• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Enough Masculine Incentives in Pampered Chef?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a male consultant's frustration with the lack of gender-neutral incentives and merchandise in the female-dominated Pampered Chef business. Some suggestions were made to sell or trade the earned incentives for something more desirable. The issue of wearing jeans to shows was also brought up, with mixed opinions on whether it is allowed or not. The consultant also mentioned sending suggestions to HO and hoping for more options in the future.
jimgass
Hey all

I'm a new consultant who also happens to be male. I have earned the Sling Bag and it is delayed, and unlike may of us, I couldn't possibly care less.

I know that Pampered Chef is a female-dominated business. I am a stay at home dad, and do most of the cooking, and as such am the exception to any gender stereotype. I do wish that there were more "manly" incentives for reaching goals. Maybe a bbq grill basket? Maybe an apron that isn't the same denim as one of Jay Leno's casual shirts?

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, and that's not my intent. I'm happy to be a consultant, I Love PC products, and am SUPER excited to be getting a free piece of open-stock cookware.

Also wish there were more possible themes for our pamperedchef.biz sites, that were a little bit less pastel-colored.

*end rant*

Thanks for listening!:chef:

Don't worry I feel the same way about the demin apon as you do!! I don't even think I've worn it. Make sure to send all suggestions to HO so maybe they can do something different!

Send your thoughts to HO...unless they hear it from us, they don't know!

I agree with you. We've got a few guys here on CS and every time there's an incentive that's rather girly, I really feel badly for you. You really should voice your opinion to HO. I hate to complain about the incentives, because it's nice that they even do them, but they should have a male friendly or gender neutral version of things...at least every now and then. ;)

You can do what several of the other guys do. Sell the earned "girly incentive" on Chef Success marketplace (NOT E-Bay! we're not allowed) for some cold-hard cash and then get what you DO want. ;)And I agree...they need a few options for you guys. Even PC $$ would be better than nothing!

I've mentioned it many times to Merrill that they need more clothes for guys and they said they would pass it on to the purchasing person. I've also passed it on to HO about the selections guys have too.

Wow, I never gave this a thought, but you are absolutely right. They should offer items that both men and women would want, or have a choice of two. I don't think they should be specifically female giving you the only option of selling them--if you have earned a PC logo-type item, it should be something you can use.

Perhaps you could trade your sling with someone who won the sunglass case. That's much more gender nuetral, and the color is...I don't know...bad? No matter who you are, it's just bad.

As for the denim apron. Is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit hypocritical/odd/ironic that they give you a denim apron but you're not allowed to wear jeans to do your shows???

Just emailed HO through Consultants' Corner. Got the automated email back stating that my comments were added to the database that is checked periodically throughout the year. Here's hoping for a money clip or pen set reward sometime in the year 2016!

pchockeymom said:
Perhaps you could trade your sling with someone who won the sunglass case. That's much more gender nuetral, and the color is...I don't know...bad? No matter who you are, it's just bad.

As for the denim apron. Is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit hypocritical/odd/ironic that they give you a denim apron but you're not allowed to wear jeans to do your shows???

Who says we are not "allowed" to wear jeans to our shows?
I don't normally wear jeans, I do wear black pants with a nice top, with black shoes MOST of the time, but if I am doing a show for a group that I know well, I have no problem wearing a "nice" pr of jeans w/ the same nice top and black shoes that I would wear w/ black pants.

That would stink, Jim. I agree, try to sell in the Marketplace here and get stuff you want/need.

I wear jeans to my shows... I prefer to be more casual so that potential recruits don't think they need to dress up to do this. I still look professional. And there's nothing that says otherwise (at least not that I've seen and I've read the policy guide front to back)..

I also wear dressy jeans to my shows with a PC logo shirt (not tshirts).

pchockeymom said:

I gave my sunglass case to my 6 year old. He loves it! :)

And, there is no policy that you can't wear jeans. I think that must just be something somewhere in your upline. I don't usually wear jeans, although I did a couple of times in January, when I knew there was a great possibility that the weather was going to turn nasty while I was at the show. :eek: (didn't want to get stuck in the snow in my dress clothes!) I know lots of consultants who wear jeans to their shows...

I guess I'm the odd one out here, I actually like my demin apron. I mostly wear it at home though - hardly ever wear an apron at my shows....depends on what I'm making and if I remember to put it on! I usually wear a logo shirt and jeans to my my shows in the winter (nice dark wash ones) and capri's in the summer.

