• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe | Easy and Traditional

In summary, the recipe author recommends either a roll of Pillsbury dough or a recipe that she just used that calls for 1 cup of flour, 3 tsp. almond extract, 1 c. sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1 egg.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
My sister isn't home to give me her recipe but I'm looking for a good cut out sugar cookie recipe - usually the ones "your grandma use to make" are the best. Thanks!

3 c. flour
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 tsp. almond extract
1 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 egg

Icing: 4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. cream

Beat butter and sugar together until blended. Add egg and blend. Add rest of ingrediants and blend. Remove dough and wrap in a ball in foil and put in the refrigerator until chilled. Roll out dough 1/4 thick and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 minutes or until light brown. Let cookies cool; then ice. Icing can be divided into batches and colored with food coloring. Top with sprinkles and sugars.

Thanks for the recipe but I won't be able to make that tonight - I don't have any almond extract. I did ask on FB and got a few recipes but I'm wondering why one would call for 1 cup of flour and another 3 and yet another 5 cups! Anybody know the difference and what would make the best cookies?

Perhaps each recipe makes a different amount?

No they all made several dozen.

The roll of Pillsbury dough at the grocery store! LOL

Sheila said:
The roll of Pillsbury dough at the grocery store! LOL

Yah that won't do with our family :) My sister's sister-in-law gave me a great recipe that she just used. Guess I'll see how they work out tomorrow!

This is the BEST sugar cookie recipe ever! Can't remember which cookbook it came out of, but I've been using it since I set up my own household 30+ years ago and it's a hit every time. Roll out thin for crisp cookies or a little thicker for softer cookies. Yum!

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg, vanilla and sour cream until well blended. Stir in the sifted ingredients. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Alton Brown's Sugar Cookie recipe is my favorite!

3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough

Directions
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar. Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill. Cut into desired shape, place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack. Serve as is or ice as desired. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.

Best ever sugar cookies1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 cup butter
1tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 1/2 cups flourCream butter, add other ingredients, flour last. Chill dough. Roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with favorite cutters. Bake 350 until light brown (about 10 minutes). Cool and frost.Frosting1 stick of butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milkBlend together until very smooth. Divide and tint to desired colors. Frost sugar cookies and decorate at desired.

BethCooks4U said:
Best ever sugar cookies

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 cup butter
1tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 1/2 cups flour

Cream butter, add other ingredients, flour last. Chill dough. Roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with favorite cutters. Bake 350 until light brown (about 10 minutes). Cool and frost.

Frosting

1 stick of butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk

Blend together until very smooth. Divide and tint to desired colors. Frost sugar cookies and decorate at desired.

Oh man, my sister told me to find one that had powdered sugar but I couldn't. Maybe if this batch doesn't work out I'll make another one using this recipe!

wadesgirl said:
Oh man, my sister told me to find one that had powdered sugar but I couldn't. Maybe if this batch doesn't work out I'll make another one using this recipe!

I've never found a better recipe. :)

Obviously, you already have some great options but here is the one my husband's family makes. NO WAITING for the dough to refrigerate!!

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies:

Sift together 3 c flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 c sugar.
Cut in 1 c butter (REAL). Add 1 beaten egg, 3 tbs whipping cream, 1 tsp vanilla. Blend.

Roll out 1/8" thick.

**You'll need a good pastry blender to mix this up. It will seem dry at first, but should press together easily when you try to make a dough ball. If not, add more cream. Best tip ever, roll out btwn wax paper so you don't have to add flour and prevents sticking to the rolling pin.

Bake 400 5-8 min.
Decorate with your fav. frosting. But also good just plain.

Another tip: To prevent sticking, dust your cutting area with a mix of flour and powdered sugar; works great - esp. when you have to re-roll the leftover pieces and helps keep the dough more pliable and softer vs. using all flour.

I have a great one....I have to make 3 triple batches every year for my family. Turns out to be a 3 day affair...1 night to make all the dough, 1 day to roll & bake them all and 1 to decorate. Let me know if you want the recipe. They are yummy cookies

Lisa

I would LOVE to have the recipe, Lisa!

Going to try the others with my niece and nephews...they're going to be sugar cookie baking/eating/packing ALOT next week!

What ingredients do I need for the sugar cookie recipe?

To make sugar cookies, you will need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt.

Can I use margarine instead of butter in the recipe?

Yes, you can use margarine instead of butter in the sugar cookie recipe. However, the texture and taste of the cookies may be slightly different.

How long do I need to chill the dough before baking?

You will need to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. This will help the cookies hold their shape and prevent them from spreading too much while baking.

Can I add anything to the dough for extra flavor?

Yes, you can add in ingredients like chocolate chips, sprinkles, or chopped nuts to the dough for extra flavor and texture.

How long do these cookies last?

If stored in an airtight container, these sugar cookies can last for up to a week at room temperature. You can also freeze the cookies for longer storage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LeanneB.
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Tracie
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies