• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Needed: a Savory Sauce to Use With Roast Duck

In summary, Scott is roasting two ducks for Christmas. He's going to serve Our Raspberry-Habanero sauce as a sweet option for guests, but he needs a good (proven) savory option. He asked his friend, Scott, for a suggestion. Scott recommended the Spicy Pineapple, which is not too overpowering if it's eaten with bird (we have it on chicken and grouse all the time) and is a pretty savory option.
RMDave
Gold Member
A friend is roasting two ducks for Christmas. He's going to serve Our Raspberry-Habanero sauce as a sweet option for guests, but he needs a good (proven) savory option. "No mustard," he begged.

Any suggestions? Specific recipes? Something that will compliment and not overpower the duck?

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Many thanks!

If you're looking for a PC sauce to use, go for the Spicy Pineapple. My husband loves it, it's not too overpowering if it's eaten with bird (we have it on chicken and grouse all the time) and it's a pretty savory option ;)

An orange sauce is pretty traditional with Roasted Duck.

Not sure about savory - when I google it, almost all of the sauces that are served with Duck are on the fruity side.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Duck-a-lOrange-233535

No, we're looking for a savory sauce - not a sweet sauce.

Two options that are standby's in our kitchen...SAVORY OPTION ONE - Asian Onion Sauce
Lipton dry onion soup mix
2 cloves garlic sliced, or 1 clove garlic minced
2 tspn sesame oil
1 tblspn corn starch
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup water separate
4 tblspn soy sauce
1-2 tblspn brown sugar
approx. 1/2 tspn fresh grated ginger
ground pepper to tasteHeat oil in small pan. Clarify garlic 2-3 minutes until just barely beginning to brown. Add soy sauce and 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil. Add onion soup mix and bring back to boil. Add ginger and sugar, reduce to simmer. Separately stir cornstarch into 1/4 cup water. Add constantly-stirred cornstarch to pan. Stir slowly until mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add pepper and taste. (If it doesn't thicken within 4 minutes, add a little more cornstarch-in-water, sparingly. )
We often serve this with pork and halibut.SAVORY OPTION TWO: East India Curry
1 - 6oz can tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely minced onion
2 tblspns olive oil
2 (tomato paste) cans of water
2 tblspn curry powder
1-2 tblspn brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup white raisins
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds to sprinkle on topIn empty pan, toast almonds and set aside. Warm oil, then saute garlic and onion. When they are translucent, add curry powder and sugar, salt and pepper, stir. Add tomato paste and 2 cans water. Stir until mixture is heated through. Add currants and raisins, simmer for 10 more minutes and taste. Pour over meat, sprinkle almonds on top. We use this for chicken, game hen, rabbit. I like curry so I'd use as much as 3 tablespoons per 6oz. tomato paste.

Thanks, Scott. I think one of your recipes will fit the bill. Many thanks, again, and happy and healthy holidays to you and your's.

Scott, the Asian Onion Sauce was a total hit. Thank you so much for the recipe. You're an absolute sweetheart.

Glad it worked so well. I'm going to include both in my Recipe File on my website.

1. What is the best type of sauce to use with roast duck?

The best type of sauce to use with roast duck is a savory sauce, such as a red wine reduction or an orange glaze. These types of sauces complement the rich and gamey flavor of the duck without overpowering it.

2. Can I use a sweet sauce with roast duck?

While some people may enjoy a sweet sauce with roast duck, it is generally recommended to use a savory sauce to balance out the flavors. Sweet sauces, such as a cherry or honey glaze, can be too overpowering and may mask the unique taste of the duck.

3. How do I make a red wine reduction sauce for roast duck?

To make a red wine reduction sauce, start by sautéing shallots and garlic in a pan. Then, add red wine and let it simmer until it reduces by half. Finally, add in some chicken or beef broth and let it cook until it thickens. Serve the sauce over the roast duck.

4. What herbs and spices go well in a savory sauce for roast duck?

Herbs and spices that pair well with roast duck include thyme, rosemary, sage, and garlic. These herbs add depth and flavor to the sauce without overpowering the duck. Additionally, using a combination of herbs can create a well-rounded and delicious sauce.

5. Can I use the drippings from the duck to make a sauce?

Yes, you can use the drippings from the duck to make a flavorful sauce. After roasting the duck, remove it from the pan and pour out the excess fat. Then, add some broth or wine to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. This liquid can be used as a base for a delicious sauce to serve with the roast duck.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • PCJenni
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • scottcooks