I sometimes wear jeans to my shows. It depends on the group! When I do, they're nice jeans, and I always wear a nice top or logo shirt.

I think the chef's coat that you can earn Jan/Feb for recruiting is a nice alternative to the apron.

Yes, they need to have more things that are less girly, though when they do those recruiting incentives for the really nice Coach, Dooney & Burke etc. purses, I get excited. It would be nice if it's a logo item to offer a Merrill gift cert. so men could get logo clothing that would serve the same general purpose of promoting your biz.

What do you think of the Excellence Award jewelry? I think the male pieces aren't so great. Just not a lot of options for men in general in this industry. I wish they had earrings for women as people are more likely to notice those than a ring.

I do know that when hitting $15K, rather than getting a silver neclace, as I did, guys now get a silver key chain.

colegrovet said:
I do know that when hitting $15K, rather than getting a silver neclace, as I did, guys now get a silver key chain.

Cool! Thanks Terry cuz I didn't know that.

I was VERY impressed with my WAHOO club Car ink pen for my Jan. recruit. My kids loved it. I thought of the guys on here right way. It looks like a sports car, both doors open and has working tires! Wouldn't be that great for actually doing lots of writing b/c of the design, but I love it....of course with a 6 & 8 yr. old I didn't get to "keep" it. Kids informed me today it's a pull back car as well--now that's fun to see fly across my desk!!

As far as the jeans, I don't personally wear them but have several team members that do. I also don't usually wear the apron now that I have logo wear. One of my team members had bling added to hear apron.

Last edited:
I, as a guy, agree that more guy things would be nice. But the logistics are not realistic. Think of the deals in quantities they make for the giveaways. I think the option for PC dollars is the most practical. I wish they would offer the chefs jacket for purchase!!!!!

I love my denim apron, and feel very comfortable doing shows dressed more casual. I think the person who posted that they should offer the guys PC dollars!!

Barry Carlton said:
I, as a guy, agree that more guy things would be nice. But the logistics are not realistic. Think of the deals in quantities they make for the giveaways.

I think the option for PC dollars is the most practical.

I wish they would offer the chefs jacket for purchase!!!!!

I like that PC dollars idea!
I've sent suggestions to the HO and besides the automated email I never hear anything back from them.
I usually give or sell my Conference tote bags to someone. There's always someone that wants them. One of my recruits also a male constantly also complains when he hears of another tote bag we can get.
Working with an almost all female company, I learned to accept it and find something more important to complain about. Like: I want a men's bathroom at Conference! :)

I like doing the "Interactive" shows. I let the guests that are making the recipes wear the aprons that I have.

I didn't even read all the way through this but I too agree. Our token mail that comes to our cluster meetings is always saying similar things. He also complains that we don't have enough other male consultants in our cluster! I'm working on that personally! I had a friend interested and he went with something else but I'm not giving up on him! I also want to convince a recent male host that he should do this. He'd be amazing! He's also using other job as excuse. Any off topic I got.

Our token male was very excited about the half apron for HWC a few years ago! And some of our female consultants chose that as well actually! :) But our cluster has talked about this and probably some have sent to HO. And we noticed that more men were being recognized at Hartford Launch in the higher up categories so that may help with more "manly" incentives! :)

I agree it would be nice to have options for men. And i think they should sell the chefs jacket to. Im not to into the white one. Atleast the big rewards have male options.

kcmckay said:
I didn't even read all the way through this but I too agree. Our token mail that comes to our cluster meetings is always saying similar things. He also complains that we don't have enough other male consultants in our cluster! I'm working on that personally! I had a friend interested and he went with something else but I'm not giving up on him! I also want to convince a recent male host that he should do this. He'd be amazing! He's also using other job as excuse. Any off topic I got.

Our token male was very excited about the half apron for HWC a few years ago! And some of our female consultants chose that as well actually! :) But our cluster has talked about this and probably some have sent to HO. And we noticed that more men were being recognized at Hartford Launch in the higher up categories so that may help with more "manly" incentives! :)

When oh when are we going to recognized for our potential and not just be viewed as men ;) ;)

This is tongue in cheek, friends.

