• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Improve Your MFP Experience: Troubleshooting and Testing Tips

In summary, the new blade may not be as shiny as the original and it chop less efficiently than the original.
kam
Staff member
I got this when it came out and have absolutely hated it. It turns out I probably had a bad blade. So I did a return and just got the new blade. It actually looks more beat up than my original one did. It is NOT shiny. Should it be?

Also, how can I test this thing?

What should I be able to chop and in how many pumps? I just need an idea of what I should be expecting. I don't really have anything on-hand to test. So, maybe an idea of something cheaper that I can buy and test?

Here is my experience with the first (bad) blade:
I had done parsley, cilantro, and peas (for the seven layer sald in the current SB).

In each instance, I could have cut the items INDIVIDUALLY with a knife quicker than the MFP. The peas were half mush and half untouched. It was a half amount I had used. The herbs were barely even cut after about 5 minutes of pumping.

I mentioned this at my cluster meeting and said I didn't see what the big deal about this thing was. I have several other food processor type items in my house that are hands-down better. Heck, a dull knife would be better.

So my director mentioned about the blade being dull (seriously?, I can understand it becoming dull after many uses - but out of the box??!!).

So, that it what prompted the return.

ANY HELP would be appreciated!!!

I have had two blades now on my two MFP's and they are dulling again. I do not put them in the dishwasher, and am not misusing.. It is frustrating because it is my #1 selling item, but it mushes alot of things rather than chops them. I have one more show this week then off for two weeks due to Easter and I am going to return them both.

Glad it's not just me. My other blade never went in the dishwasher either. I don't put ANY of my cutting items (Pizza cutter, microplane, etc.) in the dishwasher - ever.

OK, I found some chives in my fridge. I cut them in half (the chive on the counter in the picture below the MFP is the size that went into the MFP). What you see in the MFP is AFTER 30 pumps. It seems as though they are barely touched! Is this right? Is this what I should expect?

This is a brand new blade, out of box, all I did was hand wash it.

Attachments

• MFP.jpg
    MFP.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
I have two MFPs and they both work great. Return that second blade. You are having the luck o' the Irish. Sorry.

BethCooks4U said:
I have two MFPs and they both work great. Return that second blade. You are having the luck o' the Irish. Sorry.

So the chives should be more chopped after 30 pumps? See why I thought this thing was useless?

I am OK returning the 2nd blade. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't expecting something from the MFP that was unreasonable.

As far as the shipping...the first blade was beyond 30 days so I paid the shipping. I just got this one yesterday...I shouldn't have to pay return shipping?

I would hope not! if they say you do argue the point.

BethCooks4U said:
I would hope not! if they say you do argue the point.

OK! Thanks for your help! :)

I see all the posts on how wonderful the MFP is - so I really want to see what everyone is raving about!

LOVE my MFP! You can't really say how many chops a certain thing will take because different things will take longer than others. Two big tips - do not fill it too full, makes it hard to chop and don't stop chopping once you start, keep pumping and keep going - this keeps the food moving and going and don't stop. 30 continual pumps will have much more power than 30 stop and go pumps. Some items will need to be chopped down before you put them in. Things like onions, I use the veggie wedger first. You can do a whole onion at once in the MFP. I'm not sure about peas - I'm thinking they might much up no matter what.I wash my blade in the dishwasher all the time.By the way - my MFP has replaced my food chopper at home and at my shows!!

Same for me. I only pull my food chopper out for things like chocolate. I don't bother with the veggie wedger though because I still have to dirty a knife to cut the wedges in half. The video at cc shows the size the items need to be and the veggie wedger size is too big. I find that it also matters what you put in first. Start with things that will produce more juice and if adding something like cilantro I recommend putting something else in on top of that as if it's put in last it doesn't seem to chop the cilantro as small. I don't have any issues with stopping to check my progress and pushing down any big pieces as I go.When I do chicken salad I cube the chicken first so it just needs a bit of additional chopping. I found that too big of pieces make it hard to get the handle moving. Also, filling the bowl too full makes it really hard to work the handle too.When I first had it I made a fruit dip with it and it worked great except when it came to taking the blade out it had created a kind of suction and it was really hard to get it out of the bowl - i think it had something to do with the marshmallow creme. Don't think I sold any MFPs at that party but I do every time I make salsa with it.

