• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Inspirational Story of Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent 2009

In summary, Susan Boyle, a middle-aged Scots woman, with a beautiful voice, was humiliated by a rude crowd and shocked by the judges' reaction to her audition. However, thanks to the internet, millions of people have heard her sing.
I just did a mini-rant about this on FB:
I keep seeing footage of Susan Boyle, the Scots woman with the beautiful voice. Now, I can understand people's surprise that any undiscovered person would have such a phenomenal voice. The woman can truly sing with the voice of an angel. I'm glad she's getting some attention after so many years of taking care of her mom. (If you haven't seen any of the footage, she's in her mid-40s. She never married. She's never even been kissed.)Two things are really bothering me about this whole thing, though. First, the crowd was incredibly rude before she started singing. Really, has the world (this was in Scotland, not the USA) become such an inconsiderate place? Does no one have common decency anymore? What happened to treating others the way we would like to be treated?The second is the way this is being reported. Reporters seem shocked that such a beautiful voice would come from someone who doesn't look beautiful by their standards. What? Only pretty people can sing?Now that I think about it, this is probably one problem, not two. If she'd been a Beyonce (or Rhiana, or Jay-Lo, or whoever) look-alike, would she have been treated so badly? Would the press have been so surprised? Sadly, I don't think so.

I wasn't making fun of her Rae. I wanted to make a point about how many of us tend to prejudge and how it only hurts us in the longrun. I know I had a huge eye-opener the first time I went to conference and saw consultants (many of whom are extremely successful) from all walks of like, shapes, sizes, and ethinc origins.

I presumed that everyone was so shocked because her beautiful voice had not been heard before - how do you have an instrument like that and no-one know about it? As far as her looks go, usually the people who are unpretty by society's standards are the ones who also cannot sing and who the producers love to exploit on TV.

Oh, please don't misunderstand, Linda. I never thought at all that you were making fun of her. My rant was in response to the media's coverage. I knew you were just pointing out that we never know where we might find that next beautiful recruit, host, or friend.

Wow! I LOVED the look on Simon's and Pierce's faces when she started singing...and throughout. (The one scene of Simon holding his face in his hands- he looked like he was in love!) *lol*Priceless.

That was beautiful, thanks for sharing it Linda!

WONDERFUL!!! :cool:

Seriously brought tears to my eyes - remarkable talent that had gone unnoticed till now - I pray she gets the recognition she deserves and then some!!!!

AND I agree Linda - I was told long ago when I was a child, never prejudge or judge a book by its cover - just because some one walks the walk and talks the talk doesn't make them any better then anyone else........and visa versa!

I watched the entire segment on YouTube this mornind. Her beautiful voice & personality made me cry!!

It was on the news this morning and my DH and I both watched it, she is very talented!!

I teared up both times I watched this yesterday. What got me even more than the 4000 people rising to their feet and applauding and cheering Susan throughout the song was her humility. She fulfilled her dream - to sing in front of a large audience. When she was done, she started to walk off the stage, I believe because she had no further expectations or hopes. She was completely shocked that she was chosen to go further in the competition, and by the judges' response to her.

Now, thanks to the internet, she not only sang in front of that audience, but MILLIONS of people have heard her sing, and that was just her audition!!

BTW, from what I understand the YouTube view is simply a wonderful snippet of the show. I can't really do YouTube because of my dial-up connection. So, while I've seen the whole thing (as far as I know) that's shown on YouTube, I'm reacting to the comments of the news people (local and national) before and after showing the clip. Her performance is inspiring and beautiful.

Rae...you gotta got DSL or cable girlfriend!

I am awed at her humility, and quirkiness. Did you see how she was shaking in the back-stage interview? She is adorable and I bet a hoot to be around (However, I would love to tackle those eyebrows of hers though ;) ) Can you just imagine how much fun she would be at a Pampered Chef party!

I agree it is just amazing and brought tears to my eyes too.

StacieB said:
I agree it is just amazing and brought tears to my eyes too.

I showed it to my DH - he got teary too.

How amazing! It brought tears to my eyes when she was so surprised at their "yes's". What an amazing person!

Turn on NBC Today show NOW!!!! She's on

Sorry, Linda. I'm just too darned cheap to pay the cost for DSL. No cable available here in the geographical center of nowhere.

pamperedlinda said:
Turn on NBC Today show NOW!!!! She's on

Darn, I didn't see this till just now. What did they do? Did they have her sing again, or just show the clip and interview her?

Ugg, I just went on today.msnbc and they have an article about her on there. This is the final statement of the article:In Blackburn, her neighbors are rooting for her.“We’re very proud of her,” said Angela McKenna, 22. “But we can’t understand why she didn’t at least put a comb through her hair before she went on TV.”How rude!!!!

babywings76 said:
Darn, I didn't see this till just now. What did they do? Did they have her sing again, or just show the clip and interview her?

She was interviewed via satelite and she sang a little bit. she is a unique person and I hope she will be rewarded for her talents.

On The Bonnie Hunt Show today Bonnie's reaction was the same as mine. She said, "The pretty people were all like, 'You mean someone who looks like that could actually have something to offer?'"

Like me, Bonnie saw a sweet woman with a beauty all her own being treated like an oddity because she doesn't measure up to the current "beautiful people" standard.

1. How did Susan Boyle become famous?

Susan Boyle gained fame after her audition on Britain's Got Talent in 2009 where she wowed the judges and audience with her incredible singing voice and inspiring story.

2. What was Susan Boyle's audition song on Britain's Got Talent?

Susan Boyle's audition song was "I Dreamed a Dream" from the musical Les Misérables.

3. Did Susan Boyle win Britain's Got Talent?

Although Susan Boyle did not win Britain's Got Talent, she placed second in the competition and went on to have a successful music career.

4. What challenges did Susan Boyle face before her audition on Britain's Got Talent?

Susan Boyle faced many challenges before her audition, including being bullied and dealing with health issues. She also struggled to break into the music industry for many years.

5. What is Susan Boyle doing now?

Susan Boyle is still making music and has released several albums since her time on Britain's Got Talent. She also continues to perform and has become an ambassador for autism awareness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • esavvymom