I heard last night on the radio that there is a trend towards stay at home dads because if one partner stays home, it's often Mom who makes more money! PC should note this trend.The sling bag? Guess I hadn't thought of it as all that "girly" (more of a messenger bag) but you are welcome to sell it to me when it arrives! A perfect gift for my birthday, hint hint!But I am disappointed by the "mother's day lunch bag." Frankly, it doesn't look much different than the little insulated tote I can get from Lean Cuisine for buying frozen dinners ... and it doesn't even say PC on it! Now my little yellow cooler, on the other hand, is about the same size, holds about the same amount and has the PC logo proudly stamped on it.And the December apron (which consultants also could earn) was a big joke among the guys here.I agree, make your concerns known to HO!

I have been trying since 2001 to get this done. I do not buy from Merrill at all anyway as when I have the product is crap. Terry - I got 4 polo shirts. I washed them all of about 4 times each and the well, the color sort of disappeared in places! Lots of places actually. And the hems had already started to come out. Never goo looking when threads are hanging all over the place. They all look I bleached them and we never have bleach in the house! As far a PC goes, Jim is right. It will be 2016! Like I said, us guys who have been a round for many years, I ma sure even Dave Meenan, have tried to no avail. However, it never hurts to keep at them.

Barry Carlton said:
When oh when are we going to recognized for our potential and not just be viewed as men ;) ;)

This is tongue in cheek, friends.

Just for the record our "token" male is aware of him being the only one. We do have a recent male recruit though that does come to meetings occasionally! It's just funny because I had a TS party and he came and 2 other consultants in our cluster and when Tastefully Simple consultant did her business speal that it was mostly women but they have a few men and always looking for more, the only male at my party snickered at the comment along with the other 2. It was funny you probably had to be there! ;)

pampered1224 said:
I have been trying since 2001 to get this done. I do not buy from Merrill at all anyway as when I have the product is crap. Terry - I got 4 polo shirts. I washed them all of about 4 times each and the well, the color sort of disappeared in places! Lots of places actually. And the hems had already started to come out. Never goo looking when threads are hanging all over the place. They all look I bleached them and we never have bleach in the house! As far a PC goes, Jim is right. It will be 2016! Like I said, us guys who have been a round for many years, I ma sure even Dave Meenan, have tried to no avail. However, it never hurts to keep at them.

Well here's my thought! We should all pick a day and send the suggestion to HO. That's got to show some need for more male friendly rewards when plenty of females are pushing for it as well! :D:D:D:D:D

The no jeans policy is one of the very first things my recruit told me cuz she knows I'm a jeans gal. She's been a consultant for 18 years. In our business guide it states we are to wear "business casual attire" which my recruit instructed me means no jeans.

I think if they offered an alternative of PC Dollars it would be a GREAT solution! Even for the women who don't want a certain incentive. I didn't even try for the December apron because I knew I wouldn't wear it. If they had offered an alternative option of PC Dollars, I probably would have worked to earn it. ;)

pchockeymom said:
The no jeans policy is one of the very first things my recruit told me cuz she knows I'm a jeans gal. She's been a consultant for 18 years. In our business guide it states we are to wear "business casual attire" which my recruit instructed me means no jeans.

I try to think the way the guests might be thinking. Do I want him in my house entertaining my friends. I try to wear what would please anyone.

pchockeymom said:

I know this is the rule for conferences but I never heard this as the rule for doing shows.

I agree completely - I never wear the apron, bc I cant stand aprons, I like the idea of having customers wear aprons. I always do an interactive show!!And the web sites being less pastel would be great too. I am personally a red, blk and silver woman. I love the darker colors and would love our sites to reflect our personalities a little more.I have a guy looking to join my team this month, he is already a chef and is looking forward to earning more and teaching his skills. So all of these ideas I know he will appreciate as well

I don't even know where my denim apron is but I used to have my hosts sign and date my apron. They loved it and it made it more unique. Actually, the apron I first had them sign was the one that came with my kit........it was brown and the denim was a huge improvement.

Sheila said:
I think if they offered an alternative of PC Dollars it would be a GREAT solution! Even for the women who don't want a certain incentive. I didn't even try for the December apron because I knew I wouldn't wear it. If they had offered an alternative option of PC Dollars, I probably would have worked to earn it. ;)

I was going to say if they are going to offer men a PC$ alternative they need to offer it to everyone! There are going to be some incentives that work for women and some that don't. It really is a personal choice.

As far as jeans, I like to look professional and put together. I don't get all dressed up to the nines but I will wear a nice pair of dress pants or khaki (cords in the winter) and a nice top. I was trained as a new consultant to never wear jeans to your shows.

