• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Transfer Everything from One Laptop to Another?

to put it in a folder and then move them. I have to copy them all over. If you have MS Outlook, you can export all your messages to a file and then import them into a new Outlook Express account.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I just bought a new laptop. Nothing wrong with this current one I'm on right now but I had the opportunity for a great deal and my DH is getting frustrated fighting with the DD and DS or waiting for his turn (each child gets a max of one hour a day on the computer, but after dinner, chores and activities all three seem to want to get on it at the same time) So I'm getting the new one and DH is getting this laptop.

My question is this...how on earth do I transfer everything from one to the other? I know how to transfer PP - download program and then update using my thumb drive but I don't know how to transfer email addys for one. I have over 300 of those for my newsletter customers alone. They are not in a group, just a subfolder in Outlook Express that says Newsletter Customers and then the 300 names.

I also have no idea how to get all my internet favorites without having to type each web addy - and I have tons of those as well on here. Lots under 'PC' and even more just under my name. Do I have to type each individual addy?

I know how to transfer my docs and pics but other then that I'm clueless, nervous and even a little scared :eek: I've had the new laptop for 2 days now and it's still in the box because once I have it open and on then I need to start doing all of this and I'm dreading it.

Can anyone help? And please remember, I'll need 'steps for dummies' since I'm totally computer ILliterate! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

For your favorites, go to my computer, double click the c drive, double click on documents and settings, double click on your user name, there should be a folder there callef favorites and probably is represented by a star icon. right click on it and choose copy, now open another my computer and double click on the drive that is represented by your thumb drive, right click in the white space and choose paste.

I'm not sure about you're e-mails though, I only use MS Outlook.

Email addresses are usually saved as a file somehow by the program. There may be info in the Help for the program about transferring them to a new machine.(Sorry I'm not a lot of help. I haven't used Windows since P3 came out for Mac last fall... and moving stuff to a new computer on Macs is a piece of cake.)

for emails in your outlook go to file, import export, click export to a file, comma sepperated values, click your contact's file, next will be where it is saved. Make sure you watch where it goes and you can change it. I would save to a thumb drive so you can move it over. Insert your thumb "usb" drive. On the save to screen click browse and then click the file up tab (next to the path name at the top) till you get to "my computer" click on "removeable device" than click OK. Click next and finish.

To save them on the new computer again go to import/export click import from another program or file, CSV, Browse to find your removeable device as before, click your saved file, chose if you want to allow duplicates, select contacts folder, click finish.

that should do it.

Thanks Kelly, I now have my favorites on this new laptop. Easy peasy thanks to you :D

I'm now off to try what Paulette explained for my email....keeping fingers crossed ;)

good luck with the e-mail, I'm not sure that it will work quite that easy. MS Outlook and Outlook Express are two totally different products, and those are the steps for Outlook. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to do some research for you. It's just been years since I've used outlook express.

Darn...I was PRAYING for easy!

Well, I'm copying my docs right now and then I'll try the email thing...can you tell I'm hesitant ;)

Thank you SO much Paulette, it worked! Well, kinda.

Kelly you were right - not that easy. I did what Paulette instructed and all email addresses transferred over. They are all however in one folder so I'm double checking and cut and pasting into 'pc', 'newsletter', personal, cluster etc.

However, I now need to know how to transfer my messages. I have 7 years worth of executor stuff (grandmother's estate) plus I have a copy of each pc newsletter I send, reference numbers for adjustments, etc.

I can't figure out how to transfer the messages. It won't allow me to follow the same procedure as the address book. I'm using Outlook Express 6. Anyone?

Can you just save all the old emails to a file for referance?

No ideas for you on express.... I did not transfer emails just my contact info.

I also have all my contacts saved to an excel doc if you have that option it is good for backup.

Good luck!

1. How can I reset my computer to its factory settings?

To reset your computer to its factory settings, you will need to access the recovery options on your computer. The process may vary depending on your computer's brand and operating system, but it usually involves pressing a specific key during startup or going into the computer's settings. Once you access the recovery options, you can choose the option to reset your computer to its original state.

2. My computer is running slow, what can I do?

If your computer is running slow, there are a few things you can do to speed it up. First, make sure your computer's operating system and software are up to date. You can also try freeing up space on your hard drive by deleting unnecessary files and programs. Additionally, running a virus scan and clearing your browser's cache can also help improve the speed of your computer.

3. How do I connect my computer to Wi-Fi?

To connect your computer to Wi-Fi, you will need to make sure your computer has a wireless network adapter. Then, locate the Wi-Fi icon on your computer's taskbar or go into your computer's settings to find available networks. Select the network you want to connect to and enter the password if required. Your computer should then be connected to Wi-Fi.

4. What should I do if my computer won't turn on?

If your computer won't turn on, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure your computer is properly plugged in and that the power outlet is working. If that doesn't work, try holding down the power button for a few seconds to see if it will turn on. If none of these steps work, there may be an issue with your computer's hardware and it may need to be checked by a professional.

5. How do I transfer files from one computer to another?

To transfer files from one computer to another, you can use an external hard drive, USB drive, or cloud storage service. Simply copy the files onto the chosen storage device and then transfer them to the other computer. Another option is to use a file-sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive to easily transfer files between computers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mandydollie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab