• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Input From Former Mk Consultants

any sales are generated. With PC you are paid as you go. You are not required to purchase any of the new products. You can just use the kit contents and follow the new recipes with each SB that are geared for the kit. Plus the company gives you an opportunity to earn the new products for free.
winklermom
I have a young lady that I'm planning to sit down with this week and discuss the business opportunity. I mentioned it to her a few months ago when I was doing a show for her and she said that she had tried MK but was no good at "selling stuff." First of all, I believe that our products will sell themselves but I would also like to know how PC differs from MK. I've heard several things such as mandatory meetings where you have to be "dressed up." Is there anything else that any former MK consultants could tell me that will help me when I talk to her? TIA!!

I wouldn't focus on the negatives of MK but the positives of PC but in a way that highlights maybe what she ran into before. We don't have to carry inventory or pay for credit card charges. Everybody cooks.

wadesgirl said:
I wouldn't focus on the negatives of MK but the positives of PC but in a way that highlights maybe what she ran into before. We don't have to carry inventory or pay for credit card charges. Everybody cooks.

I don't necessarily plan to focus on the negatives of MK...I'm generally a pretty positive person. I would just like to be able to point out the differences between the two. I had forgotten about inventory, though. I'll have to remember that, too, because I believe that's a great plus for us. I also like the fact that we don't have to pay for anything before our customers do. I know that is not the case with Avon.

Thanks for the input! ;)

My sister sells MK and I know one thing that is hard for her is dealing with the inventory and keeping up with the new things. Cosmetics expire and it's costly to be sitting on a bunch of inventory. Then to have to clear things out that don't sell well or she has too much of...SO one plus w/ PC is that you are not required to purchase any of the new products. You can just use the kit contents and follow the new recipes with each SB that are geared for the kit. Plus the company gives you an opportunity to earn the new products for free.

I myself am a former MK consultant. I love PC soooo much more due to the inventory situation for one, since if you're not getting the sales you want in MK you end up sitting on items that do expire and that get reformulated or whatnot. There are also a TON of limited edition items that end up useless to you if not sold during the time they are available to sell. As far as the meeting situation goes, my PC cluster meets once a month, whereas my MK unit meets once a week in formal business attire at all times. Once a week gets to be a bit hard to plan life around, although it does get you motivated more frequently. The kicker for me really was that I know more people that will invest in and use Pampered Chef products than MK...for me it only made sense to become part of a business that my family and friends would like to buy from, instead of literally starting from scratch...cosmetics are a very personal preference to most people and it is pretty hard to get a lifetime Lancome or Cover Girl user to switch over, whereas kitchen tools are much easier, since we can all see the benefits that PC products give us that other products just don't! I love PC and for my personal situation, switching to this company was the best decision I ever made!! I have made 6-7 times the amount of commission in 3 months that I made in 2 years with MK, and I couldn't ask for a better company to work for! I hope your recruiting talk goes well...let her know how awesome our jobs really are! Speak from the heart, and you will go far!! Good luck!!

winklermom said:
I don't necessarily plan to focus on the negatives of MK...I'm generally a pretty positive person. I would just like to be able to point out the differences between the two. I had forgotten about inventory, though. I'll have to remember that, too, because I believe that's a great plus for us. I also like the fact that we don't have to pay for anything before our customers do. I know that is not the case with Avon.

Thanks for the input! ;)

Yes with MK you have to put your money up first before you can make money. And if you get inventory that no one buys you are stuck with it.

The biggest thing for me was that people actually want to book and come to PC shows. I was with MK for 8 years. I wasn't actively pursuing it the entire time, but kept up enough to keep the discount. I was also the hostess who hosted shows for every company. The only show that I never had to struggle to get people to was PC.

This may no longer be true...but I know that in the past, MK consultants have had to pay for all host benefits out of pocket, and they also have had to pay for every CC transaction.

Someone may have more current info, but I know that was the case when my neighbor sold MK. Oh, and BTW, when she decided to quit - she had about $5,000 in inventory sitting in her basement that she had to sell at 50% off.

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh, and BTW, when she decided to quit - she had about $5,000 in inventory sitting in her basement that she had to sell at 50% off.

Yikes!! :eek:

Those are all very true. I was with MK for 15 years. Here are some differences (some were mentioned above).

PC No Inventory ~MK yes
PC No Deliveries (unless you have your own show) ~MK yes
PC company pays for host benefits ~MK consultant pays for them
MK Parties normally consists of about 2 - 6 people. PC Parties, the more the merrier.
MK does have a higher commission % but like someone mentioned before, you end up spending your commission on more products. Plus I think the show average is higher
PC sends us a paycheck so you can actually see it as money in the bank. MK you have to pay yourself & like we said before we would often "reinvest it".
MK's kit (showcase) doesn't come with computer program like P3. I bought 2 different programs that I paid over $100 for.

Here is some of the things that I think are the same.
The product sells it's self.
"Everyone eats" vs "everyone has skin"
Both offer a way for us to help people - help with skin or help in the kitchen
both companies have great training opportunities for anyone willing to use it.

Did I leave out anything. :)

yep Show average for PC is a lot higher, and with PC you dont have to come out of pocket for Guest or Hostess benefitsalso its like pulling teeth to get guests to come to a MK show and depending on how many mirrors the consultant has is how many attendees you can have where as with PC you can have as many as you wantLove being able to set up the show on the PC website to increase sales. The only ppl that will shop out of a MK catalog are ppl that already know the product. With PC you know you like a stone so you will want all the stones. Great for gift giving, fundraisers, bridal registriesOur software allows you to keep up with what ppl have ordered where with MK you have to input what they use in a different softwareI could go on and on, but I will end with one thing I always tell ppl that my son said to me"All you do is demo the product AND THEY BUY IT???????????" (caps in a shocking tone)PC sells itself, I dont feel I sell anything and i have been in door to door sales. We show ppl how to make their life in the kitchen easier.I would suggest that you show her by bringing her to one of your shows instead of trying to verbally convince her. Let her see how easy it is.My AD and I have new recruits go to both of our shows bc I do the interactive show and she does a demo show. That way they get to see both and decide what works best for them. Plus we role play a lot at meetings which is fun

I would agree that bringing her to an actual show might seal the deal for someone who has done MK before. The proof for me was in the show and seeing how much smoother and relaxed a PC show is compared to what I have always found to be high pressure MK parties are, I knew PC was the right place for me!

I did a show for her in November and this was when I first mentioned the business to her since she's quit her full-time job to be a stay-at-home mom to her baby. She had posted on FB a few months ago that she would like to make a few extra bucks to do something for her husband for his birthday. I really think that this will be a great fit for her but would like to have my ducks in a row prior to our meeting.Thanks to everyone for their input. If anyone else has anything they'd like to add, please feel free to do so.

Listen to the MP3's on recruiting. The one thing that got my hostess for last night was saying that there was a 4 show commitment (that is how I answered the question during the ticket game- I did tell her that it is 1250 later as we were talking, but that most consultants do it in 4 shows). I got those words from one of the audios, and I think it really took the pressure off. Obviously, they won't quit after 4 shows if they have shows on their books, but it lets them know that they aren't selling their life away.
MK really makes you feel like you would be the biggest loser if you quit, and I think that is why so many stick with it for so long.
I have also realized that I an in it for the career. I need full time income and am scheduling 10+ shows a month, and that is kind of intimidating to some potential recruits, so I like telling them that there isn't a huge commitment and they can do whatever they want. Obviously you will train her to be successful, but you have to realize that she may only want to do 1 show a month.

lesliec said:
I like telling them that there isn't a huge commitment and they can do whatever they want.

This is how I approached my friend who joined last night. When it clicked with me that PC isn't asking for a lifetime commitment. Signing with PC is a win/win situation. Even if you do decide after your $1250 that this isn't for you, you've still received over $550 products for $155, commission on the $1,250 that you sold, PC dollars for selling $1,250 and if you qualify in your first 30 days, there's usually another type of promotion that you receive as well like to cookware this month! WOW!!! What's not to love about that?? :love:

another thing I thought of is that our kit can be used in any kitchen where there mary kay kit is stricly to do shows and you can personally only use about 1/2 of it since its all meant for demo's on facials

PC paperwork is relatively stable - we only have a big change 2x a year with catalogs. MK does theirs quarterly I believe, with lots of little additional ones that are seasonal.

I did sign up with MK a long time ago. I wanted stuff at a discount, and wanted to help a friend. Never did get anyone to buy much except my family and BFF. I went to a meeting or two, and felt WAY out of place. The whole wear hose & heels (I don't own hose!) thing was a huge turnoff. Their whole attitude was not about why this product was awesome, but sell, sell, sell.

1. How do I cancel my membership with Mary Kay and become a former consultant?

To cancel your Mary Kay membership and become a former consultant, you will need to contact the Mary Kay customer service team at 1-800-627-9529. They will guide you through the cancellation process and inform you of any necessary steps.

2. Can I still purchase Mary Kay products after I become a former consultant?

Yes, you can still purchase Mary Kay products as a former consultant. However, you will no longer have access to the consultant discount and will need to purchase products at retail price.

3. Will I lose any rewards or commissions I earned as a Mary Kay consultant after I become a former consultant?

No, you will not lose any rewards or commissions you earned while working as a Mary Kay consultant. However, if you have not redeemed these rewards or commissions, you will need to do so before canceling your membership.

4. Do I need to return any products or materials to Mary Kay after I become a former consultant?

No, you are not required to return any products or materials to Mary Kay after becoming a former consultant. However, if you have any unsold products, you may choose to return them for a refund within 90 days of canceling your membership.

5. Can I still attend Mary Kay events and trainings after I become a former consultant?

Yes, you can still attend Mary Kay events and trainings as a former consultant. However, you will need to purchase tickets at full price and will not have access to any special discounts or perks reserved for active consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • BethCooks4U