• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Starting Out in the World of Performing: Tips and Advice for the First 30 Days

In summary, the author had a first show and was not prepared for the small venue. She lost her temper and they didn't buy anything. She got a 9-year-old to help her and it went better.
Jaime Conner
I pretty much just started.. I hit my 30 day mark yesterday! I've done 4 shows and I guess they were alright. I am really loving it so far and its a lot of fun. I am just SO darn nervous! Any advise would help a whole lot??

HOn - just be yourself and LOVE what you are doing - the rest will fall into place!

Educate yourself with the products - there are more uses then one in most products - know them and sell them -

let your customers be your guide - watch and listen - they sell more then we do half the time!

have fun!! if you are having fun - your shows are fun - share the excitement and everything else will follow !!

Well, I could say picture everyone in their underwear but what would that help? I think there is actually a home party plan for that type of thing as it is;)

My advice is to just keep working at it. The more shows you do the better you will feel. For now, make sure you aren't offering too many recipes which can stress you out. Pick two or three recipes you really like and are comfortable with and offer those only. People will understand. And personally, if you are still doing shows for your family and friends, I am more nervous at shows where I personally know the people. I'd much rather be in a room full of strangers. Anybody else feel like that? I think you are doing great. Four shows in 30 days is awesome and since you say you love it, that will show through. Good luck!

Practical tips to solve nerves.1. be over-prepared. That will give you such confidence, you won't have the "what's coming next" worry. Use cue cards for your shows. I have the best shows with the double-set of BOOKING CUES and RECRUITING CUES which I sprinkle throughout the show.2. listen listen listen and watch watch watch. Be a master pupil of the online training system, and listen to as many CD's and tapes as you can get. Hearing the same phrases over and over will make them part of your vocabulary and make you more confident.3. As you get out of your "warm" market, it gets easier - you become less concerned if you mess up in front of these people who have some influence or other in your life... You also start to realize you are truly doing folks a favor in sharing our awesome products and opportunity.4. rub your hands on your thighs before you start - this uses a lot of nervous energy in your arms and you'll feel better.5. be sure to stay connected with your cluster and upline. Solid training is all around you - take advantage of it and you'll go far!

I would advise observing several your clustermates shows ( directors, top producers shows). Your director will help you set that up along with who to watch. Mine didn't want me picking up any bad habits early on. Take notes and watch their quick tips and funny anecdotes. That was very helpful for me. You will be fine once you get into the routine and do it over and over.

hello! I am new too! I was/still am a tad nervous..but I think if you could watch some "live" shows/parties, that will help.I had the opportunity to watch my director in action,and she was great..no means perfect, which was good for me to see.Maybe do the same?
My 30 days are up on the 25th!

I had my first show last night, and I thought I was ready, I had everything packed, when I got to her house, it was WAY small, and although she said she had tables for me to use, she gave me a card table to do EVERYTHING... display and cooking. She also didn't tell me she had an apartment sized stove in her house and my large bar pan didn't fit! The oven door wouldn't close all the way! After that, I lost it.

Once her few guest arrived, I completely didnt know what to do/say... It got even worse when they basically flat out told me they were only there to help their daughter/granddaughter out and wanted something good to eat... I basically said to myself screw it, made my brownies, showed off a couple tools that I like, and let them eat. Her guest came up with about $30 in sales, but luckily she had a bunch of outside orders that just barely got her to qualify for a show. Since they weren't interested, I recruited my host's 9 yo daughter to help me. I put my apron on her, and she got to do all of my chopping and she helped me count out my candies, and she measured my liquids for me. The guest really enjoyed watching their grand/great granddaughter cooking!

I was frustrated, but I guess its good to expirence a show like that at the begining to make it a lesson in life, and I can move on now.

On the bright side a guy I work for on an Independent Contract basis just called and asked if I could bring a catalog over for his wife today, she wants to buy ALOT of stuff he says, so maybe I can get her to book a show, I know they love to entertain people!

I'm going to go back an rewatch the cooking shows on the DVD I got with my kit and work on that. I think once I do, my nerves will settle... I personally don't have a problem with public speaking. I got over that one quick when I was hosting a dinner for 150 Soldiers just back from Iraq plus their families... My guest speaker/speaker for the evening failed to show up, and I had to get up on stage and do all of the speaking without having anything prepared... The worst part was though, my then husband decided that my party was lame and gathered some of his friends to go bar hopping in the area... That will get anyone over public speaking FAST!

I hope you get over yours too. I don't really have any advice except maybe practicing. Maybe get some family or friends together, even if you've had a show for them already, tell them you want to do a mock show and practice, then ask them to give you feedback. I made my BF and his 6yo son be my audience when I practiced the brownies for last night. Now the 6yo thinks he's a chef! too cute!

candiejayne said:
I had my first show last night, and I thought I was ready, I had everything packed, when I got to her house, it was WAY small, and although she said she had tables for me to use, she gave me a card table to do EVERYTHING... display and cooking. She also didn't tell me she had an apartment sized stove in her house and my large bar pan didn't fit! The oven door wouldn't close all the way! After that, I lost it.

