• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Find Encouragement for Your Business and Keep Pushing Forward - Amanda's Story

In summary, the author is considering going back to work one day a week at a nursing home to make some extra money. She is grateful for all the blessings she has, but is concerned about the challenges she would face if she went back to work.
pchefinski
I know there are a million other posts like this, but I guess I'm going to be selfish and repetitive and come here asking for some encouragement. I don't want to give up my business, but I'm needing a little hug and some loving encouragement and gentle ideas to help me push through. My husband has been supportive of my PC business in that he says as long as I break even monetarily, I can do it (which is fine with me). I have been inactive for a couple months but I know that my business can flourish and do very well.. I just have to get a few shows scheduled again. Maybe I'm delusional :p but I like to think once I get a few shows going, I'll be able to get a few bookings, and then it'll start the ball rolling. Since I started a year ago, my business hasn't done that well (I've had about 6 shows) and I'd like to change that. I've put myself out there; put up flyers at local grocery stores, talked to random people (cashiers, tellers, etc), called local businesses about collecting orders for HWC (everybody already did their donating for the Relay For Life event last week--as if they can only donate to the cause once!?! :mad:), contacted my old customers (not that many altogether, and nothing came from that), tried to get the HWC press release into the local papers. I've wanted to join the local chamber but we just dont have the money to do that right now.

See the thing is, my husband just came home last night and said "what do you think about going back to work just one day a week? we could use the extra money and my brother could watch Elijah." and truth be told, it sounded good to me. Then I thought about it for a while and realized that the only reason it sounded good was because I'd get out of the house for a while each week (which any SAHM definately needs).. and I thought about all the junk that would come from going back to work at the nursing home (that's where I'd have to go to get any decent money from just one days work, minus gas costs and paying for brother to babysit).. I remember all the reasons why I wanted to leave the nursing home. Don't get me wrong, I definately respect those that are still there because it is really hard and underpaid work, but I feel my place is at home raising my son right now. And who wouldn't want to escape the bickering and back-biting and being taken advantage of, and all that stuff. I thought of all the reasons I was thankful that God has allowed me to be able to be a stay-at-home-mom. I'll go back to work at the nursing home one day a week if that's what I have to do, but I'd love not to have to do that. I'd love to be able to pay my BIL for a few hours a couple nights a week while I get out of the house and do shows.. something that I love, something that's fun, where I could make some good money in just a few hours time. Is that just wishful thinking when I have no bookings on my calendar at all? Or is it attainable? I've tried so many things to no avail, but maybe there is something that I haven't tried.. or maybe the things I AM doing, I'm doing wrong. (That is a distinct possibility! LOL) I'm keeping my chin up and keeping my eye on the prize, but I'd love to feel that jump-up-and-down joy that you get when you finally get that one booking on your calendar or you have your first $1k show.. I'm fighting to stay positive, but I think my husband secretly thinks that I've just abandoned this and that I'm not doing well at all and might not be able to be successful with my PC business, so he's wanting me to get something steady and dependable, like one day a week at the nsg home. I, like some others I've read about on here, want to be able to say "Save your vacation time babe, we're going on a 2nd honeymoon courtesy of TPC" or even just have some extra money to go out on a date and have him know that it's on PC! Maybe that's mean of me to want to say "I told you so" but I really just want to be successful at this.. So, I guess I come to y'all because you're like a huge group of really close friends.. and that's where you go when you need an encouraging hug or word. Thank you everyone -- I know that I'll be back on top of the mountain soon, but right now I need that boost to keep me pushing toward the peak.. :D God bless and thanks so much! ~ Amanda

Oh, P.S.: I'm going to check on getting our church for a HWC Open House on the 20th -- maybe I'll get some May/June bookings from that.

