• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What kind of shortening do I use for melting with white chocolate?

I used to buy the sticks because of their convenience when making icing (Wilton's recipe, doubled, uses one stick). But the per pound price is SO much more than the other containers. With the MAC and the Easy Adjustable measuring tools I can go with the bigger tub, and not pay as much.
kam
Staff member
All you bakers out there: which kind of shortening do I use?

I want to make an almond bar recipe and the topping is white chocolate with almonds:
2 oz white chocolate baking bar, coarsely chopped (1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons shortening
¼ cup sliced almonds

I need to melt the white chocolate with shortening. When a recipe calls for "shortening" I always think of Crisco shortening (in the blocks or canister).
But I know butter or oil can be considered shortening. ?

What would you use to melt with the chocolate?

yes, like Crisco

If the recipe calls for shortening, you'll want to use shortening, not butter or oil. The brand doesn't really matter that much, although those Crisco sticks can be very handy (albeit much more expensive per ounce).

My votes is for crisco too!

I actually just stumbled across a great site the other day that talked about different components of baking, and what they do (eg leaveners, flours, liquids etc).

I learned that oils are TECHNICALLY not shorteners, because in baking they do not do what solid fats do, which is stop the gluten strands from the flour get too long (hence the name shortener!), which toughens the final product.

Pretty interesting! (At least I thought so!). There was a ton of info about all sorts of baking related stuff. So for those are are interested, it was

baking911.com homepage
and
http://www.baking911.com/howto/how_baking_works.htm

Thanks everyone. I thought I should use actual shortening - but wasn't sure if recipes use the term "shortening" to mean butter or oil too...and I wasn't keen on opening a block for just 2 Tbsp.

AnnieBee said:
My votes is for crisco too!

I actually just stumbled across a great site the other day that talked about different components of baking, and what they do (eg leaveners, flours, liquids etc).

I learned that oils are TECHNICALLY not shorteners, because in baking they do not do what solid fats do, which is stop the gluten strands from the flour get too long (hence the name shortener!), which toughens the final product.

Pretty interesting! (At least I thought so!). There was a ton of info about all sorts of baking related stuff. So for those are are interested, it was

baking911.com homepage
and
http://www.baking911.com/howto/how_baking_works.htm

Great sites, AnnieBee. Can't wait to get home tonight and spend some time reading the info!

kam said:
I wasn't keen on opening a block for just 2 Tbsp.

I used to buy the sticks because of their convenience when making icing (Wilton's recipe, doubled, uses one stick). But the per pound price is SO much more than the other containers. With the MAC and the Easy Adjustable measuring tools I can go with the bigger tub, and not pay as much.

What is shortening and why is it used in cooking?

Shortening is a type of solid fat made from vegetable oils. It is used in cooking and baking to add moisture, tenderness, and structure to baked goods. It also helps to prevent sticking and makes foods flakier.

What is the difference between butter and shortening?

Butter is made from animal fat, while shortening is made from plant-based oils. Butter has a higher water content, which can affect the texture and moisture of baked goods. Shortening has a higher melting point, making it better for recipes that require high temperatures.

Can I substitute shortening with butter in a recipe?

In most cases, you can substitute shortening with butter in a 1:1 ratio. However, keep in mind that this may affect the texture and flavor of the final product. Shortening is also a better option for recipes that require high temperatures, as butter has a lower smoke point.

What is the best type of shortening to use in baking?

The best type of shortening to use in baking depends on personal preference and the type of recipe. Vegetable shortening is a common choice, as it is flavorless and has a high smoke point. However, you can also use butter, coconut oil, or lard as a substitute.

Can I use shortening that has gone bad?

No, it is not safe to use shortening that has gone bad. Signs of spoiled shortening include a rancid smell, off color, or mold growth. It is important to always check the expiration date and properly store shortening in a cool, dry place to prevent spoilage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC