promotion of Director, you are not allowed to sell ANY other products according to your Director's Agreement you sign.

Thank you again for shedding some light on all of the spam I have been receiving! :)

Yes, I think I lost count at 5 as to how many emails I've received from various TOHE charter consulants.

fruit76loop said:
Sandy,

Thank you so much for that information! I have received 8, YES EIGHT, e-mails regarding TOHE! :mad: So it has definately put a bad taste in my mouth concerning TOHE.

And you are so right about there being nothing wrong with selling both products; however, I do want you to know that if choose to promote with Pampered Chef you will not be able to continue to sell both products. Upon promotion of Director, you are not allowed to sell ANY other products according to your Director's Agreement you sign.

Thank you again for shedding some light on all of the spam I have been receiving! :)

You're welcome for the information. I did know that about becoming a director with TPC...but I don't think I will every have to worry about that...lol. My frustration with TPC's director promotion policy was what made me interested in TOHE in the first place. (And I will start as a director with TOHE, so it is sort of a no-brainer choice for me.) Again, I am not trying to condemn TPC...I love the products and enjoy being a consultant. I just wanted a bit more potential for growth...

In any case, please don't let the actions of a few misguided individuals color your perception of the company. I can assure you that the HO takes professionalism very seriously and has already addressed the issue several times as the need has arisen...and promises that it will continue to do so with consultants that violate the policy.

Have a great day,
Sandy

I would double check if I were you. I joined TOHE and was told I couldn't do both even at the consultant level. It is considered "moonlighting" is what I was told.
I wish the the best either way.

bbauman07 said:
I would double check if I were you. I joined TOHE and was told I couldn't do both even at the consultant level. It is considered "moonlighting" is what I was told.
I wish the the best either way.

Brooke, I'm not sure if you're saying it's against PC policy or against TOHE policy. PC does not ask consultants to sign a no-compete agreement until they become directors...which is definitely not my situation. As for TOHE, I specifically asked Craig Vinopal from HO about no-compete clauses and his answer was that they did not have them...not for consultants, not for directors. It is the company's belief that you work for them because you want to and that should be enough...where did you get your information?

Have a great day,
Sandy

My neighbor left her Southern Living business for the TOHE boat. She's incredibly enthusiastic about it and, of course, shared it with me back in December. I was intrigued by the business model and the growth potential, but had to decline because I just couldn't get behind the product line like I can with TPC.

I've now seen the catalog for TOHE. It's beautiful, no doubt. Unfortunately, for me, there's nothing in it that fits my lifestyle. TPC MUCH better fits me. Even so, I'm planning to host a show for my neighbor to help her launch into her new business. I will also share the catalog and information with whomever seems interested. After all, not everyone is suited to TPC. ;)

Hopefully we'll all be able to peacfully coexist when the dust settles. :)

I agree!At least at our shows guests get to see/smell/taste :)

jenniferlynne said:
Did you all check out their website and read the Answer/Question section about signing up to sell? The question was "Do I have to cook at parties?" The answer was "No, it's 2006, not 1986! Our beautiful catalog tells the story". :eek: I was very offended.

ChefSandyK said:
Brooke, I'm not sure if you're saying it's against PC policy or against TOHE policy. PC does not ask consultants to sign a no-compete agreement until they become directors...which is definitely not my situation. As for TOHE, I specifically asked Craig Vinopal from HO about no-compete clauses and his answer was that they did not have them...not for consultants, not for directors. It is the company's belief that you work for them because you want to and that should be enough...where did you get your information?

Have a great day,
Sandy

I got the info from my former upline of TOHE, but I was sent info to join long before all the "rules" had been to the lawyers. Again Sandy I wish you the best of luck with both, TOHE has a great line!!

bbauman07 said:
I got the info from my former upline of TOHE, but I was sent info to join long before all the "rules" had been to the lawyers. Again Sandy I wish you the best of luck with both, TOHE has a great line!!

It does have a great line...but it certainly isn't for everyone. Unlike everyone else, I DON'T see PC and TOHE as competing with each other...at least not anymore than, say, Tupperware or Southern Living at Home complete. In my mind, PC is WONDERFUL for the tools needed to make any type of food you can imagine. TOHE has the tools to use AFTER you've made the food (plus the decor, etc.) I don't see it as an "either/or" thing at all...and am happy to do both! I'm looking forward to loving my cooking shows...and loving the "break" that doing shows requiring no demo/clean-up gives me in between. (Plus, since TOHE never kicks you out...even when you're inactive, it will be easy to put it on the back burner during those months that my PC business keeps me as busy as I'd like to be. :D )

Have a great day.

pamperedbecky said:
I was contacted by them too. Chances are they got our email addresses from this site! I also heard that Rachael Ray is behind them somehow. Maybe she's just endorsed them like Mario. I think it's incredibly tough to start up a direct sales company. There are hundreds that have attempted a start up and fizzled out. I guess we'll see if this one lasts. The true test will be if the company has staying power. Although it seems like there may be some overlap, I can't imagine we'll be affected.

Definitely I can't imagine carrying all that stuff to shows! I'm sure they won't have as cool of a "Show to Go" system. It definitely wouldn't be as reasonably priced. :)
I think you can get ANYONE to endorse you if you pay them enough! Rachel Ray is/was going to do some stuff for a close friend of my wife that happens to own Lustre Craft Cookware. They have a fantastic product but it is extremely expensive. We have a set thats over 25 years old and looks like new. I was offered a position selling Lustre Craft and chose The Pampered Chef instead. The Bible says that a good name is more valuable than riches and I think that applies to Business as well as person. I will put PC up against ANYBODY out there. This is truly a remarkable company built on love and integrity. And it got that way without Mario!

Dannyp said:
This is truly a remarkable company built on love and integrity. And it got that way without Mario!

GREAT POINT!!! :D

Yep...I got an email trying to recruit me too! That's so strange that so many of us were getting them!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cindycooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Harrle
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • lt1jane
  • General Chat
Replies