Hey Amanda, I am sorry that you're having a rough time. I know how hard it is to work your butt off with your kids and have your husband still treat you like you need to go "back to work" I too want to be able to tell my husband, who has never been supportive, to pack his bags for the Bahamas. I thought about getting a "real job" but I have already invested so much in PC mentally, physically and financially. I decided that I wanted a real paycheck and I was going to get it- with PC.

It sounds like you have tried all the right things, but maybe the timing was off? Keep trying, you never know. Maybe the grocery store flyer didn't work, but what if next week the same flyer would get you five calls? You never know until you try. Maybe you could offer an extra incentive to get those first few shows. Also, make sure you talk strongly about bookings at those shows, or you will land right back where you are now. If you are able to get the HWC show tell everyone twice that another $3 goes to help fight breast cancer if they book a show. Sometimes it helps if you get them to commit to the next 6 months, then zero in on a month and date later. Obviously, try to get them to pick a date, but if they start to back off say "all I need from you is to commit to having a show in the next 6 months, and you can even pick the month that is right for you later" then if they flake not only are they flaking on you, but on the ACS. They don't know that ACS gets the $3 either way.

P.S. If you can't get the church to do HWC hold your own. It has given me a lot more confidence offering catalogs to people knowing that we are both helping a great cause.

Another quick note- I am going to call everyone who orders on my fundraiser and personally thank them for ordering and tell them exactly how much money they are donating to the ACS. Then I am going to add $3 to that amount and say "if you agree to hold a pampered chef show, even a catalog show, in the next 6 months then $___ will be donated instead" (original total plus the 3 dollar booking donation)

I was also thinking about offering a larger donation, like $30 if they join PC. Do you think that is too much to give for a recruit?

You may not want to hear this, but maybe going back to work 1 day a week would be good for your PC business too! You will be able to meet new people (co-workers, family members of those in your care, other caregivers at the facility).

One thing that might work is going door to door in your neighborhood and invite them all to a party at your home or just talking up the HWC. Don't stop in your neighborhood. Seek out areas that you would like to be doing business in.

Ask your husband about placing an ad for aout 3 months in your local paper. Not in the classisfied section, but see if there is a local business section in the paper. In my paper there is a section for business card sized ads for local businesses. I have had an ad in for about a year now and have gotten quite a bit of business from it. I switch the ad every month to highlight specials.

Most of all, don't give up! If PC is what you want then you have to try. See what your director says. See if she has any books from the Lemonaid Lady, Christie Northup. One of her books has nothing but ideas about how to get bookings. One lists ways month by month (theme oriented).

Amanda,
I'm in SS3 and I work another full-time job. It's not my ambition to go fulll-time with TPC, so my situation is very different. I would suggest you contact all the local women-oriented businesses for a HWC show this month. I'm doing one at our local Merle Norman studio tomorrow and can't wait! You could contact all women-only fitness centers in your town. Some people are even getting a Walmart HWC. Also, show the host special items every chance you get for May and June if you have them. If you don't have them, get them ASAP. I just got my cups and squares last night and they are so cute! It makes people want to book to earn when they see them.

I would also work hard at promoting catalog shows. If you have a website, it's so easy to do by email. If not, hardcopy cats. work, too. Tell all of your customers they can earn host benefits for a catalog show and ask if there's something they'd like to earn for free. My SIL just booked a catalog show because she wants the Woven Selections June special. She just had a cooking show last month and that's a great incentive. She wants 2 of them, so I'm encouraging her to get a June booking from her cat show and she can get another one as a booking benefit.

Have you tried offering to have shows in your home if people don't want them in theirs? Have you tried offering the furnish the ingredients or mail out the invitations for them?

Do you have mini-catalogs and business cards? I keep them in my bag and give them out very freely (they are inexpensive so you can do that). Hang in there and keep asking! Ask everyone for orders, bookings and consultants. Hope this helps.

Jeanie Gay

You can make this work!Amanda,

Nope, it isn’t always easy. Even after five years I have times when I look at my calendar and wonder what has happened.

The number one reason I have my business? I don’t ever want to work for anyone else again!

So, where do you go from here? First, don’t seem desperate! You probably aren’t’ doing that but if you are it can really cause problems. You are providing an opportunity to people who host a show or purchase a product. They are not doing you a favor – you are doing your job.

Okay, so we’ve put desperation behind us. Decide on an incentive that you are willing to offer. Free groceries. Product priced at the day a show is booked. Whatever you can comfortably afford to offer. Then, get back on the phone with all your customers. Have you heard of making five contacts (contacts not calls) a day for 21 days? That’s one way . . .or just call them all as soon as you are able.

When you call, inquire again about their products and then ask if you can tell them about your special offer. By the way, it’s time to focus on filling your June calendar unless you need sales in May to stay active.

If they don’t want to hear about your special, don’t hang up yet. Tell them that you could use their assistance and ask for a referral. Do they have a friend, relative, co-worker who always holds shows, loves Pampered Chef or really enjoys spending time in the kitchen? One of my recruits has great success in asking for referral . . .and it can’t hurt to try.

I bet you can make more money spending one night a week at a Cooking show than you can at the nursing home, and it will be a lot more fun.

One last hint. If you want to hold one show a week, fill in one show each week before going back and filling in a second show that week. Just a little psychological (but effective) game you can play with yourself.

Good luck Amanda. You can do it!

Amanda

I am in the same boat you are and feeling the same way. The way I have stayed active throughout my pregnancy and these first few months of my daughters life is through catalog shows. Is there anyone you who will circulate the catalog around the nursing home for you? This would be a good way to go active again and maybe get some bookings, even if it is just one. Look into any bridal fairs, craft fairs, etc. in your area. There is a booking article on this site that has a lot of ways to get more bookings. Good luck and God Bless!

gilliandanielle said:
Another quick note- I am going to call everyone who orders on my fundraiser and personally thank them for ordering and tell them exactly how much money they are donating to the ACS. Then I am going to add $3 to that amount and say "if you agree to hold a pampered chef show, even a catalog show, in the next 6 months then $___ will be donated instead" (original total plus the 3 dollar booking donation)

I was also thinking about offering a larger donation, like $30 if they join PC. Do you think that is too much to give for a recruit?

I don't think $30 is too much, but wait until they qualify otherwise you are out money and so is PC. Also, some people may not be motivated by that, so make sure to find out what motivates them and go from there.

cmdtrgd said:
I don't think $30 is too much, but wait until they qualify otherwise you are out money and so is PC. Also, some people may not be motivated by that, so make sure to find out what motivates them and go from there.
Thanks Kate! I didn't really think about that! I will definetly wait until they qualify, then do I just send my own check to ACS?? I did get a donation envelope with my breast cancer brochures. Just put it in there after they qualify and send it off?

Amanda,

Don't give up!:) You may still have options open to you. Since you have nursing skills, have you thought of signing up with a temp service? I know from experience that those folks often make double or triple what regular staff does. What about doing nursing care in people's homes? There might be a market for that in your town. In each instance, you will be broadening your exposure to people, enhancing your ability to "talk up" the Pampered Chef story. You might even try joining the Chamber of Commerce. Commerce members usually try to do business with each other -- and they have "networking" opportunites so you can "broadcast the seed" of your Pampered Chef business.

I like the following quote: "You become what you affirm; positively affirm your greatness, genius and fullest potential." -- Mark Victor Hansen.

It only takes a little effort to cause a big result.:)

Trish

My director had a great suggestion which I have not done yet but I will share it with you. Try going to all of your local beauty salons with a plate full of cookies and some catalogs with order forms. Ask the owner if she would mind letting you leave a little snack and the catalogs in her shop once a month for the gals getting their hair done to enjoy. Then if anyone wants to place an order the shop can give you a call to pick it up. If they get enough orders in a given month tell them you will do a mystery host drawing with all the employees so one of them will be "thanked" with free items.

My director says she dose this with her salon and people look forward to getting their hair done on PC day (when she brings the snack). Plus the employees love her! Hope this might help you some. She suggested to leave the snack with contact info even if they say no just to thank them for their time. Hope this idea helps!! The best of luck!! YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!

Amanda,

I'm so sorry to hear that things are rough right now. I wish I had the perfect answer. There have been some good suggestions above. I know you have been working your business hard and have some great ideas from other posts. Do remember that what we do now affects our business 90 days from now so maybe the results are still coming. Keep us posted and God Bless!

Amanda...big {{{{HUGS}}}}...first stay positive, if you think you can do then you can!! What I have found that is key is consitancy, if you are consistant with the things that work you will have more of those things, such as bookings. If you are consistant in finding people to book then you will have more bookings...so, what I am saying is if you strive to talk to 10 people about PC everyday you will find someone who wants to order or wants to book a show. When you are doing this everyday you will be re-filling the pot so to speak, don't ever stop. Wear a PC item with you everywhere and use it as a conversation starter. Have an open house or go to the park and talk to the mom's there, join a mom's group and once you become friends with them confide in them and ask for their help.

I am going back to work full time as I can't provide the structured environment that my twins need. I told my director that I am getting a job to boost my bookings so that I can quit and do PC full time again!! I know how you feel about being down in the dumps. The other thing that you should do is to go to conference. I know you might not be able to afford it (I really couldn't last year either) but, it might be in your and your business's best interest to bite the bullet and just do it. You will find that rush you spoke about at conference and you will feel completely different about what you can accomplish.

Hang in there, you can do this!!!!!

Chef Kearns said:
Ask your husband about placing an ad for aout 3 months in your local paper. Not in the classisfied section, but see if there is a local business section in the paper. In my paper there is a section for business card sized ads for local businesses. I have had an ad in for about a year now and have gotten quite a bit of business from it. I switch the ad every month to highlight specials.

Just out of curiosity...how much do you pay for your ad?? Do you have an estimate of how much business this generated as well? I'm wondering if it's out of my budget or if I should even pursue this idea! Thanks in advance!

Persistence and PerseverenceDid I spell that right? :)

Amanda,

Just wanted to send you a big hug as well! Think about why you started PC and what you want to get out of it. I'm sure you have set goals for yourself, but have you written them down? Then write up all the baby steps you need to do each day to accomplish your goals. I was close to calling it quits about 6 months ago too. When I spoke with my director, she reminded me why I started with PC...because I LOVE the products and wanted to earn some extra money. I didn't really want to quit, but I felt so down about not having any business. So I put together some goals for 2006 and am working towards them! I only had one show in January, one show in February, one show in March, none in April and my calendar is pretty clear right now! So I'm trying to drum up some business too!

Have you ever had a white sale? I send out an email to EVERYONE I know and let them know that I'm having sale (for a couple of days or a week). Everything WHITE in the catalog is 10% off. Actually I've done a couple of sales and sometimes no one bites and other times I've gotten $200-$400 in orders!

I also try to meet new people by taking my sons to storytime at the library or taking them to the playground. I chitchat...make small talk about the kids...and then ask them if they are stay-at-home moms or if they work. Usually that prompts them to ask me the same question and I can talk about PC!

What about giving gifts for referrals? Let everyone know that you are going to give them a free ______ if they refer someone who books and holds a show.

Keep asking and you WILL find hosts, customers and recruits!

Cat--the ad space is about $25/week. Your paper may be cheaper. The circulation is HUGE!! The city I am in is constantly growing, so people are coming from out of state with no Pampered Chef reference and they are looking for a new consultant.

Thank you -- every single one of you -- so much for all of your encouragement. It has helped me not only to remain positive about my business, but you've boosted my spirits and have given me that little "oomph" to get the ball rolling again -- no matter what comes my way. (sometimes we just need restarted/recharged when our batteries are low) I know that one of the awesome things about PC is also a pretty big hindrance to me--being my own boss. Sometimes I'm so terrible at motivating myself and holding myself accountable to tasks and such. So, it can be hard at times. But there is power in determination and I am determined to set myself goals no matter how difficult they may seem. I've always been one to love a challenge. My husband reminds me all the time how I told him back before we got married and we were just (secretly in love) best friends, that I wanted the husband God picked for me to challenge me.. LOL. Yep, THAT is how much I love challenges.. I guess I just am on the blegh side right now, and I need to remind myself of why I love being challenged and what good comes out of it all.

So, I'm going to make myself some little goals. I already started today. I'm contacting some local realtors (realtor gifts), checking out my calendar for a possible open house next weekend, contacting the local ACS branch office to see if there is an opening in a different county's RFL day, and going to bite the bullet and drop by some local hair salons and dr's offices with some munchies and HWC information/catalogs. I have coupons for "50% off one product with a $500 show *excluding cookware pieces/sets" coupons.. but I'm not sure what to do with them. I made them put in show packets, but is there any other place I can put them? Should I put them in with the catalogs/HWC information for the hair salons? Any other ideas for the coupons? Also, I'm going to get organized, and most of all, start praying for my business to BOOM. Again, thank you all for your incredible help.. I hope I wasn't too repetitive -- I know there are a good bit of these kinds of posts.. I knew I could count on you guys to jumpstart me again!

pchefinski said:
So, I'm going to make myself some little goals. I already started today.[/B][/COLOR]

I'm so glad you turned yourself around! You are doing the right thing with "little goals". Sometimes it is hard to, say, clean the WHOLE house in one day. If we split it up into smaller portions it is easier to digest. I tend to get overwhelmed with things and then shut down. Not a good way to get things done! So, remember to write down your big goals and then split them into manageable pieces. Don't schedule too many in one day - schedule less than you think you can get done. When you accomplish all of them you feel good. When you are able to get a jump on tomorrow's list you feel GREAT!:D

June Dollar Days saleAmanda,

I hope everything does turn around for you. There is nothing better than a supportive husband, so we need to help you keep him that way! I am relatively new to PC, so I haven't experienced the troubles you are talking about - should I say yet, or remain positive and end the sentence there?

One of the things I am doing for June is offering a Dollar Days sale. I found the flyer here and adjusted to meet my needs. I have attached it, but if you cannot open it, go to "files" on this website, and search for "dollar days". If you can afford to offer this promotion, it got me 5 shows for June, and I have several others interested. You can email it to everyone and let them know you are ready to start booking!

I wish you the best, and you will be included in my prayers,
Nancy

Attachments

• June Dollar Days 2.doc
    204 KB · Views: 388

1. How did Amanda find the motivation to keep pushing forward in her business?

Amanda found encouragement by surrounding herself with positive and supportive people who believed in her and her business. She also made it a priority to attend personal development events and workshops to stay motivated and inspired.

2. What challenges did Amanda face in her business and how did she overcome them?

Amanda faced challenges such as self-doubt, financial struggles, and balancing work and family life. She overcame these challenges by seeking advice and support from mentors and staying focused on her goals and the bigger picture.

3. How did Amanda stay motivated during the slow periods in her business?

Amanda stayed motivated by setting small achievable goals for herself and her business, celebrating her successes, and constantly reminding herself of her "why" - the reason she started her business in the first place.

4. What advice does Amanda have for entrepreneurs struggling to find encouragement in their business?

Amanda advises entrepreneurs to never give up, to surround themselves with positive and supportive people, and to continuously invest in personal growth and development. She also emphasizes the importance of staying focused on the bigger picture and remembering their "why".

5. How did Amanda's business grow and thrive despite the challenges she faced?

Amanda's business grew and thrived because she never gave up and continuously adapted and evolved her business strategies. She also stayed true to her brand and values, and consistently provided exceptional customer service and quality products to her clients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • beckysuem
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
frozenchef
Replies