• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Nervousness in Cold Calls for Show Bookings

In summary, people are hesitant to book shows because they are scared to make the "Cold Call". However, if you are persistent and call everyone on your list, you will eventually get a yes.
Stephanie S
I find that I'm relly nervous to make the "Cold Call" to ask for show bookings. I ask at my shows all of the time, and I'm always turned down. People just keep giving out excuses as to why they are unable to host their own show. I even try to bribe people with 50% off a piece of stoneware if they book during a specific month - I still don't get a response.

I now am left with 2 show bookings, and they are not until the first month of June. People keep saying to stick with it, but it can be really discouraging at times. I have a full-time job and don't have a lot of time that I can dedicate to this. I do give it most of my evenings and weekends though. Does anyone have any ideas to get over being nervous to make the Cold Call? I guess I just don't want to keep getting rejected!

Pick up the phone! Have you called everyone on your list of 100? If not, call them. When I was short on bookings I told myself that I was going to go through my address book and keep calling until I got 1 booking. It only took me 2 phone calls!On average, you will get one yes for every 10 no's. Set yourself a hour and get on the phone. Call a couple of "easy" people first, to get your feet wet. :)Call everyone on your Christmas card list. Your doctor/dentist office, people you work with, people you know through your kids (if you have any :) )

I have the same worries. My calendar has hardly anything. Years ago, doing another direct sales company, I remember seeing an "inspirational" write-up - I wish I still had it.

Basically, it talked about how the word "no" means nothing. If you call someone for a party and they say "no", what has changed? Nothing. You are no worse off than you were - you are in the same place. You might get a "yes", and then things are better. But if you don't aske, you won't ever get the "yes".

If someone has heard this before, and has a copy, could you copy it and post it? Thanks.

Paula in TN.

Thanks for the encouragement and the votes of confidence!

I do understand your phone phobia. There is a book titled Phone Phobia that helps you get over the hump.

The size of your paycheck is a direct reflection of your time on the phone. That includes host coaching, customer care, etc.

If you have customers who have bought products from other shows, start there. Call them and do an OUT OF THE BOX call. (Do you have your prodcuts out of the box?) This means it is not just a cold call. You are calling for a purpose. They will appreciate you checking up on them.

Before you hang up, tell them about the monthly host special coming up (or current).

If you want to start with the people who have an item that might be similar or compatable to the ones they have, use Pampered Partner to look up those people and start there.

I agree with Ginger that your paycheck really does reflect the amount of time on the phone. After having a baby in September and having the holidays to crowd my schedule with, my business was kind of on the back burner. Over the past couple months I have really gotten back on the ball and gotten on the phone. IT helped to use Help Whip Cancer as a great excuse to call people. I ended up having six kitchen shows scheduled for May and got about 4 catalog shows. Unfortunately, three of those shows did reschedule for June (at least they did reschedule!), but now I have a total of 6 in June so far.

I agree that those Out of the Box calls are great. Even calling customers from longer ago is good to just see if they're using their products. You can offer them recipes to use their product with. Or if you know of friends or family that have PC tools, but haven't been to a show in awhile, call them and offer up some recipes or tips they may not have heard from regarding the products they have. Tell them you have this awesome recipe you have been practicing or that you had at a cluster meeting and offer to come make it for them and their friends at a fun show. It takes practice to get used to it and it may always feel a bit "weird" for people. But, like I read on this thread, the worst they can say is no! Try hard not to take it personally. Then ask if they know of anyone who would love to earn free and discounted products by getting their friends together for a fun party....maybe you'll get a referral if they're not interested. Good luck! Stick with it....it WILL get easier!

Thanks again. I'm sitting here tonight, by the phone, still nervous to pick it up because I'm expecting all "no's" I know it's not the right attitude to have but I can't help it.

Do you have scripts that you like to use? Do you have any you can share with me? I know there are some in our Welcome Kit, but they seem so phony...

Thanks to this site, I am just about to pick up the phone myself and do out of the box calls. I'll let you know how I do!

Kristi

Perfectly bluntI know all about the nervousness, it was hard for me to ask anyone about joining PC. I made my first call and asked last night.
I must say however, to be perfectly honest, that there is a difference between nervous and negative... If you think you will fail, you have failed already...sounds cliche but true...you really are projecting an energy that others can feel when you think that before you even pick up the phone, they will say "no".

For me, the first thing I would ask myself is "would I want to be a host??" If you would want to be a host and think it is exciting, beneficial, etc. then that will come across... You are not begging anyone...being a host is great!!! They get to have a catered party, get lots of discounted and free products (that they really do want and love!!) and you can be proud to offer PC products. But YOU have to believe in it yourself! You have to believe in PC, in their GENEROUS host program and it will completely come across!!

Be excited, like when you find a great deal at a shoe store and you call up your friends about it...if they just said "no" you wouldn't stop there, you would keep telling them how great of an experience it was for you, how they have nothing to lose to just try it! It is just a paradigm shift that is necessary~they are completely losing out when they don't host!! It is bargain shopping!! Who doesn't love that!

I'm off my tangent now, my point is, be optimistic, be excited, be enthusiastic... it will definitely turn things around!!

Hope this helps a bit!

Script for callsStephanie,
There's a great script that is good for all kinds of customer care calls on the PC website. Since you're in Canada, I'm not entirely sure if you have access to it. On our website it's under "Downloads" and it's called "Customer Care Script." I'll try to attach it to this email incase your website is somehow different.

It's great for any kind of call, including telling customers about current Pampered Chef news and exploring hosting a show. GOod luck! Just do a few and see how it feels. If someone says "no", then you know they're missing out. I bet someone will express some interest eventually! I swear it gets easier. Let us know how it goes. I don't know what you do to relax, but some people would say, have a nice glass of wine and give it a try. :) Not that I promote drinking to get over a hump, but it's nice to relax.

(Well, it's not letting me attach it because it says it's too big...sorry!)

Thank you, I will check on the Canadian website, and I don't know why I didn't think of that glass of wine myself :)

pamperedbecky said:
Stephanie,
There's a great script that is good for all kinds of customer care calls on the PC website. Since you're in Canada, I'm not entirely sure if you have access to it. On our website it's under "Downloads" and it's called "Customer Care Script." I'll try to attach it to this email incase your website is somehow different.

It's great for any kind of call, including telling customers about current Pampered Chef news and exploring hosting a show. GOod luck! Just do a few and see how it feels. If someone says "no", then you know they're missing out. I bet someone will express some interest eventually! I swear it gets easier. Let us know how it goes. I don't know what you do to relax, but some people would say, have a nice glass of wine and give it a try. :) Not that I promote drinking to get over a hump, but it's nice to relax.

(Well, it's not letting me attach it because it says it's too big...sorry!)

I'm sooo excited:D This might be kind of a long post but I'm sooo excited...Yesterday at a restaurant I had some pampered chef orders with me for some one & a guy came up to me & gave me his card & said his wife was wanting to place an order. Then my sister told me a friend wanted to place an order & I'm gonna ask her if she wants to do a show & that she also wants to do a bridal show.

Well then today I was kind of frustrated that I didn't have but 1 party & I wanted to at least to have 2 so I could get the consultant special...so I decided to make some phone calls(1st time) but I called people that had mentioned they wanted to have a show & I offered the $ days special if they booked on the 18,19, or 25 & I got 2 bookings. So I might just reach my bonus special for SS2

shanon

Congratulations! That's great and hopefully it's showing you that when you do make those calls you get results!! Good for you! :)

Yes congrats. It gets easier when you make calls consistenly. Keep up the good work and hope you get the ss2. ;)

Don't want to force people into itMy problem isn't that I'm afraid people will say "no." I'm afraid they'll say "yes" because they fell obligated rather then because they really want to host a show. "Avoid Trisha," I imagine them saying, "You can't have a conversation with her anymore without her bugging you to host a show." I don't want to lose friends because they're not interested in Pampered Chef Of course, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be interested in Pampered Chef, but I'm not into scrapbooking and my friend can't understand why I wouldn't want to come to her weekend scrapbooking parties. I hate getting her invites and "please have a party" calls. I don't want others to hate my calls, too.

Maybe you can ask your friend if you could bring over a special recipe or some PC sweet treats at one of her scrapbooking get togethers. Tell her you need to practice some of your recipes and would love some feedback - this may spark some interest among her friends that go over to scrapbook and maybe even your friend too! Remember to go prepared and have some catalogs, host packets and a few opportunity packets ready. If no one is interested, atleast you tried and your name is getting out there! Don't be afraid to casually mention PC to friends. You'll be able to tell if they are interested. It never hurts to ask!

There is also a few tele classes you might want to take - there is one called "Responding to Objections" that might help. I just took one on building a year around business. They give great tips and ideas! Go to Consultants Corner and go under sales training, then table talk tele-classes. You'll see the schedules. They are free too!!

