• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Never Thought I'd Be Asking...but

In summary, Ginger's 13 year old Beagle is having Kidney failure, but recently got a really bad infection. She's been in the hospital since Friday night and they are flushing her and feeding her intravenus but she hasn't eaten in 4 days. Everyone at the hospital is VERY hopeful.
Ginger428
Gold Member
Right now my little 13 year old Beagle Kacy (theres a pic of her in my album) well shes been having Kidney failure for awhile, but recently she got a really bad infection & is having a terrible time trying to get rid of it! Shes been in the hospital since Friday night & they are flushing her & feeding her intraveinus but she has not eaten in 4 days. Everyone at the hospital is VERY hopeful. I know I'll never have her back for long but If I can;t have her back I just want her to go in her sleep. I really don't want to be the one to tell them to put her to sleep....:(. If you just want to say something in private & not reply to this I totally understand. Thank you for listening to me.

Ginger,
I hope things go as you wish. I had to make that decision once and it's harder than a non-petlover can imagine.. Keep your chin up.

I had dreams for a long time about my dog coming back and talking to me! They were always words of comfort and love. I didn't feel guilty for having her put to sleep because a) she was REALLY sick
b) it wasn't my choice - I was 18, and my dad took her to the vet and had to make the decision and felt it was better to just have it done and over with.

Anyway, in the dreams John (that was her name) always would explain to me the right thing was done, and she was/is happy.

On March 6th my parents had to put their 16yo border collie to sleep. It's hard, I miss her so much!

God bless to you and your family

I'll pray for your sweet Beagle Kacy - My cat Colibri (who passed away 8 years ago) was sick and wouldn't eat for months without me literally having to feed her with a syringe of baby food and she actually rebounded and was with us another year (was suffering from cancer) so there is definitely hope out there for you and your beagle. I will pray for a happy outcome for her and your family.

Oh Ginger, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It is so horribly hard. They are our 4-legged babies and it's so hard when they are that sick. It's never easy making that horribly tough decision...but you'll know if/when it comes to that. And remember, they ARE part of the family and tears are normal.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I'll be going to see her in a few hours & I'll keep you up on how its going. Again thank you SO much.

That can be so hard. I've prayed that God will comfort your family.

All pet lovers can sympathize with you. Our pets need us to speak for them sometimes -- don't be afraid of being the one to make the decision. Our pets will love us forever. I'm so sorry you are going through this -- my eyes are "raining" as my grandson said.

So sorry to hear you are going through this. As for being the one to make the decision and let the vet know, when I had to do this last time, my husband was the one to stand in for me. Do you have anyone who could be that person for you?

It's so hard to see a pet suffer. I'll be praying for you and Kacy. I know how hard it was for both DH and myself when it was our "baby". (our Shih Tzu, Chelsie....)

Thank you SO much for your support. Just got back from visiting with her for 2 hours! Everyone agrees she looks better today, they finally got the urine culture & now that they know what it is they can treat her with proper meds that won't affect her kidneys!! But they said it will take a day or 2, they also told me she is not suffering. Right now she just needs to EAT!! I'm going back again later & try more different foods...

Again thank you for your prayers!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Kacy, Ginger. I hope she starts eating again real soon! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}.

We had to put our precious poodle, Prince, to sleep 12 years ago. My Mom was dying of cancer and Prince had gotten Parvo. The vet did all she could but he was 11 and couldn't bounce back. My Mom died 6 weeks later... My DD had had our Prince since she was 3 and losing him was hard enough without losing Maw too! HUGS!

13 years with the same dog is a feat in itself! im so glad to hear she isnt suffering. the vets will tell you if she is & if its her time to go. i know i love my little beagle & shes only 6 months old & cant imagine making that call. prayers for serenity and guidance for you & your family.

We had to have our Sadie put to sleep last April and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I still miss her terribly but i know it was the right thing to do - she had been in heart failure for several months and the medication was simply not doing it's job anymore. It was harder because she had good days and bad days and the day we took her happened to be a good day. I wondered several times over the last year if I could have kept her with me longer but I know that she was hurting and there was no real choice that could have helped. I just realized as I typed this that it will be a year this week, and while I'm sad all my memories of her are good. She was with us for 12 years and was the best dog a person could ask for. Cherish your memories and know that your choices are in your pets best interests.

Once again, thank you SO much. Right now my heart & I know Kacys as well are filled with love from all you wonderful people. I'll update again tonight after I see her again.

How fabulous that they know the problem and can make her feel better.