Dressing in "casual business attire", nice slacks like Dockers and a polo shirt is considered to be a standard "comfortable" look in the business world. There is a certain air one wears when dressed comfortably but nicely. It portrays a look of money and pride without being pretentious. No lie, that was a definition I found once a while ago. We want to look like we are comfortable in our jobs, have a bit of money, and that we take pride in our selves and our jobs. Jeans have always been considered WORK clothes. Not that you can not look good and confident but there has always been that stigma that jeans represent the down trodden and taken advantage of. So no, you do not have to look that way at shows, you can go in jeans. You then have to live with the message that is received by guests. And I say it that way because we know that you are representing your business in a business like manner but, jeans can send the opposite message to guests. It is just not considered business, by any business, to wear jeans. It is considered to be too overly casual to make that earlier statement.

pampered1224 said:
Dressing in "casual business attire", nice slacks like Dockers and a polo shirt is considered to be a standard "comfortable" look in the business world. There is a certain air one wears when dressed comfortably but nicely. It portrays a look of money and pride without being pretentious. No lie, that was a definition I found once a while ago. We want to look like we are comfortable in our jobs, have a bit of money, and that we take pride in our selves and our jobs. Jeans have always been considered WORK clothes. Not that you can not look good and confident but there has always been that stigma that jeans represent the down trodden and taken advantage of. So no, you do not have to look that way at shows, you can go in jeans. You then have to live with the message that is received by guests. And I say it that way because we know that you are representing your business in a business like manner but, jeans can send the opposite message to guests. It is just not considered business, by any business, to wear jeans. It is considered to be too overly casual to make that earlier statement.
For me it takes just as long to put on a nice pair of slacks as it does a pair of jeans so why wouldn't I want to look a little more professional. I don't think I put off any of my guests of thinking about the business by the way I dress.

And I also have to wear jeans and t-shirts to work, layers in the winter because it's so freaking cold in here. I love the chance to dress up and look good!

It is just not considered business, by any business, to wear jeans. It is considered to be too overly casual to make that earlier statement.
This discussion comes up every year as we get ready for NC. I am convinced it's a regional thing. I do secretarial temping. Many businesses in our area consider nice, dark, dressy jeans to be appropriate for business casual wear as long as they're paired with other business-like pieces. Since the HO states "no denim" for NC, I wear slacks there. As for what to wear to do shows, I think that really depends on your customers. I wear nice jeans and a PC logo-wear top to my shows. I have never felt under-dressed. If I were in an area where people were mostly more dressed up, I'd definitely dress accordingly.

I think it's regional too. I usually wear jeans in the winter (again dark wash nice jeans). Sometimes I wear skirts or capris, whatever I'm into wearing at the time in the summer. Those are the two seasons here. No Fall or Spring :).

If I dressed up, it wouldn't be natural for me and people definitely treat me like I have a successful business, but I'm also super approachable and fit in with them. I don't want to separate myself from the group. People love my shows because they are so laid back. Me too.

I agree that jeans can be very casual and even grungy, but a nice pair of jeans can actually look better than a pair of slacks if they fit well. I do think the the color of our denim apron is very casual though. I don't use it either. I use on of the 10 or so aprons I've earned. Of course, my faves are pink, but I have a black one with red lettering that I love too.

Ahh...the benefits of running your own business. I love it!!

With jeans, i think that it depends on the group and the jeans. I would never wear my beat up old jeans with the rips in them from PacSun at the mall to do a show in. I am thinking of doing a grilling themed show this spring, and I have a pair of nicer jeans that I can wear with leather shoes, a belt, and a polo or button-up and have more the "weekend grilling" look.Thus far, however, I've worn pressed khakis, polished black dressy clarks, a pressed blue oxford, and my favorite bowtie (right now a brown and blue paisley Vera Bradley).I think dressed is best for a standard kitchen cooking show, as, if nothing else, it says "i took the time to prepare for this event, and as such care about what I'm doing."

I worked for a company for 10 years that was strictly business casual. NO JEANS! Even it was 20 below outside, you simply put the long johns on first. So it may be a regional thing. I don't get out much so it is hard for me to say. So yes, I have been trained to think only in terms of slacks and polo shirts. In fact so much so, I do not even own a button down shirt!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • CassieMarie
  • Pampered Chef Support Group