• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Make Delicious Beans and Ham Using a Slow Cooker?

In summary, Kelly found that soaking the beans overnight before cooking them made them more tender and flavorful. She also found that adding a sliced onion and a can of tomato sauce to the pot helped to add flavor. She recommends these methods to others. She also suggests using vinegar in various dishes for flavor, such as a bowl of soup. She recommends freezing leftover beans for later use.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
With everyone talking about beans and ham and using a splash of vinegar to eat them, I am hungry for some good beans! My ex-MIL made THE BEST BEANS, how do I do it?

ok, kelly- here is how I do it- I buy a large bag of beans (2 lb I think) of Great Northern Beans, and soak them over night- First I pick through them, and pick rocks, etc out, rinse them well, then soak them in water over night. In the morning, pour out th ewater, and rinse them well, then

1. Cut up 1 large onion, and put in bottom of stock pot
2. Put in 1 ham bone, if you have one, or 2 ham hocks
3. add beans that have been soaked
4. Cover wth cold water, (about 2-3 inches above the beans) put on a lid, and turn up the heat until they boil, once they start boiling, turn the heat down to Simmer, and let them cook- stirring occasionally. I usually leave the lid 1/2 on, 1/2 off.

Keep an eye on them, and make sure they do not run low on water- If you forget to turn down the heat- they will run dry and burn

Once the beans are tender, but not mushy,(about 1 hour) turn off, and fish out the bone- Cut the ham off the bone, and return the ham to the pot (throw away bone)
They will thicken up once you turn off the pot. I think they taste better the 2nd day.
Also, in regards to the vinegar- iI use a dash of white vinegar in a bowl of soup, use the capful, and then add more to taste.

I do mine almost exactly like Sue. Except I throw a bay leaf in there also.

If I am making soup, I add chicken or vegetable soup base to the water.
I agree - it's better the next day.

It's funny, but I've also always done the vinegar the same way too! by the capful!:chef::D

oh,Becky- I never thought of a bay leaf- I learned from my G-Ma, I don;t think she used one. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks! I will be adding those ingredients to my grocery list and giving this a try ASAP!

I have made my beans and ham just like you have said, but never used the vinegar. Is it for the flavor or the gas?

I NEVER soak them just bring them to a boil and reduce the heat or put them in my crockpot.
I add a whole peeled potato (probably an old wives tale but my granny did it to cut down the gas factor) it does work
I sometimes add a chopped carrots and a can of tomato sauce
I also add butter

tlag1986 said:
I have made my beans and ham just like you have said, but never used the vinegar. Is it for the flavor or the gas?

Never thought about it being for the gas - I was raised eating beans this way, and I've just always done it that way for the flavor. LOVE them that way!

The vinegar is just for the flavor- beano is for the Gas (LOL)

OK ladies...I made them and they were SUPER! (I added two pressed cloves of garlic and some hot seasonings....)

Now I have another question....can I freeze the leftovers? I am trying to get some extra meals put away into the freezer for when the baby comes!

Yes you can freeze the beans.

tlag1986 said:
Yes you can freeze the beans.

Thanks! Good thing, cuz I already bagged them up and froze them!! lol

Kelly, I am glad it worked for you .

I do mine very simple. I use the beans in the jar that are already soft:)! I then just add chopped up ham (I always have left-over in the freezer). I put them in the slow cooker in the morning on low and eat them at night. The ham flavors the beans. If you like onion or spices you can add them too. I like mine plain.

1. How do I make the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" in a slow cooker?

To make the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" in a slow cooker, you will need to first soak the beans overnight and then add them to the slow cooker with diced ham, onions, and seasonings. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

2. Can I substitute the ham with another protein in the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!"?

Yes, you can substitute the ham with another protein such as bacon, sausage, or even chicken. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and add in any other desired seasonings for flavor.

3. How many servings does the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" make?

The "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" typically makes 6-8 servings, depending on the portion size. You can easily double the recipe for larger crowds or leftovers.

4. Can I use canned beans instead of dried beans in the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!"?

Yes, you can use canned beans instead of dried beans in the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" Just make sure to drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the recipe. Keep in mind that the cooking time may be shorter when using canned beans.

5. Can I freeze the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" for later use?

Yes, you can freeze the "Need Beans and Ham Recipe!" for later use. Just make sure to let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JWorks
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
tlennhoff
  • letscook04
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • jenniferlynne