Sorry I did not update last night, but I'm SO mentally drained! Shes looking & acting SO much better, but still has not eaten. We get a little in her here & there. She comes right over to the food & shows interest. Everyone at the vets told me to hang in there so thats what I'm doing. Thanks again everyone...I keep you all posted.

{{{{{Hugs}}}} I am praying for you and it looks like things are getting better!! It's never easy making that tough decision!!

Ginger428 said:
Sorry I did not update last night, but I'm SO mentally drained! Shes looking & acting SO much better, but still has not eaten. We get a little in her here & there. She comes right over to the food & shows interest. Everyone at the vets told me to hang in there so thats what I'm doing. Thanks again everyone...I keep you all posted.

I lost my 13 yo bassett Tracker in November. We estimated him to be 13. We got him at the local animal shelter and he was the best dog/friend we ever had. I would even play hide-and-seek with him!
I got him for my husband because he loves bassetts but he ended up being MY dog. Where ever I was, is where he was! If I was in the kitchen, he was in the kitchen. If I was on the computer, he was under the desk at my feet!
I still miss him a lot and I know what you're going through. He was back and forth to the doctor several times before he died. I think his kidneys failed on the last day. He died just before I got home from work on the day before Thanksgiving.

sorry this is so long... I guess I just needed to write (and cry). :cry:

caraighan said:
I lost my 13 yo bassett Tracker in November. We estimated him to be 13. We got him at the local animal shelter and he was the best dog/friend we ever had. I would even play hide-and-seek with him!
I got him for my husband because he loves bassetts but he ended up being MY dog. Where ever I was, is where he was! If I was in the kitchen, he was in the kitchen. If I was on the computer, he was under the desk at my feet!
I still miss him a lot and I know what you're going through. He was back and forth to the doctor several times before he died. I think his kidneys failed on the last day. He died just before I got home from work on the day before Thanksgiving.

sorry this is so long... I guess I just needed to write (and cry). :cry:

Thank you SO much for sharing! I saw her today & she looks SO great!! You can tell she wants to go home. BUT she STILL has not eaten! She comes right over to the food, looks,smells & then walks away. Everyone there says she'll stop being nausaus (sp?) when her (I have NO shot at spelling this but its pronounced Cre at nee level ) goes down. I'm going back again around 4 so I'll hopefully have good news.

I forgot to mention, shes walking all over the place & we go outside for an hour or so. Thanks again :)

I am so sorry you and your family have to go through this. I know how you feel and have been there myself. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

I missed this thread Ginger but you know that I am sending huge {{{hugs}}} and love to you and your baby!!!

Ginger428 said:
Thank you SO much for sharing! I saw her today & she looks SO great!! You can tell she wants to go home. BUT she STILL has not eaten! She comes right over to the food, looks,smells & then walks away. Everyone there says she'll stop being nausaus (sp?) when her (I have NO shot at spelling this but its pronounced Cre at nee level ) goes down. I'm going back again around 4 so I'll hopefully have good news.

I forgot to mention, shes walking all over the place & we go outside for an hour or so. Thanks again :)

Glad to hear she is walking around and such. (BTW it's Creatinine level.) Hope she eats soon and hope you have more good news soon!

rennea said:
I missed this thread Ginger but you know that I am sending huge {{{hugs}}} and love to you and your baby!!!

Geekgirl69 said:
Glad to hear she is walking around and such. (BTW it's Creatinine level.) Hope she eats soon and hope you have more good news soon!

Rennea, I know you are & thanks! :D

Lynda, I knew you would know how to spell it..;)

Well latest update,
She still has not eaten on her own. She will let me put Vanilla pudding under her lip & licks it off. Also she drank water on her OWN!! Her Creatinine level keeps going down & she may be able to come home by the week end. Just wish she would eat...:(

Again, thanks for all the hugs & prayers & wishes....
Will report back later! :)

Ginger428 said:
Rennea, I know you are & thanks! :D

Lynda, I knew you would know how to spell it..;)

Well latest update,
She still has not eaten on her own. She will let me put Vanilla pudding under her lip & licks it off. Also she drank water on her OWN!! Her Creatinine level keeps going down & she may be able to come home by the week end. Just wish she would eat...:(

Again, thanks for all the hugs & prayers & wishes....
Will report back later! :)

So good to hear she is still progressing! Drinking is more important than eating, so it's good that she is drinking on her own. Hopefully she'll be home very soon!

When my mom's dog wasn't eating, my mom tried all sorts of things. Peanut butter and ham sandwiches became the only thing she would eat.

