• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Input on How to Price @ Garage Sale

In summary, a former consultant suggests pricing items at 30% off retail, 50-60% off retail, or 60% retail if they are new. They suggest mailing out a notice to friends and customers announcing the sale, and listing the items on websites like eBay or Craigslist.
aksusan
I'm a former consultant (2007-late 2008) with several items I want to put out at a garage sale this weekend. They are new, never used, or only used for display purposes and I have no idea how to price them. Obviously I got carried away with all the great deals consultants get and now need to start cleaning this stuff out because we're planning to move next year. I haven't used any of it in the past 3+ yrs, so I'm probably not going to.

Do you have any suggestions on how to price this stuff so it moves, but isn't just being given away?

Thanks!

Check out the outlet on someone's website (mine is /noorak) and see what kind of percentages PC takes off on previously retired items. If you have NIB items, I'd probably price them around 30% off retail, if they're gently used maybe around 50-60% off retail, especially if they're retired items. You can always come down on the price if someone is hesitant, but you can't raise it :)

New, esp if with packaging, start at 60% retail.

Just had a yard sale last weekend. I tried selling my retired products. People coming to yard sales are looking to spend a dollar or two (or nothing!!!). I had some higher priced items that I was selling for less than half their original retail and didn't sell them. The $45 carving set I think I sold for $15 or $20. Even linens - microfiber towels, dishtowels - people didn't want to pay $3 for. If you just want to get rid of it, price it to sell, be willing to negotiate, and start lowering your price the later it gets so you don't have to bring it back into the house. I wasn't willing to go too low on some of them because I can do better donating the items to raffles and writing it off on my taxes.

Good luck!

Consider listing those items on here. Or, as a former consultant, have you thought about Ebay? Obviously you want to get rid of things, but for items I know are worth money, I will do a little homework on Ebay and see what they are selling for (search for the item and then filter by "completed sales" to see what they are selling for recently). Then price accordingly for your garage sale, or list it on e-bay later if people won't buy it for your price. Just depends on how bad you want to just get rid of it, or actually make money on things you can make money on. PC sells.

We are rummage sale veterans. The Furry Guy can hardly pass one up. Trust me, you're much more likely to get a good price for those things through here, Ebay, or another place where people know the value of PC products.A friend of mine is a former Tupperware dealer. She asked The Furry Guy to come get the things she had left over after her rummage sale. She had NIP Tupperware items that she was trying to sell for about 1/2 retail, boxes and boxes of which were still left after the sale. I'm not saying the things weren't worth what she was asking. I'm saying that people do not go to rummage sales looking to spend $10 - $20 on things.

We are rummage sale veterans. The Furry Guy can hardly pass one up. Trust me, you're much more likely to get a good price for those things through here, Ebay, or another place where people know the value of PC products.

A friend of mine is a former Tupperware dealer. She asked The Furry Guy to come get the things she had left over after her rummage sale. She had NIP Tupperware items that she was trying to sell for about 1/2 retail, boxes and boxes of which were still left after the sale. I'm not saying the things weren't worth what she was asking. I'm saying that people do not go to rummage sales looking to spend $10 - $20 on things.

Maybe you could send out an email or FB announcement to your friends and former customers announcing you're having a clearance sale. You could do it at the same time as the rummage sale, just put those things in a separate area and mark it as "PC clearance". Then the PC people can go right to that area and who knows you may get that occasional rummager who also knows the value of those items too. I'd also put it on your advertisement. "... and NEW Pampered Chef items clearanced up to ____% off"

And try craigslist. Works every time!!! Some people even have it set up on their phone to alert them when key words are added to a posting. That's how we sold our pellet stove in 20minutes!!!

Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I was planning to make a separate Craigslist post with just the PC stuff listed already - so people wouldn't think it was garage sale prices for PC stuff.

I had thought about posting on here, or ebay but I really don't want to mess with shipping etc. I like the idea of listing it as "Pampered Chef clearance" -

fingers crossed! :love: and if it doesn't go for the prices I want it to - I'll probably just re-list on CL and see where it goes. I'm not in a huge rush, just wanted to get started cleaning it out.

thanks again. I knew you all would know what to do!

aksusan said:
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I was planning to make a separate Craigslist post with just the PC stuff listed already - so people wouldn't think it was garage sale prices for PC stuff.

This is a great idea for other garage sale items, too. Create the listing, and put in there that it can be seen/purchased/picked up at your garage sale. You can create multiple entries for each of your different items, then save the emails and not publish them until the day or evening before your garage sale.

Just a funny note about yard sales. I sold all my old crotchety non-pc tools (like whisk, peeler, can opener) for 25 and 50 cents last weekend. People are strange.

Around here people are using FB for yard sales...there are 4 county yard sales that I know of and people list things...I think its like a group. I don't do yard sales so I haven't really looked but I know when it first started my newsfeed was full of yard sale stuff. You can upload pics, etc. If nothing else you can make a fb status saying you have a lot of pampered chef items for sale and ask people to pm you for the list...or just put "like this status if you would like to see a list".

I was in a second-hand store yesterday and they had a NIB Torte Pan set they wanted $14 for. They also had 2 Season's Best...2001 and 2005...they wanted $1.50 for. I was excited to find the SB but when I saw the price I decided I didn't really need them. I have found SB in excellent condition at yard sales for 10 cents.

1. How do I determine the price for my items at a garage sale?

It is important to consider the original cost, condition, and demand of each item when setting prices. You can also research similar items online or at other garage sales to get an idea of the going rate.

2. Should I price items higher than what I want to sell them for?

It is common practice to price items slightly higher than what you are willing to sell them for. This allows room for negotiation with potential buyers.

3. How can I make sure my prices are fair?

One way to ensure fair pricing is to label all items with their original cost and then discount them based on their condition and demand. You can also ask friends or family for their opinion on your prices.

4. Is it okay to negotiate prices at a garage sale?

Yes, negotiating prices is a common practice at garage sales. Be prepared to be flexible and open to offers from buyers.

5. How can I make my prices stand out to potential buyers?

Using bold or colorful price tags, grouping items with similar prices, and offering discounts for multiple purchases can help make your prices more appealing to buyers. You can also advertise special deals or discounts on social media or with signs at your sale.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Sheilainwv
  • Melissa78
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kitchenqueen