BethCooks4U said:
Same for me. I only pull my food chopper out for things like chocolate. I don't bother with the veggie wedger though because I still have to dirty a knife to cut the wedges in half. The video at cc shows the size the items need to be and the veggie wedger size is too big. I find that it also matters what you put in first. Start with things that will produce more juice and if adding something like cilantro I recommend putting something else in on top of that as if it's put in last it doesn't seem to chop the cilantro as small. I don't have any issues with stopping to check my progress and pushing down any big pieces as I go.

When I do chicken salad I cube the chicken first so it just needs a bit of additional chopping. I found that too big of pieces make it hard to get the handle moving. Also, filling the bowl too full makes it really hard to work the handle too.

When I first had it I made a fruit dip with it and it worked great except when it came to taking the blade out it had created a kind of suction and it was really hard to get it out of the bowl - i think it had something to do with the marshmallow creme. Don't think I sold any MFPs at that party but I do every time I make salsa with it.

I usually just wedge the onion and never have a problem (unless it's a huge onion).

I notice when I demo it during a party I usually sell more than just talking about it. I sold three on Friday night just by showing the salsa.

wadesgirl said:
LOVE my MFP! You can't really say how many chops a certain thing will take because different things will take longer than others. Two big tips - do not fill it too full, makes it hard to chop and don't stop chopping once you start, keep pumping and keep going - this keeps the food moving and going and don't stop. 30 continual pumps will have much more power than 30 stop and go pumps. Some items will need to be chopped down before you put them in. Things like onions, I use the veggie wedger first. You can do a whole onion at once in the MFP.

I'm not sure about peas - I'm thinking they might much up no matter what.

I wash my blade in the dishwasher all the time.

By the way - my MFP has replaced my food chopper at home and at my shows!!

I guess what I was trying to figure out was about how many pumps (50 or 500 - just ballpark) you would expect for certain items. I see everyone rave about it - but wasn't sure what the "comparison" was.

I can chop many things in my regular Food Processor and also in my mini-prep (cuisinart). And I completely understand that those items will do the job MUCH faster...but the MFP NEVER got anywhere close to the results I got from those. So I wasn't sure if it was normal to be pumping over 100-200 times to get any kind of result. Was I just being impatient?

When I did the parsley and cilantro, I did small bunches at a time, and they never chopped. In fact, after several minutes (and, yes, I took breaks, but would easily pump 20-30 times in a row), I finally removed the herbs and put them in a prep bowl and used the scissors.

I keep doing the chives that I show in the picture and they aren't chopping, just some are now mushing.

Personally I don't do herbs by themselves so I can't comment on how those are supposed to work. I just use the shears for that. I don't think I've ever pumped it for as many as 50 times for anything. Even 30 seems high. I'll have to count next time.If I had to pump it 100 times to chop anything I wouldn't think it was worth it.

kam said:
I guess what I was trying to figure out was about how many pumps (50 or 500 - just ballpark) you would expect for certain items. I see everyone rave about it - but wasn't sure what the "comparison" was.

I can chop many things in my regular Food Processor and also in my mini-prep (cuisinart). And I completely understand that those items will do the job MUCH faster...but the MFP NEVER got anywhere close to the results I got from those. So I wasn't sure if it was normal to be pumping over 100-200 times to get any kind of result. Was I just being impatient?

When I did the parsley and cilantro, I did small bunches at a time, and they never chopped. In fact, after several minutes (and, yes, I took breaks, but would easily pump 20-30 times in a row), I finally removed the herbs and put them in a prep bowl and used the scissors.

I keep doing the chives that I show in the picture and they aren't chopping, just some are now mushing.