Once her few guest arrived, I completely didnt know what to do/say... It got even worse when they basically flat out told me they were only there to help their daughter/granddaughter out and wanted something good to eat... I basically said to myself screw it, made my brownies, showed off a couple tools that I like, and let them eat. Her guest came up with about $30 in sales, but luckily she had a bunch of outside orders that just barely got her to qualify for a show. Since they weren't interested, I recruited my host's 9 yo daughter to help me. I put my apron on her, and she got to do all of my chopping and she helped me count out my candies, and she measured my liquids for me. The guest really enjoyed watching their grand/great granddaughter cooking!

I was frustrated, but I guess its good to expirence a show like that at the begining to make it a lesson in life, and I can move on now.

On the bright side a guy I work for on an Independent Contract basis just called and asked if I could bring a catalog over for his wife today, she wants to buy ALOT of stuff he says, so maybe I can get her to book a show, I know they love to entertain people!

I'm going to go back an rewatch the cooking shows on the DVD I got with my kit and work on that. I think once I do, my nerves will settle... I personally don't have a problem with public speaking. I got over that one quick when I was hosting a dinner for 150 Soldiers just back from Iraq plus their families... My guest speaker/speaker for the evening failed to show up, and I had to get up on stage and do all of the speaking without having anything prepared... The worst part was though, my then husband decided that my party was lame and gathered some of his friends to go bar hopping in the area... That will get anyone over public speaking FAST!

I hope you get over yours too. I don't really have any advice except maybe practicing. Maybe get some family or friends together, even if you've had a show for them already, tell them you want to do a mock show and practice, then ask them to give you feedback. I made my BF and his 6yo son be my audience when I practiced the brownies for last night. Now the 6yo thinks he's a chef! too cute!

YAY for your first show being OVER!!!! You are going to have the oven to small the microwave too low of wattage...guests that don't care about you or your show...It is your job to take it all in stride and roll with it. I have been finding more and more little ones at my parties and they end up doing the demo with me even with interactive demos...I am good with it because people realize...If a kid can do it...So can I. Glad to hear the outside orders added up for you.

With just getting started...make it a habit NOW to host coach in person and get the guest list within 5 days of booking the show. Mail out the invites for your host. Offer an incentive for 40 names and addresses...I offer the small bar pan ($15, purchase on the host order for 20-30% off and its a write off as a consultant gift)

People told me host coaching in person is so important, blah blah blah...I finally started for all of my November shows and although my attendance isn't fabulous and sales are low...I am having shows, no cancellations, and some sales are better than none...People LOVE that I do the work for them!

Best of LUCK :)

I think that we all get nervous. I did my "first" outsider cooking show on the 11th for some teachers at a local school! We had a blast! I even messed up with the UM a couple of times and laughed it off. I said, "Well that is my one mistake for the night...glad that is over with!" Everyone laughed and that put me at ease! Sorry you had a lousy first show but that's behind you! As everyone says, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Remember anything you buy for the recipes to try out is also tax deductible! Think of all the yummy meals you can fix and be able to take it off your taxes! What a great "excuse" to make some great meals!

I recommend choosing an easy recipe, with simply steps, that show cases several products. I typically to the Brown Sugar Dijon Brie - its fool proof and delicious. I also always ask the host, to act excited and volunteer to do stuff. This usually puts people in the mood for an interactive show.

And if possible - I hide the kichen chairs - if people cannot easily sit, they will gather around the table and help you! It may sound sneaky, but I find if I don't do that, the guests will all sit down, read the catalog, and ignore me.

Andrea

avelissar said:
I recommend choosing an easy recipe, with simply steps, that show cases several products. I typically to the Brown Sugar Dijon Brie - its fool proof and delicious. I also always ask the host, to act excited and volunteer to do stuff. This usually puts people in the mood for an interactive show.

And if possible - I hide the kichen chairs - if people cannot easily sit, they will gather around the table and help you! It may sound sneaky, but I find if I don't do that, the guests will all sit down, read the catalog, and ignore me.

Andrea

I do the demo and while everything is finishing up I bring out the catalog. Helps keep attention on the products at hand.

1. What are the best tools for meal prep?

Some of our top recommended tools for meal prep include the Food Chopper, Quick Slice, and Mix 'N Chop. These tools make chopping, slicing, and mixing ingredients quick and easy, saving you time in the kitchen.

2. How do I choose the right cookware for my needs?

When choosing cookware, consider the type of cooking you do and the types of food you typically prepare. For stovetop cooking, our Executive Nonstick Cookware is a great option, while our Stoneware is perfect for baking. Our Stainless Steel Cookware is versatile and can be used for a variety of cooking methods.

3. What are the best products for making healthy meals?

We offer a variety of products that can help you make healthy meals, such as our Veggie Spiralizer, Microplane Zester, and Garlic Press. These tools make it easy to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your meals.

4. How do I clean and maintain my Pampered Chef products?

Most of our products are dishwasher safe, but for best results, hand washing is recommended. To remove tough stains or residue, soak the product in warm soapy water before cleaning. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can damage the product.

5. Can I order replacement parts for my Pampered Chef products?

Yes, we offer replacement parts for many of our products. You can contact our customer service team for assistance with ordering the specific part you need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alicia Denman
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
texaschef1
  • JDooley
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
Replies