• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Networking Opportunities: A MaryKay Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses a MaryKay consultant at a recent show who invited the speaker to attend a weekly networking meeting at the local MaryKay office. The speaker is skeptical about the offer and asks for input from others who may have attended a similar event. The conversation ends with a discussion about the potential benefits of networking and referral groups.
adnoel
At the show I did this afternoon, there was a MaryKay consultant in the crowd. She seemed to have a great time and placed an above average order. At the show she mentioned that she attends weekly networking meetings, which are based out of the local MaryKay office. (I live in an area with 300,000 people, so I guess it's believable that there would be a local office.). She said she would love for me to attend the next meeting to network with others about PC, and possibly demo some of our products.

Maybe it's the skeptic in me, but I am just not sure about this offer. While, as a new consultant, I'd love the opportunity to grow my client base, I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a MaryKay rep. (I am extremely low maintenance and don't even wear make up most days.). Has anyone else ever attended something like this? If so was if beneficial? Also, do you think it would be worth my time to attend? I don't have a show that evening and usually don't do shows during the week, as I have a full-time job outside of PC still.

Thanks for your input!

adnoel said:
At the show I did this afternoon, there was a MaryKay consultant in the crowd. She seemed to have a great time and placed an above average order. At the show she mentioned that she attends weekly networking meetings, which are based out of the local MaryKay office. (I live in an area with 300,000 people, so I guess it's believable that there would be a local office.). She said she would love for me to attend the next meeting to network with others about PC, and possibly demo some of our products.

Maybe it's the skeptic in me, but I am just not sure about this offer. While, as a new consultant, I'd love the opportunity to grow my client base, I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a MaryKay rep. (I am extremely low maintenance and don't even wear make up most days.). Has anyone else ever attended something like this? If so was if beneficial? Also, do you think it would be worth my time to attend? I don't have a show that evening and usually don't do shows during the week, as I have a full-time job outside of PC still.

Thanks for your input!

You are wise to be skeptical. What she is inviting you to is a room full of MK consultants who will be trying to convince you to sign with MK. Been there, done that - was fed the very same lines as you.

I'm with Becky on this one.

Maybe she wants to do a show? Ask her more questions to see how she wants the demo to go.

I went to one and you got to say what you did when they introduced you to the other suckers that attended. The rest of the time it was MK this and that. I had to do a facial, they wanted me to buy stuff, wanted me to be a consultant...blah blah, blah....I road along with my gal and got stuck there for 3 HRS!!!

I had a host who is a Mary Kay consultant ask me to do the same thing. At first she just told me I'd come and could demo, show products, networketc and then it became I'd have to get a facial, etc. I'm feel the same way you do...just a very skeptical feeling. I at first told her I'd do it (I felt kind of pressured, she had her calendar out, going through dates), but I think I'm going to email her and tell her something came up and I'm going to be unable to attend. Kind of interesting we both got asked for the same type thing...wonder if this is something they have always done or something new????

yes, i would agree that this is exactly what this sounds like. i will, on the other hand, tell you that there are great networking/referral groups out there. DH and i also own a landscape company and are part of one of these organizations. basically, they only allow one business in each specialty area in and the idea is that you will refer and use that business. no, you aren't required to, but it has been great for us. we have gotten great business out of it, as well as gotten great business connections through it. the group is pretty fluid and people do come and go. there have been different DS people in the group at different times. i think that it is probably harder from the DS side of it, since you aren't necessarily offering an ongoing service (printing, insurance, etc.) but it is a great way to get out there and get your name out there.

Thanks for all of the feedback; I think I'll pass on this offer for now. I just don't have time to sit for a couple of hours and listen to a speel on something I am not interested in. And it's not that MaryKay doesn't have great products; they just aren't products I love!I do think it's funny that someone else was approached to attend a similar event elsewhere. It makes me think that it's a company thing, not just a consultant thing.I might try to find a networking group that is actually there to network and not just recruit! :)

adnoel said:
Thanks for all of the feedback; I think I'll pass on this offer for now. I just don't have time to sit for a couple of hours and listen to a speel on something I am not interested in. And it's not that MaryKay doesn't have great products; they just aren't products I love!

I do think it's funny that someone else was approached to attend a similar event elsewhere. It makes me think that it's a company thing, not just a consultant thing.

I might try to find a networking group that is actually there to network and not just recruit! :-)

I belong to the American Business Women's Association. They are a national group, so you could check their website and see if there is a group near you...

American Business Women's Association

Good luck!

1. What is the "Networking" Opportunity with Pampered Chef?

The "Networking" Opportunity with Pampered Chef is a chance for individuals to become consultants and sell our high-quality kitchen products while building their own business network.

2. How do I become a consultant for the "Networking" Opportunity?

To become a consultant, you can sign up on our website or through a current consultant. Once you fill out the necessary information and purchase a starter kit, you will be officially enrolled as a consultant.

3. What are the benefits of joining the "Networking" Opportunity?

As a consultant, you have the opportunity to earn income through selling our products, hosting cooking shows, and building a team of consultants. You also have access to discounts on our products and training and support from our company.

4. How much does it cost to join the "Networking" Opportunity?

The cost to join the "Networking" Opportunity varies depending on the starter kit you choose. Our starter kits range from $109 to $259 and include products and business materials to help you get started.

5. Do I need previous sales experience to be successful in the "Networking" Opportunity?

No, you do not need previous sales experience to be successful in the "Networking" Opportunity. We provide training and support to help you learn about our products and how to sell them effectively. Our consultants come from all backgrounds and have found success in this opportunity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Trish1953
  • wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
RMDave
  • pcsharon1