Good luck!!

I understand your nervousness. I felt the same way when I first got started. I thought my friends would be like "every time I talk to Rebecca she's gonna talk about Pampered Chef". It's kinda like how my friends were when they had kids, and I didn't. I said to myself "uh oh, here comes Susie, and she's just gonna talk about kids again." I had to make the conscious decision that once I talked to my family and friends about my new business, I would back off a bit. I'd still share my excitement and accomplishments, but I made a point not to hound them about having a show. That's how I felt about my friends with kids...I loved talking to them about their kids "firsts", and funny experiences, but I didn't want them asking me all the time when I was going to start having children!

When it came to family and friends, I now keep them on my email list, and they are asking me about my business! They aren't knocking down my door to have shows, but they are still wanting to know how I'm doing. Lately, I've even had friends say "I'm really surprised at how well your doing with Pampered Chef. Sounds like your business is really taking off!"

Here's my advice, and this is what I was told that helped me pick up that phone for the first few calls:
--You want to share with everyone that you just started this business! I know that the scripts that are in Recipe for Success and the Welcome Booklet can seem very corny. For me, it's just not a natural flow. So, I'd start with a short conversation--a "Hi, how are you, what's new" kind of thing. Then, I'd get to the point and say, "well, I'm calling to let you know that I'm starting a new business with The Pampered Chef!...(this is where they respond). Then I say, "This is new for me, and I'm almost nervous to ask, but I'd love to have you as one of my first hostesses. (keep going...don't give them a chance to respond yet) You can have a kitchen or catalog show. With a kitchen show, you buy the ingredients, and I do the rest. With a catalog show, I send you the catalogs and order forms, and you can pass them around at work and to your family/friends. Which one would be easiest for you?" If they are hesitant, say "I can tell you're hesitant...but I couldn't not invite you to be a host. My first 6 hostesses get a free gift from the company, and the average host gets about $100 in free products. I didn't want to offend you by not asking!" If they still say no, just say "well, if you ever need any Pampered Chef, you now know who to call! Would you mind if I sent you a catalog anyway, with some business cards, to hand out to people you work with (or you could say--"to your friends"). I really want to make this successful!"

If your family member or friend is hesitant at first, then say no again after telling them about the free products, they most likely won't say no a third time when you ask if you can send them catalogs/business cards. A true friend/relative will want you to succeed too!

But, if they do say no to all things, just say "well, like I said, I couldn't not ask!" and then say "Well, I've got a few more people on my list I'd like to get in touch with tonight. It was good talking to you!"

Now, if you are calling someone you aren't very close with, this is how I look at it: I'm offering them FREE PRODUCTS! It would be rude of me not to ask! How would you feel if one of your friends started, oh, Tupperware, for example, and with that company they give hosts $100 in free Tupperware, plus a special gift for being a hostess. Wouldn't you be kinda offended if she didn't at least check with you to see if you were interested?

I admit--I've had friends that just did shows because I asked, and I could tell. But they all ended up surprised at all the free stuff they got---somehow, they thought it was just a ploy!

Just take a deep breath, and make the calls. You'll realize that once you start making calls, it's a lot easier than you think! I promise...

1. How do I overcome my nerves when asking for shows?

The best way to overcome your nerves when asking for shows is to practice and be confident in yourself and the products you are offering. You can also try role-playing with a friend or family member to get more comfortable with asking for shows.

2. What if people say no when I ask for a show?

Not everyone will say yes when you ask for a show, and that's okay. Remember that it's not a personal rejection and there will be other opportunities. Keep a positive attitude and focus on the customers who are interested in hosting a show.

3. How can I make the ask without feeling pushy?

Instead of just asking for a show, try offering a benefit or incentive for hosting, such as free products or a discount. This can make the ask feel less pushy and more like a win-win for both you and the potential host.

4. When is the best time to ask for a show?

The best time to ask for a show is when you have built a good rapport with the customer and they are enjoying the products. You can also mention the benefits of hosting a show during a demonstration or after a customer has made a purchase.

5. I'm worried about not having enough bookings for my shows. What should I do?

If you're worried about not having enough bookings for your shows, try reaching out to past hosts or customers who have shown interest in hosting. You can also offer a referral program where current hosts can earn rewards for referring new hosts. Additionally, utilize social media and word-of-mouth to promote your shows and attract more bookings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vhadley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
minirottie
  • jesusluvsu2005
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beckypchef
Replies