• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with Banana Squash: Recipes & How-To

In summary, my neighbor gave me some squash from his garden. I don't know the first thing about it, so I went searching for recipes. I boiled it and then added cheddar and some condensed soup, and also liked toslice it in chunks, toss with EVOO, salt, pepper and crushed garlic, put in my grill basket with onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper and grill them. I also like to marinate squash, zucchini and broccoli in teriayki sauce and grill them using the grill basket.
AJPratt
Silver Member
My neighbor gave me some squash from his garden (looks like it might be banana sqaush). I don't know the first thing about it: how to prepare it, do I need to peel it? Does anyone have any simple recipes and step by step instructions? LOL

HOW'S the baby? Can't believe she is almost a year old.

i bread mine and saute it like i do my zuchini
search allrecipes for squash casserole i used to have it (think cracker barrel or black eyed pea if you have those restaraunts)
i boiled it and i think added cheddar and some condensed soup maybe need to look for it myself have yellow squash everywhere in my kiitchenci

We have squash coming out of or ears right now! LOL! I have 2 easy favorites-
(1) Wash the squash, don't peel, just slice it (the UM is great to use for squash), dice an onion to go in it, then just add salt & pepper - to taste, 1 tbs of olive oil & 1/8 c water. Put it in the oven on 350 until it is tender about 45 min. When it is done drain the excess water out & eat it like that or put cheese on it!
(2) Wash, slice, dice onion, salt & pepper & cover with water, boil until tender, & drain. Mash squash mixture & add - 2 eggs, 2 tbs sugar, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 8oz. shredded cheese - stir all of this together, pour in casserole dish & sprinkle with crushed Ritz crackers. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.
Hope this helps. I have been using 1 or the other every night. :D

I like to slice it in chunks, toss with EVOO, salt pepper and crushed garlic, put in my grill basket with onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper and grill them. It is soooo good that way!!!

Just wash, chop into cubes and put it into your salad - DELISH!

Here in SE Oklahoma we wash it, slice it...use your UM...dip it in flour seasoned with salt/pepper, then throw it into a skillet with oil and fry it a little crispy. Some people dip it in milk then the flour mixture and deep fry it. I also like to steam it and grill it.

Since my dad has to watch how much fried food he eats, this is one way he cooks it:
Wash and slice squash. On a greased baking sheet, arrange squash in a single layer; salt and pepper. Spray a light coating of cooking spray (or use your spritzer and spray with oil) over squash. Bake in oven until squash becomes golden brown. After mine has baked for a while, I sometimes turn the oven to low broil just for a minute or two, to add a little extra crispiness.
We also do this with frozen okra.
I also like to marinate squash, zucchini and broccoli in teriayki sauce and grill them using the grill basket. The pineapple rum sauce also tastes good with this.

OMG! Thanks so much for the recipes! It came out delish! I actually had enough squash that I tried them all!

1. What is banana squash?

Banana squash is a type of winter squash that is shaped like a large, elongated banana. It has a yellow-orange skin and a sweet, nutty flavor.

2. How do I select a ripe banana squash?

Look for a squash that feels heavy for its size and has a smooth, firm skin without any soft spots or bruises. The skin should also have a deep, rich color.

3. Do I need to peel banana squash before cooking?

It is not necessary to peel banana squash before cooking, as the skin is edible and becomes soft and tender when cooked. However, you can peel it if desired.

4. What are some ways to cook banana squash?

Banana squash can be roasted, baked, steamed, or sautéed. It can also be used in soups, stews, and casseroles. The possibilities are endless!

5. Can I freeze cooked banana squash?

Yes, you can freeze cooked banana squash. Allow it to cool completely, then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefJoyJ
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lamarquepchef
  • elizabethfox