1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Need computer help please

1. kcjodih

kcjodih Legacy Member Gold Member

I just bought a new laptop. Nothing wrong with this current one I'm on right now but I had the opportunity for a great deal and my DH is getting frustrated fighting with the DD and DS or waiting for his turn (each child gets a max of one hour a day on the computer, but after dinner, chores and activities all three seem to want to get on it at the same time) So I'm getting the new one and DH is getting this laptop.

My question is this...how on earth do I transfer everything from one to the other? I know how to transfer PP - download program and then update using my thumb drive but I don't know how to transfer email addys for one. I have over 300 of those for my newsletter customers alone. They are not in a group, just a subfolder in Outlook Express that says Newsletter Customers and then the 300 names.

I also have no idea how to get all my internet favorites without having to type each web addy - and I have tons of those as well on here. Lots under 'PC' and even more just under my name. Do I have to type each individual addy?

I know how to transfer my docs and pics but other then that I'm clueless, nervous and even a little scared :eek: I've had the new laptop for 2 days now and it's still in the box because once I have it open and on then I need to start doing all of this and I'm dreading it.

Can anyone help? And please remember, I'll need 'steps for dummies' since I'm totally computer ILliterate! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

May 2, 2009
  2. pckellyd

pckellyd Member Gold Member

For your favorites, go to my computer, double click the c drive, double click on documents and settings, double click on your user name, there should be a folder there callef favorites and probably is represented by a star icon. right click on it and choose copy, now open another my computer and double click on the drive that is represented by your thumb drive, right click in the white space and choose paste.

I'm not sure about you're e-mails though, I only use MS Outlook.

May 2, 2009
  3. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Email addresses are usually saved as a file somehow by the program. There may be info in the Help for the program about transferring them to a new machine.

(Sorry I'm not a lot of help. I haven't used Windows since P3 came out for Mac last fall... and moving stuff to a new computer on Macs is a piece of cake.)

May 2, 2009
  4. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

for emails in your outlook go to file, import export, click export to a file, comma sepperated values, click your contact's file, next will be where it is saved. Make sure you watch where it goes and you can change it. I would save to a thumb drive so you can move it over. Insert your thumb "usb" drive. On the save to screen click browse and then click the file up tab (next to the path name at the top) till you get to "my computer" click on "removeable device" than click OK. Click next and finish.

To save them on the new computer again go to import/export click import from another program or file, CSV, Browse to find your removeable device as before, click your saved file, chose if you want to allow duplicates, select contacts folder, click finish.

that should do it.

May 2, 2009
  5. kcjodih

Thanks Kelly, I now have my favorites on this new laptop. Easy peasy thanks to you :D

I'm now off to try what Paulette explained for my email....keeping fingers crossed ;)

May 3, 2009
  6. pckellyd

pckellyd Member Gold Member

good luck with the e-mail, I'm not sure that it will work quite that easy. MS Outlook and Outlook Express are two totally different products, and those are the steps for Outlook. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to do some research for you. It's just been years since I've used outlook express.

May 3, 2009
  7. kcjodih

Darn...I was PRAYING for easy!

Well, I'm copying my docs right now and then I'll try the email thing...can you tell I'm hesitant ;)

May 3, 2009
  8. kcjodih

Thank you SO much Paulette, it worked! Well, kinda.

Kelly you were right - not that easy. I did what Paulette instructed and all email addresses transferred over. They are all however in one folder so I'm double checking and cut and pasting into 'pc', 'newsletter', personal, cluster etc.

However, I now need to know how to transfer my messages. I have 7 years worth of executor stuff (grandmother's estate) plus I have a copy of each pc newsletter I send, reference numbers for adjustments, etc.

I can't figure out how to transfer the messages. It won't allow me to follow the same procedure as the address book. I'm using Outlook Express 6. Anyone?

May 4, 2009
  9. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

Can you just save all the old emails to a file for referance?

No ideas for you on express.... I did not transfer emails just my contact info.

I also have all my contacts saved to an excel doc if you have that option it is good for backup.

Good luck!

May 4, 2009
Have something to add?