It has to be your blade! I did salsa in it the other night and first put in the cilantro, garlic and jalapeno. After I chopped that up fine I took the lid off and showed it around the room and they were all impressed at how fine it all was. Then I added the onion, chopped that and finally the tomatoes in two batches.

wadesgirl said:
It has to be your blade! I did salsa in it the other night and first put in the cilantro, garlic and jalapeno. After I chopped that up fine I took the lid off and showed it around the room and they were all impressed at how fine it all was. Then I added the onion, chopped that and finally the tomatoes in two batches.
We all do it differently. I put everything in at once and then move it to a bowl and do another tomato by itself, then mix it in and add the lime juice.I like to show that it's super quick and easy with as few steps as possible.

BethCooks4U said:
We all do it differently. I put everything in at once and then move it to a bowl and do another tomato by itself, then mix it in and add the lime juice.

I like to show that it's super quick and easy with as few steps as possible.

I do it that way to get the first stuff as small as possible so you aren't getting a big chunk of jalapeno or garlic in there.

I find that if you do fast, hard abrupt pumps it works better as opposed to just pumping it evenly. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but it seems like the more aggressive you are the better it chops. If you are too gentle it just spins. I hope that helps.

A note about cilantro and parsley--they have to be completely DRY! Otherwise, they get all mushed up around the blades.

I find if I only have very light weight items in there they tend to fly around and the blades dont catch them...maybe that's what's happening with your chives? I think my blade is dulling out now but I just did some salsa today and it seems pretty good. I put in the "harder" type foods first...ie apple, pear, etc.and then add in the lighter weight items.

I haven't noticed a problem with the blade, but after only 4 months, the handle broke.....I was at a show and pushing it and it just fell down real loose and then it popped back up and I could chop a few times and then it would die again. Had it replaced and just recently I noticed I'm having problems again. It's too expensive of an item to be having issues with it in my opinion

monicag said:
I haven't noticed a problem with the blade, but after only 4 months, the handle broke.....I was at a show and pushing it and it just fell down real loose and then it popped back up and I could chop a few times and then it would die again. Had it replaced and just recently I noticed I'm having problems again. It's too expensive of an item to be having issues with it in my opinion

I have two that I use a few times a week and have not had any issues with them.

Thank you everyone for the great tips!

kreaser said:
I find if I only have very light weight items in there they tend to fly around and the blades dont catch them...maybe that's what's happening with your chives? I think my blade is dulling out now but I just did some salsa today and it seems pretty good. I put in the "harder" type foods first...ie apple, pear, etc.and then add in the lighter weight items.

That sounds plausible. Except I had the same issue with peas for the 7 layer salad in the new SB.

So, I am really thinking the blade again. I just called and they are sending me a label and I will have to drop it off at the Post Office. Hopefully the next one will be A-OK!

I demo this at every single show - it is my FAVORITE item next to the Simple Slicer which I demo at every show as well. I take a couple of potatoes with me to show them how neat this really works. I slice potatoes with my Simple Slicer showing them how the different slices look and I put a cut up potato in the MFP and chop away - sometimes I let guests do it too. It is definitely a big seller for me. I love my Food Chopper too but I use the MFP more. I have one at home and one I take to my shows because mine is always in use.

I wonder if the issue isn't with the blade, but rather the lid? I have 3 MFPs -- two work great and one, the pumping of the handle just doesn't spin the blade like it's supposed to. I keep meaning to call and have it replaced, but I haven't gotten around to it because I really only use the two I have. The third was a 60% off item someone didn't want so I ordered to have an extra.

Anyway, you might compare your MFP to someone else's on your team without anything in it. Just push down on the handle of each at the same time and see if they both turn the blade the same number of times with each pump.

Just another thought in the mystery.

Shari in TX

Shari in TX said:
I wonder if the issue isn't with the blade, but rather the lid? I have 3 MFPs -- two work great and one, the pumping of the handle just doesn't spin the blade like it's supposed to. I keep meaning to call and have it replaced, but I haven't gotten around to it because I really only use the two I have. The third was a 60% off item someone didn't want so I ordered to have an extra.

Anyway, you might compare your MFP to someone else's on your team without anything in it. Just push down on the handle of each at the same time and see if they both turn the blade the same number of times with each pump.

Just another thought in the mystery.