Well Kacy is looking better & better BUT still won't eat!! Shes drinking water & they started force feeding her yesterday. I weighed her yesterday & through all of this she has only lost 1 lb. Dr. Gross thinks maybe we'll try taking her home for a day & she what happens. Thanks again for all your prayers & wishes. I'll get back later....

Oh Ginger, I don't know how I missed this. I'm sorry! It sounds like she's doing a little better but I'll still keep her in my prayers!!!

Good luck!

PampMomof3 said:
Oh Ginger, I don't know how I missed this. I'm sorry! It sounds like she's doing a little better but I'll still keep her in my prayers!!!

Good luck!

Thank you...
I've got to get ready to go see her.

OK...Update!!

Little Kacy is home!! They think that maybe her being home will get her to eat. She went right for her water dish, but no food...:(. I'll keep trying & get back! Thanks again for all you paryers & good wishes. :)

Thanks for the update! DH just asked about her this morning :) I'm sure when she gets settled back in she will eat.

Maybe tonight have a sit down with her and share some cheese and a little bit of ham with her. Cut it up real small. If she sees you eating it she may chow down!!

rennea said:
Thanks for the update! DH just asked about her this morning :) I'm sure when she gets settled back in she will eat.

Maybe tonight have a sit down with her and share some cheese and a little bit of ham with her. Cut it up real small. If she sees you eating it she may chow down!!

Thanks Rennea,
so far no good, but it looks like shes getting more comfortable...since she was 5 months ( 1 night to get spayed) she has never been away from home. So I'm sure she is also confused. I'll check back here later.

Sorry, I have not been back sooner, but I wanted to wait for something good....
Well....She Ate!!!! :D
I guess she didn't like the force feeding!! Shes still a little weak & I have to take her everyday to get her fluids, But shes just doing SO well I had to share! Thanks again for all the wishes & prayers. Bless you all! :angel:

Ginger428 said:
I guess she didn't like the force feeding!! Shes still a little weak & I have to take her everyday to get her fluids, But shes just doing SO well I had to share! Thanks again for all the wishes & prayers. Bless you all! :angel:

YAHOOOOO!

So glad she's eating on her own - I know that is a huge weight off your shoulders!

ChefBeckyD said:
YAHOOOOO!

So glad she's eating on her own - I know that is a huge weight off your shoulders!

Thanks Becky!! :D

GREAT NEWS Ginger!!!:)

Wonderful news, Ginger! Hopefully Kacy will gain her strength back real soon.

That's great news.

Ginger428 said:

That's good to hear, Ginger! :D

Thanks Sue, hope all is well with you....

Glad to see that she ate! Awesome!

Thanks Lynda!

Thanks for the update and I'm glad she is doing better. Giver her a scratch behind the ears for me :)

rennea said:
Thanks for the update and I'm glad she is doing better. Giver her a scratch behind the ears for me :)

Doing it as we speak....;)

That's great news!!

Just wanted to update...
Shes doing well, still needs her fluids everyday & her anti biotics to get rid of her infection...lol, we ordered Chinese & she almost knocked the guy over wanting the food!! :eek:. OK gonna go eat.
I'll be back....;)

<h2>1. Can my 13 year old beagle recover from kidney failure?</h2><p>It is possible for a dog to recover from kidney failure, but it depends on the severity of the condition and how well it is managed. Your veterinarian will be able to provide more information and guidance on your specific situation.</p><h2>2. How long has your dog been in the hospital?</h2><p>My dog has been in the hospital since Friday night.</p><h2>3. Is there hope for your dog's recovery?</h2><p>Yes, the hospital staff is very hopeful and doing everything they can to help my dog recover.</p><h2>4. Has your dog been eating while in the hospital?</h2><p>No, my dog has not been eating for four days now. She is being fed intravenously.</p><h2>5. Do you want to be the one to make the decision to put your dog to sleep?</h2><p>I am struggling with the decision to put my dog to sleep, but ultimately I want what is best for her and for her to go peacefully.</p>

1. Can my 13 year old beagle recover from kidney failure?

It is possible for a dog to recover from kidney failure, but it depends on the severity of the condition and how well it is managed. Your veterinarian will be able to provide more information and guidance on your specific situation.

2. How long has your dog been in the hospital?

My dog has been in the hospital since Friday night.

3. Is there hope for your dog's recovery?

Yes, the hospital staff is very hopeful and doing everything they can to help my dog recover.

4. Has your dog been eating while in the hospital?

No, my dog has not been eating for four days now. She is being fed intravenously.

5. Do you want to be the one to make the decision to put your dog to sleep?

I am struggling with the decision to put my dog to sleep, but ultimately I want what is best for her and for her to go peacefully.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • Lisa/ChefBear