Shari in TX

Ah...good idea. Maybe I'll hold off sending the blade back a few days. We have our cluster meeting next week. I can bring it with me. We can test it empty as you suggest and maybe I'll also bring an ingredient to test in mine and my director's at the same time.

From the tips above, I see that herbs may not be a great choice. Any suggestions if I were going to use the MFP on a single ingredient - what would be a good test?

kam said:
Ah...good idea. Maybe I'll hold off sending the blade back a few days. We have our cluster meeting next week. I can bring it with me. We can test it empty as you suggest and maybe I'll also bring an ingredient to test in mine and my director's at the same time.From the tips above, I see that herbs may not be a great choice. Any suggestions if I were going to use the MFP on a single ingredient - what would be a good test?
Onion would be a good test. Put half in each MFP. And it keeps so you can take it home and use it later - no waste.

BethCooks4U said:
Onion would be a good test. Put half in each MFP. And it keeps so you can take it home and use it later - no waste.

Excellent! Cheap, too!

OK, it's GOT to be the top. I called to replace the blade AGAIN and instead of waiting for the old one (I was holding on to it for a week to bring to my cluster meeting) PC sent me the replacement.

So, this is my third blade.

I used it on 1/3 of an onion this morning - and I cut the onion in small chunks and it took about 20 -30 pumps, but it DID chop them. So, I was happy.

Then I put some baby carrots in and it didn't even graze them.

Tonight I put some peanuts in and it did NOT chop them. I thought we could use this on nuts? Am I mistaken? Am I expecting too much?

This is AFTER 80 pumps...20 at a time. I am not being gentle. I am pumping pretty rapidly.

It seems that some are really sawdust and some are not even touched.

That was my experience with the peas. Some were baby-food mush texture and the rest were whole.:(

Ended up using the Food Chopper anyway.

Attachments

• IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 433
I would say it has to be the top. It's just not moving the blade enough each time. Hopefully they'll be willing to replace that for you and that will solve all your problems. It's really a very cool product when it's working well.

Shari in TX

I love my MFP. I make Mango Confetti Salsa in it and have always sold at least 1 when showing how well it works. It is a great product to have for outdoor shows, and I will be using it with my grilling shows while the pizza is on the grill.

I would have the entire MFP replaced. At this point, you can't be sure WHAT the problem is. I have used my MFP at least once a week since I got it over almost a year ago and it still works just as well as it did out of the box. You are just not having good luck with yours.

1. Should my new blade for the MFP look shiny?

No, the blade for the MFP should not necessarily look shiny. Some blades may have a matte finish, while others may have a slight shine. The most important factor is the sharpness of the blade, not its appearance.

2. How can I test my MFP to ensure it is working properly?

One way to test your MFP is to use it to chop various types of food, such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts. You can also try blending ingredients to make dips or sauces. Another option is to use the MFP to mix dough or make bread crumbs. These tasks should be done easily and efficiently with the MFP, so if you are having difficulty or the results are not satisfactory, there may be an issue with your machine.

3. What should I expect in terms of chopping performance from my MFP?

The MFP should be able to chop most types of food quickly and evenly with just a few pumps. The exact number of pumps may vary depending on the food being chopped and the desired consistency. As a general guideline, most foods should be chopped within 10-15 pumps. If you are having to pump excessively or the results are not satisfactory, there may be an issue with your machine.

4. Can you recommend a cheaper food item that I can use to test my MFP?

If you do not have any food on hand to test your MFP, you can try using a small amount of uncooked rice or beans. These items are inexpensive and can give you an idea of how well your MFP is performing. Simply add a small amount to the MFP and pump a few times to see how it chops or blends the food.

5. What could have caused my previous blade to become dull so quickly?

There are a few factors that could contribute to a blade becoming dull quickly, such as using the MFP on hard or frozen foods, not properly cleaning and drying the blade after use, or storing it in a way that can cause damage. It is also possible that the blade may have been damaged during shipping or manufacturing. If you continue to experience issues with dull blades, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
mjbroncobabe
  • grgann
  • Products and Tips
Replies